[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2909 posts
607 upvotes
Mississauga

Amazon.com Export Fee Refund

Anyone else get this?

I bought a Kindle not too long ago. I was looking at my Visa statement and noticed Amazon.com giving me money back. I just checked my email and lo and behold there's an email from Amazon stating that they've reduced their export fee.

[QUOTE]Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $47.28 for your Order XXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXX.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Kindle, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology [Includes USB Cable for Charging. For International Shipment]
Quantity: 1
ASIN: XXXXXXXXXX
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Export Charge Refund: $33.03

Item: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: XXXXXXXX
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Export Charge Refund: $14.25

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Visa Credit Card [ending with XXXX]: $47.28

Refunds typically complete within 10 business days and appear as a credit on your statement.

Have questions about our refund policy?
Visit our Help section for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/refunds

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com

Note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE Amazon!
Jesus saves, I spend
21 replies
Sep 30, 2001
29274 posts
8678 upvotes
Toronto
Lazy Susan wrote: Anyone else get this?

yes i've received automatic refunds a number of times. other retailers should take note.
Be kind and civil with one another
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
They always do refunds on export fee. I think they charge extra, just to make sure they cover it all, and then they just refund you the difference. That's really nice
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2909 posts
607 upvotes
Mississauga
MrDisco wrote: yes i've received automatic refunds a number of times. other retailers should take note.

Ain't that the truth!
Jesus saves, I spend
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4966 posts
3085 upvotes
Amazon.com is great, but I've always found .ca to be a hassle.
Nonetheless, thanks for sharing.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1130 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
I received partial refunds from Amazon.com for the export fees too, for the books I bought. :) Their prices (for the books I bought) are better than Amazon.ca's.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Lazy Susan wrote: Anyone else get this?

I bought a Kindle not too long ago. I was looking at my Visa statement and noticed Amazon.com giving me money back. I just checked my email and lo and behold there's an email from Amazon stating that they've reduced their export fee.
When you bought the Kindle does Amazon deliver it and charge your cc for the entire transaction? Is there anything like UPS broker fees that you have to pay? I have never bought anything from Amazon.com before and I wanted to buy a kindle. I read about their Global program and emailed them to find out how much to ship me one. I got back an email that included "You are the importer of record for your shipment and your international shipment may be subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country and carrier."

Do you make the full payment to Amazon when you order?
Oct 27, 2009
317 posts
64 upvotes
Cheap wrote: When you bought the Kindle does Amazon deliver it and charge your cc for the entire transaction? Is there anything like UPS broker fees that you have to pay? I have never bought anything from Amazon.com before and I wanted to buy a kindle. I read about their Global program and emailed them to find out how much to ship me one. I got back an email that included "You are the importer of record for your shipment and your international shipment may be subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country and carrier."

Do you make the full payment to Amazon when you order?

Yes. You make full payment to Amazon, and you don't pay anything to the courier.

You are paying all custom duties in advance! And sometimes they decide to refund some of it.. Which is really nice :) I've got my kindle duty fees refund too few months ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
nickaslt wrote: Yes. You make full payment to Amazon, and you don't pay anything to the courier.

You are paying all custom duties in advance! And sometimes they decide to refund some of it.. Which is really nice :) I've got my kindle duty fees refund too few months ago.

Thanks, I should have asked here first. After 2 emails I still couldn't understand their answer to the question.
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
I dont understand on why would they refund Duties/Taxes or even a part of it. That decreases their profit on the product . Maybe to entice us Canadians more? I would understand a situation where they collect before shipping, but in turn that would noticeably increase the price of a product.

This won't run for long, I can assure you that. It doens't make any sense at all. That's giving away free money for no reason.

But that's cool of Amazon to be doing it, I have no problems with that.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4223 posts
274 upvotes
Tahsis
O1IN85 wrote: I dont understand on why would they refund Duties/Taxes or even a part of it. That decreases their profit on the product . Maybe to entice us Canadians more? I would understand a situation where they collect before shipping, but in turn that would noticeably increase the price of a product.

This won't run for long, I can assure you that. It doens't make any sense at all. That's giving away free money for no reason.

But that's cool of Amazon to be doing it, I have no problems with that.

They aren't giving back free money... They charge based on worst case amount of charges, plus a cushion, and then refund the difference from the actual charges. Which is just fair and good business.
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
[QUOTE]They charge based on worst case amount of charges, plus a cushion[/QUOTE]

got it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2909 posts
607 upvotes
Mississauga
Fllay wrote: I received partial refunds from Amazon.com for the export fees too, for the books I bought. :) Their prices (for the books I bought) are better than Amazon.ca's.

Nice :D . I think I'll order books from the .COM site next time.
Jesus saves, I spend
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6918 posts
1447 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I get this all the time, pretty much for every order I get from Amazon.com. What's funny is that with the refund the "import fees" that were charged is always lower than the HST. Not sure what formula they are using, but I am not complaining.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21395 posts
32577 upvotes
ONTARIO
i've gotten a refund on all my orders from amazon.com and it's always been 100% of the import fees. I've gotten back like $80.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2041 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
How long does it take to get the refund?

I recently bought something from Amazon.com, around mid July. I don't think I've received a refund, so I'm guessing that they did need 100% of the export fee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2909 posts
607 upvotes
Mississauga
rockthecasbah wrote: How long does it take to get the refund?

I recently bought something from Amazon.com, around mid July. I don't think I've received a refund, so I'm guessing that they did need 100% of the export fee.

I ordered the Kindle May 31st so you probably will get a refund. :D
Jesus saves, I spend
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21395 posts
32577 upvotes
ONTARIO
rockthecasbah wrote: How long does it take to get the refund?

The refund comes roughly 60 days after the item is shipped. It's in their terms somewhere.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4493 posts
715 upvotes
I'm trying to order a headphone (from amazon)

tems: $312.07
Shipping & Handling: $11.17
Total Before Tax: $323.24
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $57.74

Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.

I wonder if I should risk it, have you guys order $300 value from amazon.com and which courier delivers it here in canada?

thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2211 posts
424 upvotes
l ordered a Kindle 3 from amazon.com on March, but I have not received any export fee refund. So I think it is a hit or miss.