Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon Canada

Slim RFID blocking wallet with gift box on sale 23% off

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2019 12:29 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 26, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes

Slim RFID blocking wallet with gift box on sale 23% off

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Amazon Canada
This wallet looks good, Nice design and Good looking.

I am not sure that RFID blocking is very useful and safe. Here is the link of RFID skimming in Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID_skimming
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by sallyfx on Sep 1st, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
The Swiss wallets on clearance sale for $9.99 at Costco were better, I'm still rocking one today.

$20 seems like market price for these things.

That said, the design is different in your product OP and folks may prefer it.

Thank you for the effort, upvoted.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5601 posts
2548 upvotes
Kitchener
I read that RFID blocking is not useful.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
Thundercloud wrote: I read that RFID blocking is not useful.
RFID readers only work within 5cm or so. All this RFID blocking stuff is essentially a scam
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Yeah I'm not suspicious or anything.... /s
tablo13 wrote: RFID readers only work within 5cm or so. All this RFID blocking stuff is essentially a scam
I mean... 5cm is still close enough that someone with a reader could wave it near your purse/ass and get a reading.
Maybe not purse depending on how it's sitting, but wallet in a pocket? That's easily within 5cm.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Worse than useless imo.

I find it convenient to tap hotel key cards and credit cards from within my wallet!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
death_hawk wrote: Yeah I'm not suspicious or anything.... /s

I mean... 5cm is still close enough that someone with a reader could wave it near your purse/ass and get a reading.
Maybe not purse depending on how it's sitting, but wallet in a pocket? That's easily within 5cm.
That requires someone getting or waving something real close to you. Not that plausible and it’s suspicious enough.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: That requires someone getting or waving something real close to you. Not that plausible and it’s suspicious enough.
I mean... the attack isn't that common, but you don't even need misdirection if you're not touching the mark.
Walk next to someone in a crowded area and you have ample time to get near someone's ass without them noticing.
Bonus points if it's a dude because

1) If it's a female, someone else might think you're grabbing her ass.
2) Not that it matters anyway since guys are the only ones that carry their wallets on their ass.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Banned
Aug 26, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes
RFID skimming
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RFID skimming is a method to unlawfully obtain someones payment card information.

How RFID skimming is performed

Modern payment cards have a built in chip that transmits the cards' information wirelessly. This is because it is necessary in order to enable contactless payments, which has become increasingly popular during recent years.[1] Criminals can take advantage of this new technology by using a scanner that wirelessly scans the victim's payment card in the same way that a cash register scans it, when making a contactless payment. These scanners are legal and can be bought in regular electronics stores.[2]

Most modern mobile phones running Android OS have a built in NFC reader that can be used to unlawfully scan contactless payment cards.[3] A criminal can hide the scanner e.g. inside a glove or a bag, and then place himself close to the victim and wirelessly steal the victim's payment card information.[4]

With the wirelessly obtained payment card information, the criminal can use it to make fraudulent purchases online.[5] This is called Card Not Present fraud.

Methods for preventing RFID skimming

RFID Blocking materials
There are several products you can buy which help stop your cards being skimmed. They are RFID blocking wallets, purses, sleeves, and cards. Wallets, purses and sleeves work by acting as a faraday cage which creates a screen around your cards which stops electromagnetic fields interacting with the cards. The RFID blocking cards are the same shape and size as a regular credit card and work by interfering with signals from a card reader and block any transactions.[11]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: 2) Not that it matters anyway since guys are the only ones that carry their wallets on their ass.
I carry my wallet in my front pockets...

Edit
I hate sitting on my wallet, it's uncomfortable and you are not sitting upright. Oh and getting it stealed more easily than someone passing with a RFID...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
elpaso wrote: I carry my wallet in my front pockets...
That doesn't really change anything. Someone walking beside you could still get within 5cm.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Theyre useful, in that they do its intended job.

The reason people say theyre pointless though is because its alot easier to just buy stolen credit card info (ie. a website is compromised, and the stolen data is sold)
Apr 14, 2017
749 posts
717 upvotes
sallyfx wrote: RFID skimming
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RFID skimming is a method to unlawfully obtain someones payment card information.

How RFID skimming is performed

Modern payment cards have a built in chip that transmits the cards' information wirelessly. This is because it is necessary in order to enable contactless payments, which has become increasingly popular during recent years.[1] Criminals can take advantage of this new technology by using a scanner that wirelessly scans the victim's payment card in the same way that a cash register scans it, when making a contactless payment. These scanners are legal and can be bought in regular electronics stores.[2]

Most modern mobile phones running Android OS have a built in NFC reader that can be used to unlawfully scan contactless payment cards.[3] A criminal can hide the scanner e.g. inside a glove or a bag, and then place himself close to the victim and wirelessly steal the victim's payment card information.[4]

With the wirelessly obtained payment card information, the criminal can use it to make fraudulent purchases online.[5] This is called Card Not Present fraud.

Methods for preventing RFID skimming

RFID Blocking materials
There are several products you can buy which help stop your cards being skimmed. They are RFID blocking wallets, purses, sleeves, and cards. Wallets, purses and sleeves work by acting as a faraday cage which creates a screen around your cards which stops electromagnetic fields interacting with the cards. The RFID blocking cards are the same shape and size as a regular credit card and work by interfering with signals from a card reader and block any transactions.[11]
From the same page:
This article's factual accuracy is disputed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID_skimming
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Let's not argue about RFID skimming: yes it's rare, requires close proximity, but it happens.

That's reason enough to introduce the trivial cost of RFID shielding into wallets. Most decent wallets have them now, and no one is removing the shielding, so let's move on gentlemen.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)