Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

(illegal in Canada) Graco Affix Youth Booster Seat with Latch System, Grapeade $35.35 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2017 5:15 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

[Amazon.com] (illegal in Canada) Graco Affix Youth Booster Seat with Latch System, Grapeade $35.35 USD

Going to finally replace a front facing car seat whose base is so hard to secure (lots of wiggle room). It's in a two-door vehicle, lol.

The base is also removable so can be used when your child is older. This seat is even cheaper than what you can find in Canada for just the base alone:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/gr ... 60372.aspx?

Graco Affix Youth Booster Seat with Latch System, Grapeade
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR0OMF6/

About the product
  • AFFIX Highback Booster Car Seat with Latch System, in Atomic, offers a secure connection keeps booster seat properly in place
  • Keeps booster steady for easy self-buckling for your independent child; EPS, energy absorbing foam for effective impact management
  • Unique front adjustment allows you to quickly and easily tighten the booster to the vehicle seat
  • Side Impact Tested. Car Seat Weight With Base: 10.76 lb; Car Seat Depth: 15.5 in; Car Seat Width Outside: 16.5 in; Car Seat Height: 26.75 in; Car Seat Weight Without Base: 9.11 lb
  • This Graco Highback Booster Car Seat is engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213

Definitely have to drive to the States to pick up:

Order Summary

Items: $35.35
Shipping & handling: $75.02
Total before tax: $110.37
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $4.74
Order total: $115.11
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 24th, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Hypherion wrote: Thought it's "illegal" to buy car/booster seats from US?
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/c ... r_shopping
Good point. Good thing it didn't say criminal.

It says:
It is illegal to import, sell, or use child car seats and booster seats in Canada that do not have this mark.

As if there will be a difference with the safety standards when the manufacturer will just make these to meet both countries safety requirements.
May 21, 2012
334 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington
alanbrenton wrote: Good point. Good thing it didn't say criminal.

It says:
It is illegal to import, sell, or use child car seats and booster seats in Canada that do not have this mark.

As if there will be a difference with the safety standards when the manufacturer will just make these to meet both countries safety requirements.
All child restraints (both five point harnesses and booster seats) must have the National Safety Mark (maple leaf sticker) to be legal to use in Canada. Our standards are different than the US, and some seats are different when purchased in Canada (even if they look the same). This can include a requirement for an anti-rebound bar, additional energy-absorbing foam near the child's head, different weight/height/age limits or a different shape to the seat.
Feb 21, 2014
448 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah don't buy any booster seats from the US and use them here, they have entirely different safety standards. If you are caught with one you will pay big fines, plus why would you cheap out on something like this.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
muskrat191 wrote: All child restraints (both five point harnesses and booster seats) must have the National Safety Mark (maple leaf sticker) to be legal to use in Canada. Our standards are different than the US, and some seats are different when purchased in Canada (even if they look the same). This can include a requirement for an anti-rebound bar, additional energy-absorbing foam near the child's head, different weight/height/age limits or a different shape to the seat.
Thanks. I will make sure to have the Canadian safety seal visible on mine.

I would be surprised if this one with the backrest and side impact protection will be less safe than the one on bestbuy that doesn't even have a backrest and is just a seat :). Sometimes common sense trumps any kind of rationalization.

Still gave a thumbs up for the logic you put in.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 24th, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
pagefaultca wrote: Yeah don't buy any booster seats from the US and use them here, they have entirely different safety standards. If you are caught with one you will pay big fines, plus why would you cheap out on something like this.
Please do share how the safety standards on a booster seat is that different in terms of safety between US and Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Please do share how the safety standards on a booster seat is that different in terms of safety between US and Canada.
It doesn't matter what the explanation is really, the police isn't going to care about your logic if you get caught (granted the chances are quite low, but if you get stopped for speeding and they can check for more if they're not in a good mood that day).

See:
https://www.ontario.ca/document/officia ... eady-drive
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: It doesn't matter what the explanation is really, the police isn't going to care about your logic if you get caught (granted the chances are quite low, but if you get stopped for speeding and they can check for more if they're not in a good mood that day).

See:
https://www.ontario.ca/document/officia ... eady-drive
This is going to be my last response. I will have the Canadian seal on it for sure. :). I think you missed reading my comment above. I am not rationalizing why i will not be given a ticket, I will make sure I don't.

Just pointing out how silly the rule is for booster seats because clearly one with side impact protection will fare better than one without.
_---
Bye everyone and enjoy the Black Friday weekend.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
What the op is going to do is remove the sticker from the old car seat and place it on the new one. AKA fraud.
Sep 27, 2012
263 posts
112 upvotes
YVR
alanbrenton wrote: Please do share how the safety standards on a booster seat is that different in terms of safety between US and Canada.
Not sure if this was the information you were looking for, but: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... q-1131.htm

I would also be concerned about your insurance coverage if you were in an accident and found to be using a US model car seat. That in itself seems like enough of a deterrent...?
Sep 27, 2012
263 posts
112 upvotes
YVR
pitabread wrote: What the op is going to do is remove the sticker from the old car seat and place it on the new one. AKA fraud.
If that really is what the OP is considering doing, please don't risk it!
Jun 5, 2009
243 posts
559 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't understand why anyone would post this? You really think many others are going to want to assume the liabilities associated with your suggestions? Sure, if you want to do it, go for it, but to post 'a deal' where one had to go about re-stickering car seats to save a few bucks???
Aug 5, 2012
46 posts
24 upvotes
SURREY
Have fun at the border. They seize these on the spot and will not permit entry.

If found tampering or misleading may constitute an offence under the Customs and Excise Act (2001). Maybe you can get a nice fine or they can seize your car as offence related property as the mode of conveyance. Perhaps if that happens they will let you keep the seat so you can sit in it on the bus.

It's logic like this that makes society realize why we need to have laws and protocols for things which are obviously common sense. I shake my head seeing that this thread even has to exist.
Nov 23, 2017
4 posts
I dunno why you guys are giving op such a hard time. As long as the baby seats are the same model, there is no difference between USA or Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
BigDealio wrote: I dunno why you guys are giving op such a hard time. As long as the baby seats are the same model, there is no difference between USA or Canada.
Care to explain? Same same, but different. Right?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)