Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Nvidia Shield (16gb) - $259

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2016 3:44 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
ManCaveGamer wrote: best device you can get
It depends on what you're doing. And as others have said, nVidia is due to release a new model soon.

i think the new model's just gonna be smaller, but pretty much exact same hardware inside
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8095 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote:
SickBeast wrote:
It depends on what you're doing. And as others have said, nVidia is due to release a new model soon.

i think the new model's just gonna be smaller, but pretty much exact same hardware inside
I highly doubt that. The Tegra line is due for an upgrade. The next Tegra chip is supposed to be as powerful as a PS4 and it will be in the upcoming Nintendo NX console.

I highly doubt nVidia would just shrink the size of the current Shield. That would be a pointless upgrade. And that's not how they do things.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24227 posts
43255 upvotes
ONTARIO
Nice to see Amazon.ca finally selling the Shield themselves.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
SickBeast wrote:

I would personally much rather put $259 into an HTPC gaming machine. The Shield is a casual gaming machine at best, and an HTPC can do everything a Shield can, only better (aside from 4k Netflix).

I would like one of these for 4k Netflix but I refuse to pay that much. I'm holding out for a 4k Chromecast. I don't know why Google doesn't release one already.
Your HTPC isn't supported by the world largest graphics card producer. Nor does your HTPC support native 4K at the frame rates of the Shield. Nor does your HTPC have a sick looking apple-knock off remote and Xbox knock off controller. Nor does your HTPC have android support of you flashed it yourself (NVidia literally updated their system to support third party apps like ShowBox which were having issues. Good luck getting hat support from you Chinese designed or custom made HTPC.

If you want a streaming box, this owns your HTPC given its android, it's the most powerful off the shelf android solution, it has the best support you can get from an extremely technology knowledge rich company.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8095 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
SickBeast wrote:

I would personally much rather put $259 into an HTPC gaming machine. The Shield is a casual gaming machine at best, and an HTPC can do everything a Shield can, only better (aside from 4k Netflix).

I would like one of these for 4k Netflix but I refuse to pay that much. I'm holding out for a 4k Chromecast. I don't know why Google doesn't release one already.
Your HTPC isn't supported by the world largest graphics card producer. Nor does your HTPC support native 4K at the frame rates of the Shield. Nor does your HTPC have a sick looking apple-knock off remote and Xbox knock off controller. Nor does your HTPC have android support of you flashed it yourself (NVidia literally updated their system to support third party apps like ShowBox which were having issues. Good luck getting hat support from you Chinese designed or custom made HTPC.

If you want a streaming box, this owns your HTPC given its android, it's the most powerful off the shelf android solution, it has the best support you can get from an extremely technology knowledge rich company.
You have no clue what you're talking about. Here are the specs of my HTPC:

Intel i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
32gb DDR3 2133mhz RAM
Zotac GTX 1060 at 2050mhz
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 motherboard
3tb hard drive cached by a 120gb SSD
480gb main SSD

The Shield has a fraction of the performance of my HTPC. It's custom built and it's overclocked. It's a gaming monster compared to the Shield. And it can do everything the Shield can do, only way better.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8095 upvotes
Here is another rumor that the new Tegra APU will be announced this month:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3097641/ ... s-way.html

The conference is from August 22-23. We will see. It would be amazing if we see an updated Shield this month!

I will say that I highly recommend against buying the current Shield products until the new ones are released and they clear them out. They will be cleared out much cheaper than this current deal. Otherwise you can just wait and get something much more powerful when it comes out soon.
Jun 18, 2008
510 posts
270 upvotes
Calgary
SickBeast wrote: You have no clue what you're talking about. Here are the specs of my HTPC:

Intel i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
32gb DDR3 2133mhz RAM
480gb main SSD

The Shield has a fraction of the performance of my HTPC. It's custom built and it's overclocked. It's a gaming monster compared to the Shield. And it can do everything the Shield can do, only way better.
You are comparing gaming PC that happens to do all that HTPC can, with media console that happens to be decent at gaming? What's the price point difference? 3x-4x?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8095 upvotes
753951 wrote:
SickBeast wrote: You have no clue what you're talking about. Here are the specs of my HTPC:

Intel i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
32gb DDR3 2133mhz RAM
480gb main SSD

You are comparing gaming PC that happens to do all that HTPC can, with media console that happens to be decent at gaming? What's the price point difference? 3x-4x?
Yeah my PC probably costs 3-4x as much as the Shield.

I'm just stating my own opinion that I would rather put the $260 toward a gaming PC. $260 will buy you a pretty decent GPU. The Shield is really weak for gaming. If they release a new one it will be better. I don't think Nintendo will be too happy with nVidia if they release a new Shield with the newest upcoming Tegra chip though. That could really cut into Nintendo's sales. We will see what happens. If there is no announcement of a new Shield on at the convention on August 22-23, we know the reason.
Mar 21, 2012
712 posts
679 upvotes
Edmonton
SickBeast wrote:
753951 wrote:

Intel i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
32gb DDR3 2133mhz RAM
480gb main SSD

I'm just stating my own opinion that I would rather put the $260 toward a gaming PC. $260 will buy you a pretty decent GPU. The Shield is really weak for gaming. If they release a new one it will be better. I don't think Nintendo will be too happy with nVidia if they release a new Shield with the newest upcoming Tegra chip though. That could really cut into Nintendo's sales. We will see what happens. If there is no announcement of a new Shield on at the convention on August 22-23, we know the reason.
I was kind of wondering about that as well. Maybe the new Tegra X2 or whatever its called will be exclusive to Nintendo NX and there won't be a shield TV successor. But on the other hand, maybe they're not even really competitors just because they have the same hardware. AMD supplies the GPU for both PS4/XBOXONE. Nintendo NX will continue to have exclusive Nintendo titles while nVidia will target the PC-esque market with GameStream, GeForce Now, etc.
Jun 2, 2008
159 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote:
rlav81 wrote: Has anyone else had issues casting to their device? I know when the screen saver comes on, it says Google Cast built in, but I've never been able to successfully connect to it... Any suggestions?
Works just like a Chromecast. What are you using to try to cast over? Chrome has the Cast support built in.
Have only tried from my phone so far, but using the Google cast app it doesn't find the shield box at all
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
ryanaz wrote:
SickBeast wrote:
753951 wrote:

I was kind of wondering about that as well. Maybe the new Tegra X2 or whatever its called will be exclusive to Nintendo NX and there won't be a shield TV successor. But on the other hand, maybe they're not even really competitors just because they have the same hardware. AMD supplies the GPU for both PS4/XBOXONE. Nintendo NX will continue to have exclusive Nintendo titles while nVidia will target the PC-esque market with GameStream, GeForce Now, etc.
...or maybe there will be an alliance between Nintendo and Nvidia, and you'll soon be able to play Nintendo games on our current Shield Android TVs? :)
Jan 28, 2014
690 posts
328 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
zdpz wrote:
SickBeast wrote:

Intel i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
32gb DDR3 2133mhz RAM
480gb main SSD

I pretty much have the same specs with 32gbram 4690k except I have a 960.

I also own a Nvidia shield and I can tell you that the Android version of Kodi runs much better than the windows one.

It loads streams, add-ons and library updates faster than the pc one does that I stopped using Kodi for my pc and I am only using it on the shield now.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
4003 posts
1841 upvotes
Yes let's compare the Shield to a $1,500 custom build PC
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1332 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Netcruzer wrote: If you are only using the shield for 4K Netflix, then you might have been able to spend a bit less overall and got a 4K smart TV to do that. However if you really want the most powerful android TV, voice search, KODI support, etc, then a Shield is worth it.
I love my Nexus Player, but those are all gone now. No word or rumor from of a new model in the works. I think about a shield sometimes, but the pricing is crazy. When the 500 GB Xbox one S is available it should be close in price and do a lot more.
Nexus player is dead
Nov 23, 2015
52 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got my Nvidia Shield used from B&H photo in the US a few days ago. It was rated a 9 on their condition scale, but it came with the protective plastic still on it and definitely looks brand new. If anybody has thoughts about buying used from them, I highly recommend it!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1332 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
zdpz wrote:
SickBeast wrote:

Intel i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
32gb DDR3 2133mhz RAM
480gb main SSD

Your platform/"monster" is outdated btw.

Most cutting-edge setups use a NAS/Home/Plex server backend with kodi boxes for frontend. Saves energy and allows for infinite storage upgrade capacity. No need for power hungry GFX and CPUs. Efficiency is the key.

Opps, sorry!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2573 posts
1947 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Are there any must have Android or Shield specific games that you can't find anywhere else?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2007
3648 posts
800 upvotes
dnydam wrote: Got my Nvidia Shield used from B&H photo in the US a few days ago. It was rated a 9 on their condition scale, but it came with the protective plastic still on it and definitely looks brand new. If anybody has thoughts about buying used from them, I highly recommend it!
Would love to buy use from b&h or any retailer that has them really but been looking for months with no luck, any secrets to getting that used one or is it just pure luck at checking the site at the right tome? Guessing they move pretty quick
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
3463 posts
1108 upvotes
GTA
Is this the cheapest option to make use of a 4k tv? I'm heavily invested in Plex and would mainly run things off that, but would definitely explore the other apps and such for media. Got my parents the Haier 55 from Costco and have always thought about getting an Android box (mainly for Kodi), so thinking to just go for the Shield.
Last edited by Zyphur on Aug 22nd, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.