Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.com] Lightning Deal: LeEco Le Pro3 (4GB/64GB, Snapdragon 821) $175 USD + shipping/tax

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 11:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
351 posts
118 upvotes

[Amazon.com] Lightning Deal: LeEco Le Pro3 (4GB/64GB, Snapdragon 821) $175 USD + shipping/tax

Edit: Lightning deal expired, price is back up to $208 now.

I paid $5 extra for tracked/expedited shipping, and total came to $220 USD shipped to Ontario. But Amazon will likely refund some of the import fees (as they often do), since they overcharged on the tax.

This is the third time I have ordered this phone (the first two were for family members, this one is for me). I flashed them with the official LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1) nightly builds and they work great. Unofficial builds are available for LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1), and it looks like it will be fully supported when the official LineageOS 15.1 builds are released.

The battery is also great, 4070 mAH. Performance is also great. No headphone jack, unfortunately (but comes with an adapter and a USB-C headset). Screen quality is acceptable (it's still IPS, but not top-notch quality in terms of contrast ratio and colour reproduction - it's not bad either though).

For Freedom Mobile users: The phone supports HSPA Band 4. It also supports LTE Bands 4 and 7, but not 13 and 66. (Freedom will be activating bands 7 and 13 some time this summer)

For this price, you will not find a phone with 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, a Snapdragon 821 processor, and 5.5" 1080p screen anywhere else.

IMPORTANT: If you don't plan on flashing this phone with LineageOS, please do yourself a favour and press the "Back" button on your browser right now. The stock ROM is complete garbage. It is honestly, without exaggeration, the worst I have ever seen. So don't say I didn't warn you :)
Last edited by Faruk88 on Feb 8th, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Jun 9, 2008
69 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
If I didn't have the Le Max 2 already, I'd get this. Definitely agree if getting this, flashing to Lineage is a must.

Lineage makes this phone amazing to use and having a Snapdragon821 processor you can install the GoogleCamera port to really improve the camera.
Dec 22, 2001
442 posts
201 upvotes
Faruk88 wrote: Lightning deal is 9% claimed. I paid $5 extra for tracked/expedited shipping, and total came to $220 USD shipped to Ontario. But Amazon will likely refund some of the import fees (as they often do), since they overcharged on the tax.

This is the third time I have ordered this phone (the first two were for family members, this one is for me). I flashed them with the official LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1) nightly builds and they work great. Unofficial builds are available for LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1), and it looks like it will be fully supported when the official LineageOS 15.1 builds are released.

The battery is also great, 4070 mAH. Performance is also great. No headphone jack, unfortunately (but comes with an adapter and a USB-C headset). Screen quality is acceptable (it's still IPS, but not top-notch quality in terms of contrast ratio and colour reproduction - it's not bad either though).

For Freedom Mobile users: The phone supports HSPA Band 4. It also supports LTE Bands 4 and 7, but not 13 and 66. (Freedom will be activating bands 7 and 13 some time this summer)

For this price, you will not find a phone with 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, a Snapdragon 821 processor, and 5.5" 1080p screen anywhere else.

IMPORTANT: If you don't plan on flashing this phone with LineageOS, please do yourself a favour and press the "Back" button on your browser right now. The stock ROM is complete garbage. It is honestly, without exaggeration, the worst I have ever seen. So don't say I didn't warn you :)
I own this phone and haven't gotten around to flashing it, how difficult is it to do? I've been waiting for a solid Oreo build to look into it, but haven't found the time to research. Other than "you can google it" can you provide a decent link to do this?

Thanks
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
351 posts
118 upvotes
Fresco wrote: I own this phone and haven't gotten around to flashing it, how difficult is it to do? I've been waiting for a solid Oreo build to look into it, but haven't found the time to research. Other than "you can google it" can you provide a decent link to do this?

Thanks
I actually forgot the procedure (it was 6 months ago that I went through the steps), so I will have to look into it again when I receive the phone, and can update the OP with clearly-outlined steps. But I'm pretty sure these were the instructions I followed: https://forum.xda-developers.com/le-pro ... k-t3500388

Just be warned that if you install the unofficial LineageOS Oreo builds now, you will have to do a full wipe to transition to the official Oreo builds once those are out. So I personally will stick the the official LineageOS Nougat builds, and do the upgrade to Oreo when it's official (which won't require a wipe).
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20681 posts
8865 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad LeEco failed. They actually make a pretty good product. I have the Max 2. The phone is virtually indestructible, the screen stands up well against drops on all sorts of surfaces. The only thing that has stopped working properly is the finger print scanner. It works intermittently now. Not sure if it is lineage, but I doubt it. Other than that, the phone is fantastic.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1458 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
Fresco wrote: I own this phone and haven't gotten around to flashing it, how difficult is it to do? I've been waiting for a solid Oreo build to look into it, but haven't found the time to research. Other than "you can google it" can you provide a decent link to do this?

Thanks
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/zl1/install
Jan 7, 2007
159 posts
48 upvotes
Great phone. The USB-C port stopped charging on me and now it's a paper weight. Seems to be fairly common problem too.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
351 posts
118 upvotes
golden_m wrote: looks like they are having financial difficulties...
Link to the article
You know, after my experience with the Nexus 5X bootloop fiasco, and seeing big companies like Google and Huawei screwing over their customers when it comes to their crappy support with updates or not honouring warranty service (e.g., refusing a warranty repair because of a scratch or scuff mark somewhere on the phone, or failing to address defects like this new lawsuit against Google describes https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... crophones/) I figured I'd avoid spending the big bucks to buy brand-name phones. With this phone, I'm guaranteed to receive security updates through LineageOS daily builds, and if it ends up breaking it won't be as big of a deal as having a $600-800 phone break on me.

So basically it doesn't make a huge difference to me for this phone not to receive support from the manufacturer... The warranty is US-only, anyway, so the bankruptcy won't be of much consequence to us here. Even if the company were to continue operating, I wouldn't expect to receive any service (unless you're close to the border and can easily drive over). Maybe it would help to buy it with a credit card that adds 1 year additional warranty from the CC provider.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8308 posts
690 upvotes
Scarborough
I will get iPhone ;)

PS. both my 5x and wife's still alive and kicking.
Faruk88 wrote: You know, after my experience with the Nexus 5X bootloop fiasco, and seeing big companies like Google and Huawei screwing over their customers when it comes to their crappy support with updates or not honouring warranty service (e.g., refusing a warranty repair because of a scratch or scuff mark somewhere on the phone, or failing to address defects like this new lawsuit against Google describes https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... crophones/) I figured I'd avoid spending the big bucks to buy brand-name phones. With this phone, I'm guaranteed to receive security updates through LineageOS daily builds, and if it ends up breaking it won't be as big of a deal as having a $600-800 phone break on me.

So basically it doesn't make a huge difference to me for this phone not to receive support from the manufacturer... The warranty is US-only, anyway, so the bankruptcy won't be of much consequence to us here. Even if the company were to continue operating, I wouldn't expect to receive any service (unless you're close to the border and can easily drive over). Maybe it would help to buy it with a credit card that adds 1 year additional warranty from the CC provider.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
351 posts
118 upvotes
Menace wrote: PS. both my 5x and wife's still alive and kicking.
Make sure to back up any important data... Because sooner or later it will bootloop (it's a design flaw).
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2607 posts
1449 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
To be fair, if you're buying ANY Chinese phones (Xiaomi, LeEco, Huawei, etc.), and your hardware is defective, it's unlikely that you will ship your phone back to China for warranty purposes anyway.

1. Turnaround time is approx. 3 months. 1 month there, 1 month to fix, 1 month to have it shipped back to you.

2. Cost of return-shipping: You're looking at like $50 (at least), while your phone may have cost only $200
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Jan 7, 2006
580 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
I got the max2 6 gig Ram version, one of the best phones for the money I've had (with lineage 14.1 that is).
Apr 2, 2017
285 posts
170 upvotes
Like new condition available in Warehouse for $3 USD lesser. A true RFDer would go for that instead.

:twisted: