Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.com] Amazon USA $49.99 USD SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB Internal SSD + shipping + import fee

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2019 12:53 pm
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
866 posts
965 upvotes

[Amazon.com] Amazon USA $49.99 USD SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB Internal SSD + shipping + import fee

If you can pickup in USA, great deal. Msrp inflated, but 50 bucks is a great price. 12.95usd for shipping and imports fees if u want delivered to Canada.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2795 upvotes
Washington, DC
$50 USD is $69 CAD with exchange and fees. Even if you picked this drive up at the border you would be looking at $10 to cross + $10 parcel fee at a pickup point.
Wear and tear on your car, add another $30. Then add your time.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2795 upvotes
Washington, DC
Hahaha I get it now. You're the guy that put "HOT!" at the beginning of your thread before and I criticized it :)
Small world.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Aug 27, 2009
816 posts
174 upvotes
Cold. I'm running this drive in my MacBook atm and it severely underperforms the other ADATA drive I have in my caddy. Bought it for like $180 around a year and half ago. Might get warranty replacement though as the performance is really quite bad, might just be my drive.

Price/hassle just isn't worth it. Much better options out there even on amazon.ca
Jan 4, 2013
541 posts
182 upvotes
lincoln wrote: $50 USD is $69 CAD with exchange and fees. Even if you picked this drive up at the border you would be looking at $10 to cross + $10 parcel fee at a pickup point.
Costs you to cross? And damn you use expensive parcel places. Plus you can get cheap gas across the border!
Mar 19, 2006
135 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're paying $10 to pick up the parcel, switch to 24/7 parcel and pay US$ 3. There are multiple other cheaper places as well.

Also, who are you paying $10 to cross the border? Of course if you meant the cost of the gas then you do have the benefit of cheap gas in the states. For most of us we come out ahead. If not you should at least be breaking even.

The time argument actually makes sense if you are a busy guy. Not everyone's time is worth the same and if you have to sacrifice family time or sacrifice work hours to go pick up then I do agree you should better spend your time elsewhere. Not disagreeing with your points per se but the numbers should be accurate.

For the rest of us the math does work in our favor, assuming the SSD was a good bargain to begin with.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
866 posts
965 upvotes
lincoln wrote: Hahaha I get it now. You're the guy that put "HOT!" at the beginning of your thread before and I criticized it :)
Small world.
Glad you get it, find something else to do besides just criticizing everyones posts.
Jun 4, 2004
772 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
That link keeps taking me to the Canadian site.
Nov 13, 2009
624 posts
131 upvotes
Somewhere N of 49th …
Another thing might want to be careful about...now that WD owns SanDisk, be wary of the warranty if buying a drive in US and importing into Canada..and SSD Plus are a mish mash drive.
Besides...u can sit home, not worry about exchange, have full warranty and its only about $3 CDN more after taking into account exchange, shipping and any bank fees, for an actual WD Blue 500Gb https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-NAND-500GB-S ... ics&sr=1-3

Or Kingston A400 480Gb , which is an apples to apples comparison with that SSD Plus, cheaper https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital- ... ics&sr=1-5
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1160 posts
880 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote: $50 USD is $69 CAD with exchange and fees. Even if you picked this drive up at the border you would be looking at $10 to cross + $10 parcel fee at a pickup point.
It doesn't cost anything to cross the border, Whoever your parcel service is is definitely ripping you off if you're paying $10, and $30 wear and tear? Get a better car, man :P
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1817 posts
854 upvotes
Home
OutsideYourWorld wrote: It doesn't cost anything to cross the border, Whoever your parcel service is is definitely ripping you off if you're paying $10, and $30 wear and tear? Get a better car, man :P
Cost of operating a vehicle can easily run you $0.5 / km. $30 would only get you 60km return. It almost never makes sense to drive over to pick anything up unless you're saving $$$.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1160 posts
880 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
I RFD wrote: Cost of operating a vehicle can easily run you $0.5 / km. $30 would only get you 60km return. It almost never makes sense to drive over to pick anything up unless you're saving $$$.
I feel like wear and tear is different than fuel price. And yea, I would assume most people only do border runs for bulk packages or something really pricey.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2795 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote: It doesn't cost anything to cross the border, Whoever your parcel service is is definitely ripping you off if you're paying $10, and $30 wear and tear? Get a better car, man :P
It costs you $5 to cross the bridges each way. $10 total.

Parcel service $5 USD, exchange rate.
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2795 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote: I feel like wear and tear is different than fuel price. And yea, I would assume most people only do border runs for bulk packages or something really pricey.
Take your fuel cost and double it. Wear and tear cost is Fuel + 100%
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1160 posts
880 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote: It costs you $5 to cross the bridges each way. $10 total.

Parcel service $5 USD, exchange rate.
Ah no bridge crossing for me. And it's 2 or 2.50 a parcel here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2795 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote: Ah no bridge crossing for me. And it's 2 or 2.50 a parcel here.
Congratulations... So where is the deal for everyone else?
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1160 posts
880 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote: Congratulations... So where is the deal for everyone else?
Everyone who lives out this way ;) no need to get defensive.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5518 posts
8838 upvotes
Montreal
MakeItCheap wrote: Glad you get it, find something else to do besides just criticizing everyones posts.
OP, you really are in no position to criticize a member like "lincoln" who is a valuable contributor to this forum and has 3 times the number of Upvotes that you have. Especially after posting such a cold deal like many others have told you. Strike one.

Also, there's a mistake in your link, it STILL points to amazon.ca instead of the US site 3 days after posting it! And the price is not $50 US anymore amazon.com it's now $60 US which makes this "deal" ice-cold. Strike two.

That means you don't monitor your "deals" after posting them. Strike three.

If you read a few professional reviews, you will realize that the SanDisk SSD Plus is a poor performer and it's a lot of hassle for very little savings to get it from the US.

Buy a REAL SSD instead like the Crucial BX500 480 GB from Mikes's Computer Shop for $80 or from amazon.ca for $83 with Free Shipping
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28721 posts
9170 upvotes
Expliciate wrote: This drive/deal costs less and performs better. Though it really isn't much of a deal to begin with.
Not sure the A400 performs better. The A400 uses Phison S11 and planar TLC while the SSD Plus... Ehhh well here's the problem with a lot of low-end drives. They use variable hardware meaning who the heck knows what you're going to get in there. Early SSD Plus drives used MLC NAND but later ones more likely have some sort of TLC.

Around two years ago SSD Plus was using either DRAM-less SM2246XT or SM2256S OR Marvell 88SS1074 (with DRAM); and either some sort of MLC or TLC. TH reported on this around two years ago so who knows what they are using now?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dr ... 833-8.html
At the time, the 480GB SSD Plus was using the 88SS1074 and MLC NAND. This drive would likely be a good bit superior to the A400 and its DRAM-less S11 and craptastic NAND, however we really don't know what buyers of the drive today (some two years later) are going to find in their "SSD Plus 480GB", so it's pretty tough to say.

I really don't know why people are so obsessed with getting the cheapest, crappiest, SSDs they can find though??? Don't give a damn what's in them or what quality, speed, or longevity they're getting; don't give a damn about whether it's super cheap to manufacture, etc. Just the "moar terrobytez! Buy buy buy!" attitude. SMH.

Anyway for those that get this, since it's really unknown what you're getting, I say good luck as there is seemingly some remote possibility you'll get a drive with MLC. But given that report was 2yrs ago, I'd say the chance is very slim and it's likely the now bog-standard DRAMless controller and TLC (hopefully not planar like the A400).

It's nothing special. You can get the ADATA "SU655" (again variable hardware here but does promise 3D TLC) 480GB for $74 CAD taxes in rn on Amazon.ca. But it's a better idea to just buy the SU800 512GB at $12 more which is much better with defined hardware--SM2258 with 32L Micron 3D TLC (which itself is "old" compared to newer 64L but still "good"). Of course I'm sure the peanut gallery will then pipe up and go on about how this encroaches on the price of QLC m.2 NVMe drives out there :rolleyes: Heck it's getting close to the price of very good NVMe drives but the problem of course is if you don't have m.2/NVMe, SATA 2.5" is still a popular choice. My advice is to just stay away from the super cheap stuff, but you guys are free to follow your "moar terrobytez!" crusade to wherever it leads you.