Huanuo Dual Monitor Mount Gas Spring

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 2:35 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 5, 2011
653 posts
391 upvotes
the2ndme wrote: They explicitly note not to do that. 1 cm LOL!

You're reckless. Your desk can explode and kill you.
You're kidding right? Why would it explode?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4266 posts
296 upvotes
Hamilton
ArchEnemy wrote: You're kidding right? Why would it explode?
it's a 1cm glass panel that you have placed the full weight of you setup at a single point and then clamped it and extended the weight with monitor arms (like hold your arm out with a heavy book in your hand). When tempered glass breaks it does "explode" into tiny pieces. Those tiny pieces are safer than big glass shards from non-tempered glass, but they're still glass and sharp. When, not if, this happens everything on your desk will come crashing down. He's not kidding.
Aug 17, 2012
636 posts
571 upvotes
COQUITLAM
synaptech wrote: it's a 1cm glass panel that you have placed the full weight of you setup at a single point and then clamped it and extended the weight with monitor arms (like hold your arm out with a heavy book in your hand). When tempered glass breaks it does "explode" into tiny pieces. Those tiny pieces are safer than big glass shards from non-tempered glass, but they're still glass and sharp. When, not if, this happens everything on your desk will come crashing down. He's not kidding.
Ya, remove those monitor mounts ASAP. Use wall mounts instead if you're against a wall.
Aug 5, 2011
653 posts
391 upvotes
synaptech wrote: it's a 1cm glass panel that you have placed the full weight of you setup at a single point and then clamped it and extended the weight with monitor arms (like hold your arm out with a heavy book in your hand). When tempered glass breaks it does "explode" into tiny pieces. Those tiny pieces are safer than big glass shards from non-tempered glass, but they're still glass and sharp. When, not if, this happens everything on your desk will come crashing down. He's not kidding.
I didn't include the "extender" arms as it protrudes too much, but OK you guys convinced me. Will be removing this after work this evening.

Thanks for the safety advice RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6645 posts
736 upvotes
Etobicoke
ArchEnemy wrote: You're kidding right? Why would it explode?
Just so you know, tempered glass is stronger than regular glass. But the tempering process also makes it more brittle (less flexible). Which means, once the bending limit is exceeded, the glass will shatter in a spectacular fashion. If there is any impact load on the glass (eg. if you bang the top of the monitor), you risk shattering the whole desktop. This is exasperated by the fact that the monitor stand is mounted via a clamp, which places high load on a small contact surface before you even bang the monitor.

You can try to place an 8" X 8" X 1/2" wood board between the desk surface and the clamp face (both top and bottom). This will distribute the load over a larger surface and reduce the risk of shattering. However, this doesn't look as good.
Aug 5, 2011
653 posts
391 upvotes
eelfliw wrote: Just so you know, tempered glass is stronger than regular glass. But the tempering process also makes it more brittle (less flexible). Which means, once the bending limit is exceeded, the glass will shatter in a spectacular fashion. If there is any impact load on the glass (eg. if you bang the top of the monitor), you risk shattering the whole desktop. This is exasperated by the fact that the monitor stand is mounted via a clamp, which places high load on a small contact surface before you even bang the monitor.

You can try to place an 8" X 8" X 1/2" wood board between the desk surface and the clamp face (both top and bottom). This will distribute the load over a larger surface and reduce the risk of shattering. However, this doesn't look as good.
If I bought this reinforcement plate, would you still advice that I avoid mounting it onto my tempered glass desk?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08CK24TCX/ref ... 6TDKV4R7PK
Dec 17, 2019
46 posts
15 upvotes
Does it make sense to use 1 mount for monitor and 1 mount for keyboard tray then you have a sit stand desk for cheap?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6645 posts
736 upvotes
Etobicoke
ArchEnemy wrote: If I bought this reinforcement plate, would you still advice that I avoid mounting it onto my tempered glass desk?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08CK24TCX/ref ... 6TDKV4R7PK
If both top and bottom plates are 0.1" thickness I would say it's good. Just remember, this is for normal use where someone may tap the top of the monitor. The steel plates will help distribute the load. But if someone grabs the mounting pole and tries to bend it, the table will still shatter. There are lots of examples of that in pro basketball where glass backboards shatter when someone slam dunks.
May 14, 2009
163 posts
22 upvotes
any one tried this mount on one 32" and another 32" or 27" ?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5125 posts
1900 upvotes
Kitchener
Code's not working. Deal dead? Work just gave me a new monitor with the with the worst stand ever.

Is this a good deal for single arm? $45.99 - $20 (Free shipping)
https://www.amazon.ca/Single-Monitor-Mo ... B07T4JD7CV
Is it better to have multiple single monitor arms or 2/3 in one?

There's also this dual arm for $59.99 - $20.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dual-Monitor-Stan ... B087LS8ZRV

Lastly, can I safely ignore the size limit if my monitor is within the weight limit? (I have a 32" monitor)
This space is intentionally left blank.
Nov 17, 2010
332 posts
357 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: Code's not working. Deal dead? Work just gave me a new monitor with the with the worst stand ever.

Lastly, can I safely ignore the size limit if my monitor is within the weight limit? (I have a 32" monitor)
I think that's the same system as the dual arm I bought. Works really good, I would recommend it. Great price with $20 off too
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5125 posts
1900 upvotes
Kitchener
tr0ck wrote: I think that's the same system as the dual arm I bought. Works really good, I would recommend it. Great price with $20 off too
A lot of the reviews say it has trouble holding up monitors below the weight limit despite tightening the arm up. But maybe I'll just roll the dice and see how it goes.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18873 posts
5488 upvotes
Scarberia
Thundercloud wrote: Code's not working. Deal dead? Work just gave me a new monitor with the with the worst stand ever.

nice 26$ mount! says specs says upto 14lbs tho, can u use a 17lbs monitor on it? ie the optiplex 7480?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4266 posts
296 upvotes
Hamilton
mikka2017 wrote: nice 26$ mount! says specs says upto 14lbs tho, can u use a 17lbs monitor on it? ie the optiplex 7480?
These things struggle at their limits. You’re wasting your time and money exceeding the stated limit.
Sep 28, 2012
213 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
I found arms from shoppingall are better choice. Little bit expensive through band name sounds awkful. Available at amazon.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)