Amazon.com

Amazon.ca Rewards Mastercard - 5% on $3,000

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2021 5:24 pm
Oct 18, 2015
323 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
jflex wrote: Completely untrue. You get 2% on Amazon purchases with the completely free Brim version, along with the no FTF.
I only briefly browsed their website, and as far as I could tell, the "2pt/$" return was for the AF card. The no-fee card seems to be 1pt/$, but maybe Amazon has its own special category. Could be. I can't be bothered to look into it any more than I already have, so I'll take your word for it. Being that as it may, it'd still be a pretty terrible deal.

Taking each of your claims individually, there are tons of ways to get at least 2% at Amazon, at least 1% everywhere else, and at least 0% net for forex.

If you like the card and find that it works for you, great. But there's nothing to be evangelistic about.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
Good for me that I buy stuff from Amazon dailySmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesFace Savouring Delicious Food
Sep 8, 2011
166 posts
101 upvotes
Quebec
links for amazon mastercard application dont work?
Dec 27, 2007
522 posts
269 upvotes
engineered wrote: I like the idea of the Rogers card, but from what I hard it's a pain to get the cash back if you aren't a Rogers customer.
Rogers WE cardholder here. It USED TO be hard to redeem for cash back ( once annually by calling).
Since the latest change (Feb 2019), all you need to do is activate the cashback option via your online account to be triggered for the next transaction (any merchant, not just Rogers) over $20 charged to your account. Easy peasy.
You are currently scheduled to receive an annual statement credit in January 2019, for the cash back rewards you have earned this year. We are writing to let you know about changes we are making to our rewards program starting soon, that will give you more flexibility in how you redeem your cash back rewards.1

Starting February 2019, if you make a purchase using your Rogers BankTM Mastercard® anywhere Mastercard is accepted, you can use your cash back rewards to pay yourself back for your purchase.

Your rewards. Your way. On your terms.

The options are endless! Mastercard is accepted at over 44 million locations worldwide, so it's your choice how you wish to use your rewards, including:

Gas, groceries, restaurants and other everyday purchases
Birthday gifts, new outfits and other special occasion purchases
Flights, electronics and other big-ticket purchases – the choice is yours!

The redemption process stays the same. As long as you have a minimum of $20 in cash back rewards, you can start redeeming towards any eligible purchase – whenever and wherever you want. No need to wait once a year to redeem your cash back rewards.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1880 posts
4138 upvotes
SamuelK wrote: LOL.

2% with Brim comes with a $199 AF.

You'd have to spend $79,600 a year in Canada to come out ahead over the Rogers WE -- not counting any forex spend (2.5% net CB with the Rogers, vs 0% with the Brim)!

TBH, there are eleventy-one ways to get more value from an 80k p.a. spend than using Brim, or even Rogers WE.

But getting rid of the $199 AF card is probably as good a start as any.
Why do people say such arrogant things without doing any fact checking...
Oct 18, 2015
323 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
cursayer wrote: Why do people say such arrogant things without doing any fact checking...
SamuelK wrote: I only briefly browsed their website, and as far as I could tell, the "2pt/$" return was for the AF card. The no-fee card seems to be 1pt/$, but maybe Amazon has its own special category. Could be. I can't be bothered to look into it any more than I already have, so I'll take your word for it. Being that as it may, it'd still be a pretty terrible deal.

Taking each of your claims individually, there are tons of ways to get at least 2% at Amazon, at least 1% everywhere else, and at least 0% net for forex.

If you like the card and find that it works for you, great. But there's nothing to be evangelistic about.
I really have zero interest in discussing Brim. TBH, I find it difficult to imagine someone could actually get worked up enough to form a strong opinion about it -- especially a strong favorable opinion ... but whatevs.

That said, more power to you if you enjoy using the card. Do what makes you feel good :-)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18691 posts
21362 upvotes
GTA
kkostadinof wrote: Rogers WE cardholder here. It USED TO be hard to redeem for cash back ( once annually by calling).
Since the latest change (Feb 2019), all you need to do is activate the cashback option via your online account to be triggered for the next transaction (any merchant, not just Rogers) over $20 charged to your account. Easy peasy.
Ooh, that's nice. I'll have apply when my Scotia card is up for renewal. Scotia made their card crap with increased fee, changed recurring bills from 4% to 1%.
Is there a free card with good cashback on groceries?
Currently I use Scotia WE for 4% groceries, 1% other
Triangle for ~5% on premium gas, free roadside service, (could be used for 3% groceries)
Tangerine for 2% on reno, home improvement and recurring bills.
Brim for free forex and 2% on Amazon.ca, free Boingo.

If I get rid of Scotia, I'll use Triangle for 3% groceries and Rogers for 1.75% on all else. It could also replace Brim for forex.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18691 posts
21362 upvotes
GTA
SamuelK wrote: I only briefly browsed their website, and as far as I could tell, the "2pt/$" return was for the AF card. The no-fee card seems to be 1pt/$, but maybe Amazon has its own special category. Could be. I can't be bothered to look into it any more than I already have, so I'll take your word for it. Being that as it may, it'd still be a pretty terrible deal.

Just curious, what are the other cards that give 2% amazon.ca, 1% elsewhere, and 0% net forex? Rogers WE is close.
Oct 18, 2015
323 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
engineered wrote: Just curious, what are the other cards that give 2% amazon.ca, 1% elsewhere, and 0% net forex? Rogers WE is close.
Rogers WE actually gives you 1.5% net on forex. And nearly all cards give at least 1% everywhere. The simplest trick is that tons of free cards give 2% in certain categories. Then you simply buy gift cards wherever you get at least 2%.

Say you have the Scotia VI with 4% back on groceries, buy your Amazon and GAP and Shell and Timmies and other gift cards at Sobeys or wherever, and presto, you've got 4% back instead of 2% or 1%.

If you have the Scotia Amex, you get 5% on groceries -- same with the Cobalt. That means 5% on Amazon, and nearly anything else you want to buy, as well. Forever.

I can understand that some people probably don't enjoy having a bunch of gift cards lying around -- but for Amazon, specifically (and others, like, say, Starbucks), you don't have to worry about losing your gift cards as they can be loaded directly to your account as soon as you've bought them.

You can take the game further: Several cashback cards currently have 10% CB bonuses for up to 2 or 3k spend. I'm currently working through a TD CB VI card with 10% back on up to 2k of anything.

And further: Several of my Amex cards currently have an offer where I get $15 statement credits for buying up to 3x $100 of Ivanhoe or Oxford mall gift cards. That's 15% CB (in addition to the Amex points) on anything sold in those malls.

The other day, I redeemed an RBC offer for "get $10 for spending $50 at Staples" -- combined with a Drop offer for "get 10k points for spending $50 at Staples" and a Paymi offer for "get $10 for spending $50 at Staples" = a total of $30 back for spending $50.

What did I buy at Staples? A $50 Amazon gift card, of course. Assuming all those come through (which may or may not happen, of course, LOL), I'll be getting 60% cashback on whatever my next purchase on amazon.ca is ;-)

And further: If you focus on the welcome bonuses rather than on the regular returns, you can unlock terrific value. For example, why would I keep using my TD CB VI card much past the initial 10% on 2k spend? Why not get a CIBC Dividend Platinum visa instead for the same 10% on another 2k spend? Then a NB card for a $40 bonus every month you charge at least $500 on the card, for a whole year (8% cashback, combined with the WE card's 2% = 10% on up to $6k)

And so on ...
Sep 16, 2016
311 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if this time MBNA will hold the credit card service for a long time.
If we can dream it, we can make it!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1081 posts
411 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Continuing to use my BMO WE Cashback @ 1.5% or for those with Rogers WE @ 1.75% you got them beat by .25% still lol, if Amazon was 2% that would be more competitive
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18602 posts
5434 upvotes
Scarberia
Hot if 5% cb on all cc purchases
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13274 posts
169841 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

The problem with buying gift cards from another store to use to your other store to maximize cash back, you lose out like some credit card benefits, like extended warranties, etc. So you have to do it wisely...

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18691 posts
21362 upvotes
GTA
SamuelK wrote: Rogers WE actually gives you 1.5% net on forex. And nearly all cards give at least 1% everywhere. The simplest trick is that tons of free cards give 2% in certain categories. Then you simply buy gift cards wherever you get at least 2%.

Say you have the Scotia VI with 4% back on groceries, buy your Amazon and GAP and Shell and Timmies and other gift cards at Sobeys or wherever, and presto, you've got 4% back instead of 2% or 1%.

If you have the Scotia Amex, you get 5% on groceries -- same with the Cobalt. That means 5% on Amazon, and nearly anything else you want to buy, as well. Forever.

I can understand that some people probably don't enjoy having a bunch of gift cards lying around -- but for Amazon, specifically (and others, like, say, Starbucks), you don't have to worry about losing your gift cards as they can be loaded directly to your account as soon as you've bought them.

You can take the game further: Several cashback cards currently have 10% CB bonuses for up to 2 or 3k spend. I'm currently working through a TD CB VI card with 10% back on up to 2k of anything.

And further: Several of my Amex cards currently have an offer where I get $15 statement credits for buying up to 3x $100 of Ivanhoe or Oxford mall gift cards. That's 15% CB (in addition to the Amex points) on anything sold in those malls.

The other day, I redeemed an RBC offer for "get $10 for spending $50 at Staples" -- combined with a Drop offer for "get 10k points for spending $50 at Staples" and a Paymi offer for "get $10 for spending $50 at Staples" = a total of $30 back for spending $50.

What did I buy at Staples? A $50 Amazon gift card, of course. Assuming all those come through (which may or may not happen, of course, LOL), I'll be getting 60% cashback on whatever my next purchase on amazon.ca is ;-)

And further: If you focus on the welcome bonuses rather than on the regular returns, you can unlock terrific value. For example, why would I keep using my TD CB VI card much past the initial 10% on 2k spend? Why not get a CIBC Dividend Platinum visa instead for the same 10% on another 2k spend? Then a NB card for a $40 bonus every month you charge at least $500 on the card, for a whole year (8% cashback, combined with the WE card's 2% = 10% on up to $6k)

And so on ...
Thanks. There's definitely a lot to be had with using welcome bonuses, but the hassle of changing cards every 2-3 months isn't appealing to me. Gift cards can work, but all the savings are gone if they go missing. Amazon is nice in that you can load them online immediately, I really should do that more often.
My goal is to have minimal cards to worry about and/or carry around.
Oct 18, 2015
323 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

The problem with buying gift cards from another store to use to your other store to maximize cash back, you lose out like some credit card benefits, like extended warranties, etc. So you have to do it wisely...

Ju Leon...
That's fair enough ... but there are lots of things you can buy that don't require extended warranty or trip cancellation insurance or whatever.

For instance, RCSS is having a flash sale for H&M gift cards today (20k PCO points for $100 spend), and you regularly get ~10% back in Air Miles at Sobeys for Netflix gift cards (just load them to your account and forget about them). And so on...

You also have to be realistic about how much value extended warranty actually adds. I've personally never used it even once (though of course I know of people who have).

But a little while ago, Shell was offering 25 Air Miles for purchases of $25 Amazon gift cards (just over 10% cash back). If you'd bought them using a 10% card in its welcome bonus phase, you'd be looking at >20% cash back for the new phone or TV or whatever you would be buying on Amazon.ca. Then figure out whether extended warranty is worth 20% of the purchase price -- that's something only you can do, as different people would value it differently based on their risk profile and personal experiences.

I'm just saying, 20% of the purchase price is an awful lot to value a TV's extended warranty at. You'd have to expect to (successfully) make a claim every 5th TV you buy ... and TBH, if that happened, the TV manufacturer would go bankrupt ;-)
Oct 18, 2015
323 posts
255 upvotes
Calgary
engineered wrote: Thanks. There's definitely a lot to be had with using welcome bonuses, but the hassle of changing cards every 2-3 months isn't appealing to me. Gift cards can work, but all the savings are gone if they go missing. Amazon is nice in that you can load them online immediately, I really should do that more often.
My goal is to have minimal cards to worry about and/or carry around.
Again, fair enough :-)

But in that case, rather than trying to figure out the best tiny incremental benefit among this or that free card (and ending up with several, because "Brim is good for amazon, Tang is good for ABC, Rogers is good for XYZ ...), I would whittle it down to 1 premium card with an AF but the best possible return on, say, groceries. And then use that card to manufacture the cashback I want at other places where it's easy to do and I don't get saddled with gift cards I might lose (e.g., Amazon, Netflix, Starbucks).

I'd personally get an Amex, and maybe one other card for the places that don't accept it. And then even if I prefer not to chase bonuses, I'd still try to do that once or twice a year, because why not?

You can also time that intelligently. People have a hard time keeping track of how much they need to spend to receive the bonus, but if you're planning a family vacation, for example, consider getting a new card so that you can reach the bonus in one transaction (e.g., plane tickets to Hawaii x 4) and then put it away in a drawer and forget about it for 6 months. There's not much downside to that, and it doesn't really complicate your life much.

In the real world, forex shouldn't be an issue for 90% of people. Nobody likes paying it, and we all want to feel we're sticking it to the man by avoiding it ... but if you spend $2k a year abroad on your card, you're only losing $50 to forex. If you really want to minimize the cards in your life, is that $50 worth it?

Also bear in mind that a card like the cobalt doesn't have free forex, but restaurants abroad code the same as restaurants in Canada, so you're getting 5x and then paying 2.5% forex, so you're still ahead vs., say, Brim (at least for restaurants).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8905 posts
9925 upvotes
The Prairies
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

Ju Leon...
This is a moot point, because rarely do you ever claim such a benefit anyway.
Myself, I have many credit cards with the extended warranty benefit, and for many years have purchased things that would qualify.
I’ve never in my life been in a position where I needed to use it.
Price Protection is another one.
Many times PP can be claimed through the vendor you bought your item from.
Aug 17, 2012
411 posts
540 upvotes
Victoria
I have this card and I have already received $60 in Amazon gift cards with the welcome promo. If you order things off of Amazon regularly and eat lunch at Whole Foods then you will likely find the same. Everyone is saying it's 1.5% cash back after the intro offer but it's 2.5% if you have Amazon Prime. If you don't have Amazon Prime then this card is not really for you... For the ~$40 I pay yearly for Student Prime, I get more than enough benefits.

If you don't want to pay full price for Amazon Prime, enroll in the cheapest course at a registered online institution, verify your student email account with Amazon, and get Student Prime for several years. You will be able to claim your enrollment for tax credits when you file your taxes. Plus you can use your enrollment to get several other student deals.
Aug 31, 2014
134 posts
359 upvotes
divx wrote: post a wtb thread and you will get responses for 10% off, or just pm @raccoon
What does 'wtb' stand for here?
Aug 31, 2014
134 posts
359 upvotes
kkostadinof wrote: Rogers WE cardholder here. It USED TO be hard to redeem for cash back ( once annually by calling).
Not sure I understand. Do you have to 'activate' your cashback and then make a $20 purchase to get your accumulated cash back credited to your account?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)