Acer Swift X (5800h+3050ti+16gb ram+512gb) $899+157.42 Usd tax/shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2021 11:11 pm
[OP]
Apr 23, 2015
281 posts
333 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC

[Amazon.com] [Black Friday] Acer Swift X (5800h+3050ti+16gb ram+512gb) $899+157.42 Usd tax/shipping

Decent deal on this unique 14 inch ultra portable that has a color accurate screen and decent specs. Model isn't sold in Canada, so hopefully there wouldn't be issues with warranty. Comes to around $1350 cad all in. Can add more storage but ram is soldered. I believe the wifi card can also be upgraded.

Acer Swift X SFX14-41G-R1S6 Creator Laptop | 14" Full HD 100% sRGB | AMD Ryzen 7 5800U | NVIDIA RTX 3050Ti Laptop GPU | 16GB LPDDR4X | 512GB SSD | Wi-Fi 6 | Backlit KB | Amazon Alexa | Windows 10 Home
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best gaming laptops!
16 replies
Nov 8, 2017
137 posts
87 upvotes
For $1350 CAD, you can buy a much better quality gaming laptop (such as Legion with a 3050ti), or a 3060 Dell. I would have to say pass.
[OP]
Apr 23, 2015
281 posts
333 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
$1350 cad all in including taxes? Where? Also, this is a light laptop with all day battery life that can also game. This is a competitor to the MacBook air, with better performance specs, and cheaper.
Oct 30, 2006
155 posts
54 upvotes
Too bad Acer only released this in US - I've been watching this laptop for months now thinking about it.

I'm just too darned picky - if I knew I could return it if there were issues (especially to do with fan noise and performance while on battery) I'd grab it.

I've got a ASUS UX534 with GTX1650 MaxQ + i7-8665 and this one seems to be closest to a replacement in terms of specs. (ie. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenB ... 111.0.html)

Instead I've got a https://www.costco.ca/acer-predator-tri ... 25554.html ($1699+tax) coming - but darn this is so tempting for $600 CAD less...
Last edited by pjpeter on Nov 29th, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2915 posts
1236 upvotes
You need to stick US ONLY in the title!
Jan 23, 2013
400 posts
1442 upvotes
ph00p wrote: You need to stick US ONLY in the title!
It's not US only..
Jan 23, 2013
400 posts
1442 upvotes
This is a great deal for a great device. Most people here probably won't appreciate it and will quote prices for devices that aren't even close to being comparable (ie 14 inch vs 15/17 inch). For what is equivalent to $1175+tax CAD, you are getting a slim 14-inch ultrabook with a top tier CPU and respectable dedicated GPU.
Nov 8, 2017
137 posts
87 upvotes
flowerdealer wrote: $1350 cad all in including taxes? Where? Also, this is a light laptop with all day battery life that can also game. This is a competitor to the MacBook air, with better performance specs, and cheaper.
There were 2 Legion 5's posted this weekend that were under 1200$ all in, with 3050tis. I bet they were superior builds to this.

Dell has a Ryzen 3060 G15 still on sale for $1200 all in.

The only thing this has on those is portability. Which, hey, if that's your most important priority, fine, this deal makes sense. Otherwise, probably not.
Jan 23, 2013
400 posts
1442 upvotes
AkiraK wrote: There were 2 Legion 5's posted this weekend that were under 1200$ all in, with 3050tis. I bet they were superior builds to this.

Dell has a Ryzen 3060 G15 still on sale for $1200 all in.

The only thing this has on those is portability. Which, hey, if that's your most important priority, fine, this deal makes sense. Otherwise, probably not.
None of those laptops are in the same class as the Acer Swift X. You're comparing apples and oranges. Look up Razer Blade 14, Asus Zephyrus G14 etc for similar products and how much they sell for.
Nov 8, 2017
137 posts
87 upvotes
Geoff2 wrote: None of those laptops are in the same class as the Acer Swift X. You're comparing apples and oranges. Look up Razer Blade 14, Asus Zephyrus G14 etc for similar products and how much they sell for.
From a portability perspective, sure, I will concede that. That's just not super high on my list. I weigh all specs, and am willing to compromise on singular specs, if it means a better overall deal.
[OP]
Apr 23, 2015
281 posts
333 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
AkiraK wrote: From a portability perspective, sure, I will concede that. That's just not super high on my list. I weigh all specs, and am willing to compromise on singular specs, if it means a better overall deal.
Your argument is like me saying that it's much better to buy a desktop PC, it's a completely different category. Like I said, this is an good alternative to a macbook air that can also game, not for a gaming laptop. And the Dell g15 doesn't have an color accurate screen, so you can't use it for creative work unless you buy a second monitor. This screen has 100% sRGB color accuracy. This is perfect for any student, in particular.
Last edited by flowerdealer on Nov 29th, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 23, 2015
281 posts
333 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
pjpeter wrote: Too bad it's US only - I've been watching this laptop for months now thinking about it.

I'm just too darned picky - if I knew I could return it if there were issues (especially to do with fan noise and performance while on battery) I'd grab it.

I've got a ASUS UX534 with GTX1650 MaxQ + i7-8665 and this one seems to be closest to a replacement in terms of specs. (ie. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenB ... 111.0.html)

Instead I've got a https://www.costco.ca/acer-predator-tri ... 25554.html ($1699+tax) coming - but darn this is so tempting for $600 CAD less...
It's not US only, it ships to Canada, with free returns back too. The question is the warranty, but I'm almost sure that Acer would honor it. I've confirmed that you can return without problems with Amazon support.
Oct 30, 2006
155 posts
54 upvotes
flowerdealer wrote: It's not US only, it ships to Canada, with free returns back too. The question is the warranty, but I'm almost sure that Acer would honor it. I've confirmed that you can return without problems with Amazon support.
Thanks very much for that. I meant it was too bad the Acer Swift X was only released in US, not that you can't order it and have it delivered cross border from Amazon. (I've waited months watching to see if somewhere in Canada will carry it but no luck so far...)

Are you sure they'll refund the full $1056.97 US that is charged? Even the shipping duties and tarrif? And not charge for return shipping?

If so this sounds quite possible...

Thanks,
Peter
Images
  • Screenshot_20211129-131517_Firefox.jpg
[OP]
Apr 23, 2015
281 posts
333 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Not sure about the duties, but go on the site and ask.
Oct 30, 2006
155 posts
54 upvotes
Thanks - I did some checking:

"If you return a defective, damaged or incorrect item, you’ll be refunded the full postage cost, as well as your Import Fees Deposit, once your return is processed."
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201819200

Policy also mentions they if return shipping costs more than $20 you need to follow up with them to get the rest back.

Threads concerning this:
In this thread people talkabout getting about 33%-70% back depending on the situation.
"Don't count on getting it back. I've only got it back once. Consider it part of the purchase price... If you get it back, bonus, if not, then no loss. There is no guarantee that it will be refunded."
- amazon-com-import-fee-refund-1357171/

"Amazon refunds the Import Fees Deposit if the return is because of something wrong on their part. Otherwise, you have to ask for a refund from the CBSA yourself."
- amazon-com-import-fees-deposit-2140090/

So it looks like the $899 USD I could get back, but if I'm returning because I consider the laptop to be too loud, have performance issues while gaming on battery (yes I can do that quite well with my existing machine) or other things which I consider defects but which they don't agree are, then I could be out some or all of the $183 CAD of import fees - I've dealt with the CBSA previously but it was quite time consuming.

I'm on the fence, but leaning away from it because of this. Which is exactly why I kept watching and hoping it would eventually turn up on a Canadian reseller site...

Thanks though!

P.S. If you're curious how many laptops I went through in my last search for a new personal laptop, here's the spreadsheet I published about it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing - ya I look into this far too much..
Oct 30, 2006
155 posts
54 upvotes
By the way, I just noticed that in the past few weeks that both London Drugs and Costco have started selling Swift X models here in Canada. Only RTX3050 in the Costco case, and at $1449+tax the deal in this thread was much better, but will keep an eye out for sales....

https://www.costco.ca/acer-swift-x-sfx1 ... 23181.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)