• Jul 28th, 2020 2:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3969 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge

Amazon Caught Selling a 16TB External Hard Drive With 8TB Drive Inside

Be careful when you order Amazon "Warehouse Deals", as this PC Magazine article shows. Warehouse deals are items that have been ordered through amazon, but have been returned to the warehouse due to many reasons such as cosmetic defects to various other reasons. The item is sold by Amazon at a reduced price and can be a bargain for people.
Last edited by oicthat2013 on Jul 27th, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29043 posts
14590 upvotes
I've actually quite a bit of luck with Warehouse deals.
Picked up some literally brand new products that have at worst been reboxed.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5874 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
return danger, could happen any place that resells returns without inspection/refurb.
just return it and continue the cycle.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6240 posts
2515 upvotes
I am always wary of warehouse deals on hard drives specifically for this very reason. If there is any indication of 'cosmetic damage', avoid avoid avoid. People are scum.

But, who swaps a 12TB with an 8TB? If you're going to scam why not find a cheap 1TB drive or something?

edit: just to add as well, should this not be a very easy thing for Amazon to crack down on? Clearly they know who returned the drive, send the cops to their house or something
Sep 29, 2014
738 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
"underpaid workers don't have the time to properly inspect returns before they are re-sold" a better headline

The ddr memory being pawned off as an NVME drive is funnier

Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Clickbait.
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
i've heard of many things like this. some people saying they bought a 2080ti and it just had the the stickers swapped out but it was a lower end model. or cpus were someone delided it and swapped in some junker chip. my guess is amazon dont even plug in the stuff and test or or if they do its very minimal testing done by someone who knows nothing about computers.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1789 posts
1800 upvotes
Canada
D50M83 wrote: "underpaid workers don't have the time to properly inspect returns before they are re-sold" a better headline

The ddr memory being pawned off as an NVME drive is funnier

Looks like a great deal!
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
2014 posts
347 upvotes
COU
Some of the warehouse deals astound me in their crappyness. I was looking at a watch the other day. Used, minor scratch. I don't know what the regular price was, as there were no new ones in stock at amazon, but I could get a new one from the Bay for $14 more. What a sale! Well worth the risk :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17980 posts
12655 upvotes
Markham
Title reads like Amazon has some factory with workers removing one hard drive and switching it for another. This stuff happens with every retailer who accepts returns...unfortunately there are crooked ppl who do this stuff too often.

I recall one time looking for a coffee maker and when I opened the box, it was clearly used and returned. Lesson learned...consider at least cracking the box open in the parking lot.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29043 posts
14590 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: i've heard of many things like this. some people saying they bought a 2080ti and it just had the the stickers swapped out but it was a lower end model. or cpus were someone delided it and swapped in some junker chip. my guess is amazon dont even plug in the stuff and test or or if they do its very minimal testing done by someone who knows nothing about computers.
I have to wonder about computer equipment actually. To test computer equipment means that they'd basically have to have a full computer to do it.
Testing would take 10-15 minutes to install properly and test to make sure it works.
I suspect that it may just be easier (read: cost effective) to verify something is there rather than doing a full test to make sure it's working.

This obviously means that someone doing something as sneaky as deliding a CPU is 100% going to go unnoticed and even the memory/NVMe drive swap may as well.

But if it becomes a trend, they may just start testing again.

I have purchased small appliances that have had an inspected tag along with a checklist of things.
But something like this is easier to test because the only thing you have to do is plug it in.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5874 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
I bought a couple of oil filters at Canadian Tire (each in a box). when I went to use one, it was dirty (used), they were all used.
I returned them.

But as I was at the return line, I was thinking - how do they know I didn't get shafted vs being a dirtbag and returning my used filters.
I guess that's why BestBuy type places refused to refund any open boxes - only the manufacturer really knows.
Costco probably can get around this because they know who each customer is and can borf their membership.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73