Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.com

myQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Opener - New Model - myQ-G040 USD $ 19.98 + shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 12:59 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31662 posts
12977 upvotes
Alright did some more reading. I believe the BT feature just lets you set it up more easily, it's not used for opening and closing, I think that's done over internet only.

It seems the first model was compatible with two sensors and two garage doors, so I think either someone on here told me it was better to buy two for some reason; or, that it was just cheaper that way. I'm pretty sure I only bought the one last time because it was a BF/Lighting deal and you were only allowed to purchase one per acc't.

The new one has the same thing--one can control two doors (possibly more?) but the thing is the single sensor is more expensive than buying two full kits which you can do in this sale. Edit: Actually you can only control two doors on one hub, same as the older model. The new model can also control some other devices though like LED garage lights, smart light switches, and also a smart outlet. However it looks like these accessories are very overpriced and probably not worth buying just to "stay within MyQ" as there are other similar standalone smart switches, etc. which are much cheaper.

Interestingly the reg. price (or at least the current price) of the old version is $20.00 now, only if you buy one it doesn't ship until 21st of April according to what it says now. Edit: Sorry it's $20 but you can't buy it until it is back in-stock. So there's the option of just buying that one if you already have the old one and just need a sensor I guess?

Note: the new sensors do NOT work with the old units and vice versa--Chamberlin mentions that in the Q&A.
jasperException wrote: I believe 1 sensor per door. So in your case, you can order 2 of these and the shipping (include import and duties fee) is $12.64 instead of $8.97. Save the 2nd hub for backup purpose or sell it.

Update: Shipping is $12.64 but there is import fee of $5.70. Still no taxes. Thanks hiker007
The import fee is the taxes. Since it goes over $50 CAD that gets tacked on. Can be avoided by making two separate orders but look how it turns out (all USD of course):

Option1, buy separately:
$19.98 + $8.97 shipping + $0 import fee = $28.95... x2 = $57.90 USD

Option 2, buy together:
Two units @ $39.96 + $12.64 shipping + $5.70 import fees = $58.30 USD.

So looks like you save $0.40 US and screw the Canadian government out of $5 in doing so. Still on the fence about buying two of these or buying one more old version instead. But if I do I'm gonna go with Option 1 just on principle of avoiding the stupid import taxes lol.
Dec 17, 2007
431 posts
204 upvotes
buluan wrote: I have MYQ-G030 bought from Amazon.com last time when it's on sale. I only have one sensor of G0302 to control one of my garage doors. I wonder if I can use G0401 hub with G0302 / G0402, or use G0301 hub with G0302 / G0402.
ES_Revenge wrote: Alright did some more reading. I believe the BT feature just lets you set it up more easily, it's not used for opening and closing, I think that's done over internet only.

It seems the first model was compatible with two sensors and two garage doors, so I think either someone on here told me it was better to buy two for some reason; or, that it was just cheaper that way. I'm pretty sure I only bought the one last time because it was a BF/Lighting deal and you were only allowed to purchase one per acc't.

The new one has the same thing--one can control two doors (possibly more?) but the thing is the single sensor is more expensive than buying two full kits which you can do in this sale.

Interestingly the reg. price (or at least the current price) of the old version is $20.00 now, only if you buy one it doesn't ship until 21st of April according to what it says now. Edit: Sorry it's $20 but you can't buy it until it is back in-stock. So there's the option of just buying that one if you already have the old one and just need a sensor I guess?

Note: the new sensors do NOT work with the old units and vice versa--Chamberlin mentions that in the Q&A.

The import fee is the taxes. Since it goes over $50 CAD that gets tacked on. Can be avoided by making two separate orders but look how it turns out (all USD of course):

Option1, buy separately:
$19.98 + $8.97 shipping + $0 import fee = $28.95... x2 = $57.90 USD

Option 2, buy together:
Two units @ $39.96 + $12.64 shipping + $5.70 import fees = $58.30 USD.

So looks like you save $0.40 US and screw the Canadian government out of $5 in doing so. Still on the fence about buying two of these or buying one more old version instead. But if I do I'm gonna go with Option 1 just on principle of avoiding the stupid import taxes lol.
Found this MYQ-G0402 (sensor of the model) page from Chamberlain, looks like this sensor is compatible with the hub of the old model MYQ-G0301
https://www.chamberlain.com/ca/addition ... /MYQ-G0402

So if you already have MYQ-G0301 from last sale, just buy one set should work I guess.
Even they are not compatible, you can just install the new set (hub and sensor), and have the new set control the other door, I guess?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31662 posts
12977 upvotes
buluan wrote: So if you already have MYQ-G0301 from last sale, just buy one set should work I guess.
Even they are not compatible, you can just install the new set (hub and sensor), and have the new set control the other door, I guess?
Yeah I bought the one [G0401] now but after reading your post I'm wondering about this cross-compatibility. It does say the G0402 sensor works with the G0301 hub, but then the G0302 sensor says it only works on the G0301 hub.

So the 4th gen sensor is backward compatible with the 3rd gen hub; but the 3rd gen sensor is not forward compatible with the 4th gen hub? That seems weird it would be that way but maybe that's the way it is?

You're right instead of spending another $37, maybe I should just use both, one per door. Unless the old sensor does work with the new hub somehow as if there's a choice between hubs I think the newer one would be the way to go, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1221 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
BB88 wrote: I have the old one, but found it pretty unreliable. It doesn't always open/close through the app. There were times when it report the wrong status of the garage door too. Another bad thing is if it fail to close twice, you have to manually close it locally from the original garage wall console (probably a safety feature). Does anyone else have similar experience?
Yes, I got two false statuses, few unable to control by app and lots of missing notifications in last 1.5year. But since they upgrade their app, the missing notification problem was solved. Sometimes the notification was delayed by hours.
Dec 17, 2007
431 posts
204 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah I bought the one [G0401] now but after reading your post I'm wondering about this cross-compatibility. It does say the G0402 sensor works with the G0301 hub, but then the G0302 sensor says it only works on the G0301 hub.

So the 4th gen sensor is backward compatible with the 3rd gen hub; but the 3rd gen sensor is not forward compatible with the 4th gen hub? That seems weird it would be that way but maybe that's the way it is?

You're right instead of spending another $37, maybe I should just use both, one per door. Unless the old sensor does work with the new hub somehow as if there's a choice between hubs I think the newer one would be the way to go, right?
I wonder the same thing. But from G0402 page, at least the new sensor is compatible with the old hub.
As for the old sensor and the new hub, maybe because the page is not updated after the new hub released, so it's not listed as compatible. I'm just guessing.
Aug 20, 2011
47 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks! I ordered one myself :) Hopefully setup isn't too difficult.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31662 posts
12977 upvotes
buluan wrote: As for the old sensor and the new hub, maybe because the page is not updated after the new hub released, so it's not listed as compatible. I'm just guessing.
It actually says in the Q&A sections (on both product families) that the G0402 will pair with a G0301 but a G0302 won't pair with a G0401. I'm guessing the newer sensors have the data required for the older gen hub but not the other way around. Makes sense I guess but a little disappointing.

Have like 45 minutes left to decide whether I want to buy another 4th gen kit, lol. I think I'm gonna just have one old and one new, see how it works out.

Interestingly there's an app for some Alpine HUs to use MyQ; stupidly OTOH the MyQ app doesn't look like it has any Android Auto capability :facepalm: I'm not a huge fan of AA myself but seems rather dumb an app to...open your garage door...doesn't support AA. Oh it also looks like it works with Teslas or something too.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2876 posts
1568 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks Op placed order
Dec 29, 2019
132 posts
62 upvotes
I have the old black version. 105 days ago I switched my router, changed the password and had to reprogram it.

When it was set up I had it put on the ceiling by the plug and garage door opener, however it is hard to reach I don’t like ladders. I had a hard time getting it to sync within the app and holding the button that I could see while on the ladder. Finally it worked.

In this forum there is a video and the guy has it on his wall. No I’m thinking of moving it to a wall. It should still work fine?

I am having an issue now with it when I open the app it says last closed 105 days ago and low battery. No matter how many times I use the open or close symbol it doesn’t change the days and when open it still says closed. Not sure what this issue is. Anyone else ever experience this?
Images
  • D4928EBF-E322-4F59-B569-7366B541DD59.jpeg
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2315 posts
933 upvotes
I see $29.98 now.

I bought this off Amazon.com for $21.98 + shipping back in February.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2529 posts
2814 upvotes
(Here is my post from the black version I bought on Boxing day):

I am now able to voice control the opening and closing of my garage through my phone. Without any kind of paid subscription. All free.

Just use "simple commands" . Download simple commands app, link myq with it. Then add voice commands to trigger either open and close with Google home.

In Google home, Add other services "kloee for SC" in Google home, and link them. Then, Setup a new routines by pressing the multi coloured plus icon at the bottom right of the screen.

Then, add starter, go to voice command, use the same voice command trigger from what you setup as in simple commands app.

Then, go to add action > adjust home devices > adjust scene > and choose your listed action. It should show open or close Garage.

Add starter and action for each open and close.

Now test on your phone, "hey Google..... (your voice command trigger word)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31662 posts
12977 upvotes
CanadianChick39 wrote: I have the old black version. 105 days ago I switched my router, changed the password and had to reprogram it.

When it was set up I had it put on the ceiling by the plug and garage door opener, however it is hard to reach I don’t like ladders. I had a hard time getting it to sync within the app and holding the button that I could see while on the ladder. Finally it worked.

In this forum there is a video and the guy has it on his wall. No I’m thinking of moving it to a wall. It should still work fine?
Pretty sure the wall is the intended location for installation.
cbt123 wrote: I see $29.98 now.

I bought this off Amazon.com for $21.98 + shipping back in February.
It was "deal of the day" on .com yesterday. Hence why I mentioned having "45 minutes left" to decide about getting the second one (I didn't, I'll just stick with the two and see how they work out).

Seems the price is often lowered if you got it for that price in February though, so anyone else that wants one should just check back periodically I guess. Pretty sure these are subsidised by Amazon in the US as they are part of the Amazon Key thing. Heck, they even subsidise you to get one by giving you a $30 GC on your first use of the service. Sucks we don't have it here. Amazon is very smart about facilitating more purchases. They know with this people will order more stuff and ordering more stuff = more $$$ in their pocket, even if they sell the device on the cheap and pay people $30 to get it, it doesn't matter 'cause think of the money they rake in from purchases and more Prime memberships!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14782 posts
6326 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CanadianChick39 wrote: I am having an issue now with it when I open the app it says last closed 105 days ago and low battery. No matter how many times I use the open or close symbol it doesn’t change the days and when open it still says closed. Not sure what this issue is. Anyone else ever experience this?
Have you replaced the battery in the sensor?
Apr 26, 2019
164 posts
92 upvotes
CanadianChick39 wrote: I have the old black version. 105 days ago I switched my router, changed the password and had to reprogram it.

I am having an issue now with it when I open the app it says last closed 105 days ago and low battery. No matter how many times I use the open or close symbol it doesn’t change the days and when open it still says closed. Not sure what this issue is. Anyone else ever experience this?
You can put the hub anywhere at the line of sight with your garage door opener. It just needs to be able to send the signal to your Garage door opener and there should not be any obstruction. I would suggest to put it on a higher surface like a rack. I have not installed it on ceiling, it is simply put on a wall mounted rack which is almost at 6feet height. It is not even pointing towards the garage door opener, this way when light flashes it does not create that much strobe effect inside the garage.

The low battery you are getting seems to be related with the Door sensor. Door sensors are just attached with a velcro tape, so you can take them out and replace the battery. You may require to re-sync sensor with the hub, not sure as I have not replaced batteries yet.
Jan 7, 2008
60 posts
10 upvotes
Thornhill
Generally works okay except for the odd occasions when garage door opens randomly for no reason! Has happened a handful of times. This prompted the installation of a Wyze cam to visually check door status and if further action is required. ... very strange!
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1178 posts
825 upvotes
Canada
warmdeals wrote: Do they actually say it’s free forever?
I and many of us are using the previous gen (black one) and have been, there is no cost.
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1178 posts
825 upvotes
Canada
tofubb wrote: Yes, I got two false statuses, few unable to control by app and lots of missing notifications in last 1.5year. But since they upgrade their app, the missing notification problem was solved. Sometimes the notification was delayed by hours.
This is why I went with Meross (refoss is its brand as well) because it is hardwired + wired sensor rather than wireless battery operated one. Has HomeKit Support as well so I can control via Siri as well.

I have MyQ as well, I haven't removed it yet to sell off but Meross is better in my opinion.

MyQ has worked well but before the first time battery was due for replacement, I had many false notifications that the garage was left open, or that its still open (I had a notification set to 10+ minutes open to tell me). I have also been getting delayed notifications in the past 2 months. We open our garage 6-8 times per day approx.

Overall its great for the times you may need to open/close the garage because you dont have a remote / keypad or you need someone to get into the garage while you are away but I cannot say that I can depended on it all of the time to do the job.
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Aug 16, 2020
799 posts
145 upvotes
Samshares wrote: This is why I went with Meross (refoss is its brand as well) because it is hardwired + wired sensor rather than wireless battery operated one. Has HomeKit Support as well so I can control via Siri as well.

I have MyQ as well, I haven't removed it yet to sell off but Meross is better in my opinion.

MyQ has worked well but before the first time battery was due for replacement, I had many false notifications that the garage was left open, or that its still open (I had a notification set to 10+ minutes open to tell me). I have also been getting delayed notifications in the past 2 months. We open our garage 6-8 times per day approx.

Overall its great for the times you may need to open/close the garage because you dont have a remote / keypad or you need someone to get into the garage while you are away but I cannot say that I can depended on it all of the time to do the job.
Is that the only reason to go with meross or refoss?
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1178 posts
825 upvotes
Canada
newuserhere wrote: Is that the only reason to go with meross or refoss?
Rest depends on you, if you have meross / refoss smart wifi plugs or other accessories then it also makes sense to consolidate, otherwise if you only have 1-2 smart devices then it’s fine to go with MyQ; at the end of the day it’s not a bad product, I personally like wired over wireless.