Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Meta Quest Pro VR headset, $1099 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2023 2:37 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.com] Meta Quest Pro VR headset, $1099 USD

This deal isn't for everyone, so please don't downvote if it's not for you.

I would suggest it for VR developers and enthusiasts.

Current Amazon Canada price is $2000 + taxes.

I was ready to pre-order the HTC XR Elite ($1650 CAD all-in), which has a way better design and no privacy issues, but Meta got me by matching their price and including features such as eye and face tracking.

Pros:
* Meta's Quest has the largest ecosystem of titles. You can play SteamVR titles wirelessly
* Built in eye and face tracking
* Pancake lenses instead of passé fresnel lesnses
* More comfortable battery on the back design
* Choice of partial closure for mixed reality
* Controllers are supposed to be excellent
* Display has local dimming, better contrast for titles that support it

Cons:
* Requires using a Meta account (privacy issues)
* Only 90Hz
* Battery life is less than 2h, though you can charge while playing. EDIT battery life is > 3h when not using eye/face tracking
* Passthrough isn't good enough to read text
* Quest 3 may be a better option when it's released
* You'll have to pay duties, and returns would be more hassle
Last edited by davidm on Jan 29th, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
40 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2019
1554 posts
2677 upvotes
For those gamers out there I'd wait for the quest 3 release
Jan 21, 2008
602 posts
1005 upvotes
no improvement in resolution and fov. FYI
Jul 16, 2021
625 posts
977 upvotes
The big problem with this headset is local dimming. As a promised feature it only works on certain apps. Unless they fix this. Even compared to the cheaper pico 4 its worst in clarity.
The psvr2 is what i am getting and as a pcvr the pimax crystal at some point after the reviews drop
Last edited by bob12344 on Jan 29th, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
I'm not saying the points above are invalid, VR headsets in 2023 are very much moving targets in technical features and design, but the fact remains it's still substantially less expensive than the Canadian price.
Aug 20, 2018
340 posts
1578 upvotes
The Quest 2 is an exceptional piece of kit. If you’re able to wirelessly connect it to a PC, it becomes even better.

That said, the prices of the 2 are now so much more than they were, and the hardware has stayed the same.

Even with all that in mind, if you’re really wanting VR, and you have the money available for the offer available (in this thread) I’d still advise you to get a Quest 2 and a PC (or even just a Quest 2).
Apr 7, 2015
835 posts
853 upvotes
Vancouver Island
The Quest Pro controllers are the biggest upgrade, and they can be purchased standalone for $400 and work with the Quest 2.

Quest 2 + pro controllers fixes the majority of issues the Quest 2 had, and chances are pretty good the controllers will work with the Quest 3

The Quest Pro headset really is for professionals, not gamers or casual users
Jul 16, 2021
625 posts
977 upvotes
Quest 2 is terrible comfort and requires another 200.00 in accessories to even be wearable
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
RandomGuy22 wrote: The Quest 2 is an exceptional piece of kit. If you’re able to wirelessly connect it to a PC, it becomes even better.

That said, the prices of the 2 are now so much more than they were, and the hardware has stayed the same.

Even with all that in mind, if you’re really wanting VR, and you have the money available for the offer available (in this thread) I’d still advise you to get a Quest 2 and a PC (or even just a Quest 2).
From what I've read, the Quest 2's generation Fresnel lens is much worse than a pancake lens like in the pro. You have a small sweet spot, and all kinds of weird artifacts from the lens design. And they take much more space, so you look like you're wearing a shoebox on your face, and it's about as comfortable. Quest Pro is more like ski googles.

That said, the Quest Pro wasn't really on my list because of Meta, and I don't specifically want to game (though I have quite a decent workstation for Steam VR), but I want to explore VR/AR features, so at the reduced price I think it's a fair choice for at least probably the next eight months.

I've read and watched a zillion reviews from people with broad experience, and ultimately, aside from the full price, most people like the Quest Pro, though somewhat ironically the professional features are a bust so far.
Last edited by davidm on Jan 29th, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 22, 2018
152 posts
294 upvotes
This headset isn't meant for gaming. It's pretty bad, wait for the next iteration or get PSVR2.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2019
1554 posts
2677 upvotes
davidm wrote: I'm not saying the points above are invalid, VR headsets in 2023 are very much moving targets in technical features and design, but the fact remains it's still substantially less expensive than the Canadian price.
Yep a deals a deal and if I was in the market I'd be very happy with this post. Thanks op
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1367 posts
2072 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone have a treadmill here? Looking to bring my Meta Quest 2 back to life with a purpose otherwise it just sits around in my game room collecting dust. Recently, my son's friends at his birthday party had fun with Beat Saber with custom loaded songs but that was all I had on it.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
bob12344 wrote: Quest 2 is terrible comfort and requires another 200.00 in accessories to even be wearable
If you buy the official stuff maybe, can get a better strap for $60 on Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
Doesn't having to charge these things get annoying?

A wired VR is not even that big of a downside. I'd take better eye resolution and FOV over a wireless set.
Last edited by umadbrah on Jan 30th, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teksavvy sucks
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
QuickFingers wrote: Anyone have a treadmill here? Looking to bring my Meta Quest 2 back to life with a purpose otherwise it just sits around in my game room collecting dust. Recently, my son's friends at his birthday party had fun with Beat Saber with custom loaded songs but that was all I had on it.
I have a rowing machine, there are a few rowing apps. I might try them but don't expect much. I don't really see how virtual scenes and goals bridge the yawning existentialist gap when trying to find motivation to exercise, especially since I'm not a competitive person (cooperation all the way!). Maybe when they are fully accurate places so there's an absorbing educational angle. Row through history kinda thing.

I would put them in the gimmick category. I can see how guided exercise would make sense with a headset. But you would pretty much want the opposite of VR/AR for these kinds of apps, something like Kinect, so the user can be observed and corrected. Body attached sensors are a thing in VR, but are very niche.

Stil early days. The first generation of Android was all about AR, apps like Sky Map and Wikitude. Apparently Apple's 2025 headset will also be all about AR.

Along with utility, I like to explore these things, which is a main interest to get the Quest Pro, since it will be at the leading edge of some areas (which might turn out to be pretty dull, but that's part of the findings).

Here's the type of review that indicates to me it's worth purchasing (at a reduced price and expectations): https://mashable.com/review/meta-quest-pro-review

Along with a lot of people who say the lenses are just way better than Fresnel.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
umadbrah wrote: Doesn't having to charge these things get annoying?

A wired VR is not even that big of a downsize. I'd take better eye resolution and FOV over a wireless set.
Battery life is apparently 3h without eye/face tracking. That's a long session. And I think you can plug in a battery pack to charge it, and put that in your pocket. So you're not tethered.

Tethered isn't a huge deal if you're sitting in your chair anyway, but a lot of titles benefit from full body freedom, or you could just stand up and walk around while engaging, which might be good for the body.
Jul 11, 2015
371 posts
195 upvotes
edmonton, ab
whats the future looking like for non tethered. cant it be streamed to the headset somehow? i guess its obviously not possible now. but are they close to figuring that out?

how about the booties? def don't wanna be cybering with no legs. :P
~You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.~
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
jointedhornet wrote: whats the future looking like for non tethered. cant it be streamed to the headset somehow? i guess its obviously not possible now. but are they close to figuring that out?

The newest headsets (including this one) support Wifi 6/6E. Some people say it's not quite as good as tethered via DisplayPort, but that's only in minor details.

I think foveated rendering on a self contained headset (with eye tracking) could be as good as the most powerful Steam PCVR setup. People are speaking very highly of the few implementations that exist of it and local dimming on the Quest Pro.
Last edited by davidm on Jan 30th, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
jointedhornet wrote: whats the future looking like for non tethered. cant it be streamed to the headset somehow? i guess its obviously not possible now. but are they close to figuring that out?

I'm not sure if Wifi has a high enough throughput to carry 2K/4K resolution to both eyes, especially at 90-120hz. The video signal would have to be seriously downsampled and could introduce input lag.

I have tried playing "4k" games on Stadia and other cloud gaming services and they always look like trash.

So unless mobile chips see a huge GPU boost, wireless VR will probably be stuck with shitty graphics.
teksavvy sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)