Amazon.com

Panasonic DP-UB420-K 4k bluray player - approx $220 all in

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2021 10:33 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22386 posts
7632 upvotes
Stewx wrote: It's good, but a bit un-ergonomic since you're using a video game controller to pause, play, etc. And more complicated to play the movie, since you have to go through the console interface. Would be better if you buy a media remote to go with it.
PS5 media remote has dedicated buttons for Disney+ Netflix, Spotify and Youtube. But as far as I can tell it can't play an audio CD. The Xbox can though...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3469 posts
2081 upvotes
London
Taurean wrote: same price, but comes with Dolby vision

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Theater-Str ... 3213025011

mixed reviews though....
all of sonys current 4k bluray players are trash they will randomly freeze up well playing 4k disc and u have to go pull the plug out to get it to reboot. they also have crap lasers if the disc even has the tinyest scratch or even specs of dust it will have issues reading it yet the same disc will run perfectly in one of the Panasonic players. plus the model they make with dolby vision u have to manually go in to turn it off and on they can't just auto detect with a disc supports it and turn it on by it self like any other play can.
Dec 27, 2013
474 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: all of sonys current 4k bluray players are trash they will randomly freeze up well playing 4k disc and u have to go pull the plug out to get it to reboot. they also have crap lasers if the disc even has the tinyest scratch or even specs of dust it will have issues reading it yet the same disc will run perfectly in one of the Panasonic players. plus the model they make with dolby vision u have to manually go in to turn it off and on they can't just auto detect with a disc supports it and turn it on by it self like any other play can.
Pretty sure you just turn the Dolby Vision flag to "on" in the setup screen and that's it. Haven't had any discs not play, nor have I had reboot issues. Maybe I got lucky with mine. Picked it up for $50 at a Brick over a year ago (demo unit, no remote, some scratches on the top, no box), so can't complain.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3469 posts
2081 upvotes
London
Pbc100 wrote: Pretty sure you just turn the Dolby Vision flag to "on" in the setup screen and that's it. Haven't had any discs not play, nor have I had reboot issues. Maybe I got lucky with mine. Picked it up for $50 at a Brick over a year ago (demo unit, no remote, some scratches on the top, no box), so can't complain.
there is many reviews that complain of the freeze ups don't matter if u buy the x700 800 or the top of the line 1100es as all 3 models use the same firmware only dif is more features as u got up the line i had my x800m2 for a week before returning it. in that time it froze up a ton watching 4k disc.s from what i read online if u dont shut off dobly vision well using non dobly vision discs it don't properly do HDR or something like that at least that's what multiple people said.

after ditching the x800m2 i got the panasnoic ub820 and never had an issue.
Apr 30, 2008
764 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
If someone is hardcore enough to buy a dedicated 4K player, I would argue they should care about Dolby Vision and want the player capable of outputting it. Otherwise what's the point? Just stick with an Xbox or PS5 then imo. Dolby Vision has quickly become the HDR standard for most content, especially streaming. Obviously you're using this player for discs, and a good number of titles have DV too. It'd be difficult to spot Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 to the untrained eye, but some of the joy is knowing your setup is outputting the best it can. Videophiles/Audiophiles tend to be pretty anal, so I'm seeing instant buyers remorse for getting a player w/o DV, especially if it can't be returned easily.

The HDR optimizer is the killer feature on the panny player no doubt. I have the x800m2 and can confirm discs will freeze/pause on specific locations on some titles. Happens maybe 15% of the time, maybe less. Didn't realize it was a known fault of the Sony players. Wonder if I can get a refund from Costco even though it's been awhile...

Guess I should keep a watch for deals on the panny 820.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3469 posts
2081 upvotes
London
TH3R wrote: If someone is hardcore enough to buy a dedicated 4K player, I would argue they should care about Dolby Vision and want the player capable of outputting it. Otherwise what's the point? Just stick with an Xbox or PS5 then imo. Dolby Vision has quickly become the HDR standard for most content, especially streaming. Obviously you're using this player for discs, and a good number of titles have DV too. It'd be difficult to spot Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 to the untrained eye, but some of the joy is knowing your setup is outputting the best it can. Videophiles/Audiophiles tend to be pretty anal, so I'm seeing instant buyers remorse for getting a player w/o DV, especially if it can't be returned easily.

The HDR optimizer is the killer feature on the panny player no doubt. I have the x800m2 and can confirm discs will freeze/pause on specific locations on some titles. Happens maybe 15% of the time, maybe less. Didn't realize it was a known fault of the Sony players. Wonder if I can get a refund from Costco even though it's been awhile...

Guess I should keep a watch for deals on the panny 820.
when i looked deeper into it even the previous models the x800 none m2 people had the freezing complaints so seems like its a problem that sony did't care to fix even with a hardware revision. its kinda funny since sony is the inventor of bluray yet that can't seem to make a player that plays 4k bluray properly lol

costco will probably take it back i've seen people say they returned stuff they bought 2-3 years before.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1742 posts
1082 upvotes
AS2012 wrote: Thanks. It's a good price. I've wanted to watch starwars in 4k.
If you don't mind streaming it, the whole collection is on Disney Plus in 4K.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6380 posts
4108 upvotes
Ottawa
Why don’t buy Xbox x?
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22386 posts
7632 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: Why don’t buy Xbox x?
The one with the drive? Hard to find. The all digital S is everywhere though...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1991 posts
1250 upvotes
Durham
sonyHdr12 wrote: Why don’t buy Xbox x?
No Dolby Vision for UHD and crap quality for UHD disc playback
Dec 27, 2013
474 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
...the most important/impressive feature on the 420 is the HDR optimizer, outside of that, any other 4K HDR player would be fine for 99.9% of people. The 820 takes it a notch up on "build quality" for whatever that's worth, DV as others have mentioned above, and the ability to pass LLDV (Which is great for those of us with Projectors and an HDFury). Albeit, at $500, a steep price to pay these days. Haven't seen the 820 on sale in something like a year, and lucky enough to see it in stock.
Apr 21, 2012
738 posts
909 upvotes
Ontario
Just bought the Samsung qn55q90a. Samsung doesn't support DV, only have HDR10+. Sounds like this might be a good buy?
Last edited by mobbie on Nov 4th, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21163 posts
4144 upvotes
YUL
mobbie wrote: Just bought the Samsung qn55q90a. Samsung don't support DV, only have HDR10+. Sounds like this might be a good buy?
absolutely.
Apr 21, 2012
738 posts
909 upvotes
Ontario
Looks like Amazon estimates $183 after import and shipping fees which is roughly $227 CAD.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1332 posts
38 upvotes
This. He knows what he is talking about. Just to add for those with older audio receiver setups the 820 does a better job with audio decoding than the PS5.

While I'm at it, Sony lied or lead us to believe that the PS5 is a capable 4k player. It's a passable 4k player.
najibs wrote: FYI, I did a lot of research into high end blu-ray players a couple of years ago. To answer some questions you may have...

1. What's the difference between this UB420 and the more expensive 820. The difference is Dolby Vision, that's it. If DV is worth it to you, get the 820. If not, this will be fine. It still does HDR

2. Why spend money on this when you can play 4K UHD discs on an Xbox or PS5?....QUALITY....there is a perceptible difference in image quality *IF* you have a good enough TV

3. On the subject of TV's and quality....is it worth buying this if you have a $400 LG or HiSense TV? No. You're wasting your money and will have a hard time seeing the difference. However, if you have a higher end OLED or QLED, there IS a perceptible difference when playing 4K UHD discs versus an Xbox/PS5/streaming. Physical media (4K UHD disc) is king when it comes to quality.

Like audiophile gear, this is videophile gear. Some people will appreciate and notice the difference, while others will not.

That's my 2 cents.
Jul 8, 2012
975 posts
273 upvotes
VANCOUVER
My LG freezes on many of my 4k discs. Wish I could dole out $400-500 for a good player but then I don't remember regular blu-ray players ever having this type of issue playing discs.
Apr 30, 2008
764 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
spicytofu wrote: My LG freezes on many of my 4k discs. Wish I could dole out $400-500 for a good player but then I don't remember regular blu-ray players ever having this type of issue playing discs.
So LG players and Sony players freeze and skip, leaving what brands that don't have these playback issues? Panny and Samsung? These aren't even first-gen players either. So disappointing...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)