• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 4:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2006
81 posts
114 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] Zwilling Henckels Twin Gourmet 10pc knife block $169

Just picked up this knife set. Ticket price is 199 but there is a coupon that showed up today for 30.00 off. This is the 2 man one that has a good set of knives :

2.75" Vegetable Knife | 4" Paring Knife | 5" Tomato & Bagel Knife | 6" Utility Knife | 8" Chef's Knife | 8" Bread Knife | 7" Santoku Knife | Twin L Kitchen Shears | Sharpening Steel
14 replies
Dec 10, 2005
582 posts
209 upvotes
It is a decent entry level set but I would recommend in investing into a decent separate knives. All you need is a chefs knife, pairing knife and a bread knife + sharpening steel.
Sep 1, 2008
410 posts
620 upvotes
Too bad it's Made in Spain instead of Made in Germany.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2902 posts
5817 upvotes
vortex240 wrote: It is a decent entry level set but I would recommend in investing into a decent separate knives. All you need is a chefs knife, pairing knife and a bread knife + sharpening steel.
People who watch a lot of cooking shows tend to echo this a lot, but this piece of wisdom was really referring to the 27 piece sets that cost $700 rather than a 10 piece set that costs $170.

At $170, you’d be hard pressed to find similar value buying knives separately.
May 30, 2015
233 posts
216 upvotes
Badder wrote: Too bad it's Made in Spain instead of Made in Germany.
Why is that ? How can you justify this? Spain has the same people as in Germany as in the rest of the world.
Sep 1, 2008
410 posts
620 upvotes
FriendlyUnit wrote: Why is that ? How can you justify this? Spain has the same people as in Germany as in the rest of the world.
This is like saying: A McDonald's restaurant has the same people working there as a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, therefore the meals are equivalent.
Feb 21, 2013
145 posts
125 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: People who watch a lot of cooking shows tend to echo this a lot, but this piece of wisdom was really referring to the 27 piece sets that cost $700 rather than a 10 piece set that costs $170.

More than half of these knives are not going to see regular use, and their functions can be covered by the minority that do get used. Having a 6" utility knife, 7" santoku, and 8" chefs knife seems like overkill because these largely can do the same things. Same with the 2.75" vegetable knife, 4" paring knife, and 5" ...tomato & bagel knife?

Yeah, for $170 it would be hard to find a similar deal in terms of quality and actual volume of steel/materials that you get... but you're probably paying an extra 100$ for knives, a pair of kitchen shears, and a block that you may or may not use.
Dec 10, 2005
582 posts
209 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: People who watch a lot of cooking shows tend to echo this a lot, but this piece of wisdom was really referring to the 27 piece sets that cost $700 rather than a 10 piece set that costs $170.

I have to respectfully disagree here. More is NOT better when you get low quality steel that will loose its edge very quicky.

My first chef knife was a entry level Henkles - it was a waste of money, it would get dull, was poorly balanced in the hand the handle cracked.

But hey - it's your money. You get what you pay for and no one needs 10 knives, seems like you don't really do any kitchen work, hence this is the advice you provide. As I said you need a chef knife and a pairing knife, you can even skip a bread knife but its nice to have.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2902 posts
5817 upvotes
czenxa wrote: More than half of these knives are not going to see regular use, and their functions can be covered by the minority that do get used. Having a 6" utility knife, 7" santoku, and 8" chefs knife seems like overkill because these largely can do the same things. Same with the 2.75" vegetable knife, 4" paring knife, and 5" ...tomato & bagel knife?

Yeah, for $170 it would be hard to find a similar deal in terms of quality and actual volume of steel/materials that you get... but you're probably paying an extra 100$ for knives, a pair of kitchen shears, and a block that you may or may not use.
Not an ideal purchase for everyone, I agree.
Even if you were to buy a chefs knife, pairing and bread knife of similar quality you'd be either close to $100 or slightly over.
I would say a honing steel, shears and block/or magnetic strip are also kitchen essentials

Lets say you bought these well reviewed but low cost items your total would be $80~
Bread: https://www.amazon.ca/Tojiro-Bread-Slic ... B001TPA816 (not actually $16, add $10 for shipping)
Paring: https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Cutler ... B0019WXPQY
Chef: https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Fibrox ... B000638D32

Assuming you also buy a honing steel, shears, and block for $60 total, that puts you at $140 all in, would you not pay $30 more for 4 extra knives?
Dec 10, 2005
582 posts
209 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: Not an ideal purchase for everyone, I agree.
Even if you were to buy a chefs knife, pairing and bread knife of similar quality you'd be either close to $100 or slightly over.
I would say a honing steel, shears and block/or magnetic strip are also kitchen essentials

Lets say you bought these well reviewed but low cost items your total would be $80~
Bread: https://www.amazon.ca/Tojiro-Bread-Slic ... B001TPA816 (not actually $16, add $10 for shipping)

Assuming you also buy a honing steel, shears, and block for $60 total, that puts you at $140 all in, would you not pay $30 more for 4 extra knives?
$30 more for 4 extra knives? - of poor quality

It seems you are missing the point people that know are trying to convey to you - more is NOT better when it comes to proper kitchen equipment.

For anyone looking for a high quality chef knife - which will run you $100+ from Henkles, Wusthoff or Victorinox - the below is a professional knife $26, uses the same forged X50CvMov 15 HRC 55 metal blade as those high end knives(I own one for over a year and it easily matches my Wusthoff classic.

https://www.amazon.ca/Norpro-Kleve-8-In ... way&sr=8-2
Dec 1, 2015
106 posts
128 upvotes
toronto
czenxa wrote: More than half of these knives are not going to see regular use, and their functions can be covered by the minority that do get used. Having a 6" utility knife, 7" santoku, and 8" chefs knife seems like overkill because these largely can do the same things. Same with the 2.75" vegetable knife, 4" paring knife, and 5" ...tomato & bagel knife?

The point is you have more knives for when one gets dirty and you get a feel for which style you like best. That said the victorinox chefs knife is still the best Ive had. Has stayed sharp for almost a year of everyday use.
Feb 21, 2013
145 posts
125 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: Not an ideal purchase for everyone, I agree.

Again, yeah, $30 sounds great for 4 extra knives of mediocre-to-average quality from a pure mass standpoint... but why? You're just spending more for extra clutter IMO.

That being said I really want one of those magnetic strips in my kitchen...
dbuudz wrote: The point is you have more knives for when one gets dirty and you get a feel for which style you like best. That said the victorinox chefs knife is still the best Ive had. Has stayed sharp for almost a year of everyday use.
Okay, so you get a feel for which knife you like... and now you have 7 other knives you don't use. Do you really want to pay more for the every day clutter of having 10 knives on a block when you only use 2 or 3 knives? I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of homes where knife blocks and spice racks sit and collect counter space. You can maybe make the argument of having two knives per "size category" if you are too lazy to clean your knife after use.... but to justify having three knives in each category you are just being lazy at that point.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2902 posts
5817 upvotes
vortex240 wrote: 1 My first chef knife was a entry level Henkles - it was a waste of money, it would get dull, was poorly balanced in the hand the handle cracked.

2 But hey - it's your money. You get what you pay for and no one needs 10 knives, seems like you don't really do any kitchen work, hence this is the advice you provide. As I said you need a chef knife and a pairing knife, you can even skip a bread knife but its nice to have.
vortex240 wrote: $30 more for 4 extra knives? - of poor quality
3 It seems you are missing the point people that know are trying to convey to you - more is NOT better when it comes to proper kitchen equipment.

For anyone looking for a high quality chef knife - which will run you $100+ from Henkles, Wusthoff or Victorinox - the below is a professional knife $26, uses the same forged X50CvMov 15 HRC 55 metal blade as those high end knives(I own one for over a year and it easily matches my Wusthoff classic.

1 Damn, I cant argue with that kind of anecdotal evidence.

2 You are making assumptions on my culinary experience, based on me telling average consumers on a non enthusiast forum that spending $170 for 9 knives + a block is okay?
I'm not telling people looking for $300 Mayabi or Shun singles that that they should buy this. I'm coming from a place saying that for someone with no knives or basic knives, this is a good set to practice with or use for day to day kitchen work. Not everyone who purchases things needs enthusiast grade products or is prepared to pay enthusiast prices.

2+3 More isn't better, more is more. If you cook as a family you'll have more than two knives.
At home I have many knives and some knives are designed for specific tasks (yanagiba, honestuki, nakiri, meat cleaver) because nothing works as well as something purpose built.
You could get by with less, but why?
Dec 10, 2005
582 posts
209 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: 1 Damn, I cant argue with that kind of anecdotal evidence.

2 You are making assumptions on my culinary experience, based on me telling average consumers on a non enthusiast forum that spending $170 for 9 knives + a block is okay?
I'm not telling people looking for $300 Mayabi or Shun singles that that they should buy this. I'm coming from a place saying that for someone with no knives or basic knives, this is a good set to practice with or use for day to day kitchen work. Not everyone who purchases things needs enthusiast grade products or is prepared to pay enthusiast prices.

2+3 More isn't better, more is more. If you cook as a family you'll have more than two knives.
At home I have many knives and some knives are designed for specific tasks (yanagiba, honestuki, nakiri, meat cleaver) because nothing works as well as something purpose built.
You could get by with less, but why?
Sorry - but this is just terrible advice as far as putting smart money into your kitchen.

At the end of the day the person buying this on your advice will be out $170 + tax, when they can have a higher quality set that will last longer and will be better to use on daily basis for less.

Ya - let me go buy low end stamped steel knives that will have chipped cutting edges in less then a year - but since I have 10 of them, I can just go and use the next knife in the block, even though its smaller and less comfortable to use properly.

Seems you are here to argue for the sake of arguing. There is nothing more I want to add, have a nice weekend.