Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Zojirushi NP-NWC10XB Pressure Induction Rice Cooker $512.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 3:25 am
Nov 2, 2012
214 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I recently bought a $12 rice cooker at No Frills when they had one of their usual sales. TOTAL GARBAGE, rice came out burnt at the bottom, don't waste you money on any of the one button rice cooker.

Got a warehouse deal Cuckoo P1009S off Amazon.ca, practically brand new for ~$260 all in, only had a crack plastic part that didn't affect the function at all. Love the pressure cooking function, really speed up the cooking process, even works on lamb, pork and beef that I throw in with the rice.

The rice does come out fluffier and pearly, very tasty, even old rice came out great. You're buying for the cooking programming, induction heating, and pressure cooking function, I can see why it's expensive, but $500 is way too much.
Last edited by iconicrocket1 on Oct 14th, 2020 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5092 posts
5534 upvotes
Toronto
Noobzilla wrote: I fraught with skepticism. I'd like to see a randomized double blind study - a taste test for rice made with:
$20 pot + water
$90 pressure cooker
$500 rice cooker
I would volunteer to cook the rice in pot (I bring my own pot though)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
Noobzilla wrote: I fraught with skepticism. I'd like to see a randomized double blind study - a taste test for rice made with:
$20 pot + water
$90 pressure cooker
$500 rice cooker
While not exactly as per request, here's a comparo vid by a lady that seems to know her stuff. At least she's got a god awful lot of cooking/recipe vids. I'd definitely trust her taste buds a lot more than mine.

BTW I'm not saying one can't make great rice with a pot & a stove. However, its the consistency & lack of monitoring that's the killer.
May 2, 2017
174 posts
216 upvotes
The budget pick for a competent rice cooker is and has been for many years the Zojirushi Micom (Neuro Fuzzy). It's simple, durable, and reliable. From experience, it always cooks rice efficiently and coating in pot lasts a long time. Absolute best bang for your buck.

Next up is IH, which is costlier for more functions on top of being a rice cooker. Supposedly makes fluffier and better tasting rice, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference compared to the Micom for plain rice cooking. Its pot also undergoes greater heat stresses leading to more wear on the coating, although newer versions may have improved?

Then there's IH + pressure, which costs significantly more both in price and electricity usage. I've not been able to justify buying one hence no experience. It better be built more robust since its internals go through so much stress regularly.
Jun 18, 2006
291 posts
289 upvotes
Burnaby
Thank you OP for posting the deal. I wonder what are the main differences between this NP-nwc10xb and the Np-nvc10 which is available from London drugs? Price point wise, they are vey close.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2042 posts
696 upvotes
Ottawa
if you want really nice rice cooker, try Japanese Siroca but you need transformer to use in Canada. btw, it is a 1200$ rice cooker.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
$20 pot + water
$90 pressure cooker
$500 rice cooker
you have to use zoji's $200 water boiler for best water

bed-bath-and-beyond-zojirushi-hybrid-va ... 6-2409448/

And then eat that rice out of a $100 rice bowl to truly appreciate rice! You're not a REAL rice eater if you don't
teksavvy sucks
Sep 26, 2006
877 posts
253 upvotes
North York
supramessiah wrote: Thank you OP for posting the deal. I wonder what are the main differences between this NP-nwc10xb and the Np-nvc10 which is available from London drugs? Price point wise, they are vey close.
Differences
Preset for congee, jasmine and steel cut oats.
colour scheme.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1539 posts
960 upvotes
daviiiiiid wrote: It was after coming back from a work trip. Went from white to very light beige.
Bro, not a doctor, but I would be skeptical about eating something that sat in a Teflon covered container for a while.
I remember a investigative report from a while back when an old lady forgot a Teflon frying pan on the stove, the Teflon burned completely and the lady found her parrot dead from the fumes. Now that's investigative reporting, who knew Teflon can be toxic?
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1833 posts
2707 upvotes
Other Side of Tracks
They probably don't have the burnt rice feature in these expensive machines which defeats the whole purpose of a rice maker Smiling Face With Open Mouth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_rice
I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
redkid wrote: would uncle roger approve of this?
Uncle Roger will only approve if its laced with lotsa MSG. Uncle Roger is "taste over safety" otherwise nooo gooood!
Sep 28, 2008
920 posts
1111 upvotes
Just buy an instant pot. You're paying $400 for convenience with this one.
Jan 22, 2019
435 posts
459 upvotes
Why would I need this when my Uncle Ben rice says I can microwave the package?

/s
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6304 upvotes
Prince George
govas19 wrote: Bro, not a doctor, but I would be skeptical about eating something that sat in a Teflon covered container for a while.
I remember a investigative report from a while back when an old lady forgot a Teflon frying pan on the stove, the Teflon burned completely and the lady found her parrot dead from the fumes. Now that's investigative reporting, who knew Teflon can be toxic?
I thought everyone knew Teflon can become toxic if you burn the crap out of it.

At low temperatures it’s completely inert and I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about eating some of it. I’d be much more concerned about bacterial growth in a situation like days old rice.
Nov 18, 2006
139 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Money better spent on buying high quality rice in my opinion.
Feb 20, 2015
42 posts
84 upvotes
Markham, ON
Uncle Roger will roll his eyes with a big Hai-Yah!
Jan 15, 2017
353 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
To the people saying you can just cook rice in a pot, you probably just don't eat that much rice. If you are like a lot of asians, who eat rice literally every day, you need a rice cooker for the convenience and consistency. That said, you don't need a fancy rice cooker. I consider a $200 Zojirushi to be pretty fancy already. The difference if any is minute. When you eat it every day as a staple, it's really just a filler. That tiny amount of difference in flavor and texture is really not important, in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5092 posts
5534 upvotes
Toronto
govas19 wrote: Bro, not a doctor, but I would be skeptical about eating something that sat in a Teflon covered container for a while.
buddy, if you forget anything on the stove while it is on, not only will it become toxic, but also carcinogenic. but like the previous poster mentioned, teflon is completely inert in room temperature and if ingested, it just passes through your system. https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... f-ingested