Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Chargepoint L2 32 Amp EV Charger - 20% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2018 12:42 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
I RFD wrote: Were you trying to double dip for the charger rebate?
I have never applied for charging station rebate anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
ma678 wrote: I bought my car and received rebate from BC back to 2015. I called Transportation Ontario after shipping my car here in 2016. Maybe policy was changed recently.
Your rebate was from BC. To be eligible for Ontario charger rebate you have to have a car rebate from Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11431 upvotes
Ottawa
ma678 wrote: I bought my car and received rebate from BC back to 2015. I called Transportation Ontario after shipping my car here in 2016. Maybe policy was changed recently.
To be eligible for EV rebate car has to be never registered in any other jurisdiction (and obviously never get any other rebate) You can buy it new from any other province (or I assume even US), get temporal plates or ship it to ON, register and apply for rebate.
Since March 2018 you can apply for charger rebate even if you didn't get ON EV rebate but have a used EV registered in ON
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
seafish wrote: To be eligible for EV rebate car has to be never registered in any other jurisdiction (and obviously never get any other rebate) You can buy it new from any other province (or I assume even US), get temporal plates or ship it to ON, register and apply for rebate.
Since March 2018 you can apply for charger rebate even if you didn't get ON EV rebate but have a used EV registered in ON
It looks like I can never apply for the rebate then.
Last edited by ma678 on Apr 6th, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
if anyone here has an EV but doesn't need a charger and wishes to split the rebate let me know.

i already have purchased the charger.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11431 upvotes
Ottawa
ma678 wrote: It looks like I can never apply for the rebate then.
It seems like you can apply for charger/installation rebate. It doesn't say that your EV has to be registered after March 2018 to apply for rebate. It just have to be on the Green Plates Eligible Vehicle List. You can get 1 rebate per registered EV. But better call Ministry and check with them.
Here is a link to the guide
The applicant is required to own/lease an electric vehicle registered and plated in Ontario in the name of the EVCIP applicant, to be eligible for this Program. Applicants are eligible for one set of charging station incentives (purchase plus installation) per eligible vehicle. You must own an eligible new or used electric vehicle that is registered, plated, insured in the applicants name and on the
Green Plates Eligible Vehicle
. The vehicle registration must be in the same name as the EVCIP applicant. Only one EVCIP incentive per vehicle owned at a location. Combined business and individual applicants are not permitted.
The number of charging station applications per applicant is limited to the number of EVCIP eligible electric vehicles the applicant owns/leases. Each electric vehicle charging station will be associated with an eligible electric vehicle registered in the name of the EVCIP applicant. An applicant must own/lease multiple EVCIP eligible electric vehicles to be considered for more than one EVCIP incentive.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1757 posts
1270 upvotes
Burnaby
Has anyone noticed amazon.ca ships in 1-2 months? But then it has a prime sign? So is it prime or is it 1-2 months?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2419 posts
971 upvotes
thread hijacking,
I am trying to wire my own EVSE installation, but there is no neutral into the EVSE, only two hot lines, L1 and L2 plus ground
There is no need for neutral in 240v circuit anyway, but my question is can I only use 2 wire cable (two hot and one ground) to wire the job.
<signature removed>
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
I called Ministry of Transportation Ontario and the agent told me I am eligible to receive rebate for charging station and installation. Maybe it's better to get a formal confirmation by email from them before moving forward.
How much does it cost for installation typically? I prefer to run a cable and add a plug in my garage instead of hard wired.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
1030 posts
488 upvotes
Markham
This Chargepoint or a Juicebox Pro 40 for $50 more (via GB thread)?
  • Both support wifi / mobile app
  • Juicebox supports up to 40A, Chargepoint 32A
  • Chargepoint looks nicer
  • Chargepoint will take 1-2 months to deliver
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
napoleonbot wrote: thread hijacking,
I am trying to wire my own EVSE installation, but there is no neutral into the EVSE, only two hot lines, L1 and L2 plus ground
There is no need for neutral in 240v circuit anyway, but my question is can I only use 2 wire cable (two hot and one ground) to wire the job.
That's correct. If hardwiring, you can use a 2 wire (plus ground) for the install. Though if you are thinking of ever converting it to an outlet (like say NEMA 14-50) in the future, the neutral would be needed.

Here's a pic from when I hardwired my Chargepoint a few years ago:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11431 upvotes
Ottawa
spiritsBB wrote: Has anyone noticed amazon.ca ships in 1-2 months? But then it has a prime sign? So is it prime or is it 1-2 months?
2-day Prime applied after it was shipped. I don't think it will take 1-2 months to ship since it should come directly from manufacturer.
napoleonbot wrote: thread hijacking,
I would think that if you're installing receptacle (NEMA 14-50R?) then you'd need to run a 3 wire(+ground) cable to be by the code. But if hardwire then 2 wire is enough. But I'm no electrician. I do have a Canadian Electrical Code 2015 book in PDF, so if you want to read it let me know I will send it to you.
When I was doing my install I did with a 8-3 wire to 14-50R receptacle. The neutral is just not used.
ma678 wrote: I called Ministry of Transportation Ontario and the agent told me I am eligible to receive rebate for charging station and installation. Maybe it's better to get a formal confirmation by email from them before moving forward.
How much does it cost for installation typically? I prefer to run a cable and add a plug in my garage instead of hard wired.
Thanks.
They just confirmed what's already in their guide, so I don't think you need anything more.
Installation ranges between 500 and 1000+ (more if garage detached) depending on your circumstances (i.e. finished garage/basement, how far from the panel etc...)
If DIY typical cost of parts is about 100-150, again depends how far from the panel. $80 for ESA certificate (not required to get EVSE purchase rebate, but still useful for insurance purposes and you can get 50% off for it)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2419 posts
971 upvotes
seafish/joey003

Thanks, yes,

my EVSE unit come in as a permanent unit - meaning no plug, and require only two hot one ground.
But I want to buy a plug wire - pig tail? - and wire into the EVSE unit, which will not use neutral.
And will do nema 14 50 which go all the way to panel, that will have all 4 line to 4 spot at panel, so that outlet can be used for other devises.
<signature removed>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11431 upvotes
Ottawa
napoleonbot wrote: seafish/joey003

Thanks, yes,

my EVSE unit come in as a permanent unit - meaning no plug, and require only two hot one ground.
But I want to buy a plug wire - pig tail? - and wire into the EVSE unit, which will not use neutral.
And will do nema 14 50 which go all the way to panel, that will have all 4 line to 4 spot at panel, so that outlet can be used for other devises.
Yes, that's what I did. Also had a hardwired unit, bought a range plug and made it plug-in with unused neutral.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Gm Bold? You mean the Volt?
The Volt has an engine in it, the Bolt does not (it's a pure EV). It's actually a pretty awesome electric, though since it's not an unreliable, unsupported-out-of-warranty, trendy Tesla, people don't even think about it (funny enough is exactly what DeMuro points out)
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
Love the drive train and battery + Price of Bolt - incentives. Looks not so much. Looking forward to future GM BEVs not designed / styled from Korea on this platform.

RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: The Volt has an engine in it, the Bolt does not (it's a pure EV). It's actually a pretty awesome electric, though since it's not an unreliable, unsupported-out-of-warranty, trendy Tesla, people don't even think about it (funny enough is exactly what DeMuro points out)
I know what the difference in the cars were, I drive electric and looked at them. I was correcting the OP.
Jan 24, 2018
127 posts
294 upvotes
milolai wrote: if anyone here has an EV but doesn't need a charger and wishes to split the rebate let me know.

i already have purchased the charger.
How would this work exactly. I have an EV in BC and never applied for a rebate. Is this something I could help you out with?
Jul 21, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga, ON
Is this unit portable? Can I take it with me when I move to a different house and just get the unit installed at the new house?