• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 4:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2344 posts
1280 upvotes

[Amazon.com] Parrot Bebop Pro 3D modeling drone $263.44

Still following this deal, and this is the lowest on 3xC. Do note that the software has been reported not included by at least one reviewer, but sold by amazon so refunds shouldn't be an issue. Originally when this model dropped it was $1500 at Best Buy, probably because of the software cost and professional-style intended use.
25 replies
Feb 6, 2019
156 posts
100 upvotes
The hardware doesn't seem very special, what's it worth without the software?
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5122 posts
1704 upvotes
I did buy this in Oct for a little more, and software was not included. Just repurchased again with intention of returning original, will see if software comes this time...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5071 posts
2423 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Does it just act as a regular basic drone too just to record? I'm looking for something relatively cheap to play around with recording some aerial landscapes up at the cottage this winter. Something with decent video quality and easy to fly, as I don't know anything about drones and don't really care about the 3D.
Feb 1, 2012
507 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
I have a bebop 1,
Support is basically non existent from Parrot. I see lots of folks complaining about support.

I will suggest follow with the DJI crowd.
Feb 6, 2019
156 posts
100 upvotes
My mavic pro is just about useless already with all the flight restrictions and phone incompatibilities.
Banned
Nov 8, 2019
23 posts
23 upvotes
KT2312 wrote: I have a bebop 1,
Support is basically non existent from Parrot. I see lots of folks complaining about support.

I will suggest follow with the DJI crowd.
...yes, Mavic mini is 249 grams (no regs) and an outstanding flyer.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1941 posts
404 upvotes
midget_man wrote: Does it just act as a regular basic drone too just to record? I'm looking for something relatively cheap to play around with recording some aerial landscapes up at the cottage this winter. Something with decent video quality and easy to fly, as I don't know anything about drones and don't really care about the 3D.
look at the dji mavic mini.

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4343 posts
4386 upvotes
Vancouver
That's a pretty cool application, and it looks like a great buy if it comes with the stuff it shows and the 3D modelling software (seems to be some disagreement among Amazon customers posting reviews).

Useless here in Vancouver of course since it's over 250g. Mavic Mini would be the better chose for us.

This would make a great expensive Christmas gift for someone, but before you buy, read up on Canada's new drone regulations and check the no-fly-zone maps of your local area, as local regulations may be more restrictive. You don't want to give someone a gift they can't use.
Jul 17, 2012
759 posts
334 upvotes
Kamloops
Recommended age 18 month and up lol I want to see my 18 month fly this thing lol
So 3D modelling does this thing do lidar survey or something? That’s a lot cheaper than paying someone to do jt then haha
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2344 posts
1280 upvotes
muscleking wrote: Recommended age 18 month and up lol I want to see my 18 month fly this thing lol
So 3D modelling does this thing do lidar survey or something? That’s a lot cheaper than paying someone to do jt then haha
Not sure, but the reviews of the function seem good - granted if the software actually comes with the drone. Just last year at work we actually quoted out someone to do 3D renderings of about 5 buildings, and he came back with a 10k quote.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2344 posts
1280 upvotes
midget_man wrote: Does it just act as a regular basic drone too just to record? I'm looking for something relatively cheap to play around with recording some aerial landscapes up at the cottage this winter. Something with decent video quality and easy to fly, as I don't know anything about drones and don't really care about the 3D.
Yes, it is essentially a Bebop 2 or Bebop 2 power. The 3D stuff is an add-on
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5071 posts
2423 upvotes
A Place to Stand
razrsharp wrote: Yes, it is essentially a Bebop 2 or Bebop 2 power. The 3D stuff is an add-on
It seems odd that there is no consensus on what you are getting, may or may not have 1 of 2 models of drones and may or may not have the software its listed as having. Just seems a bit weird as it is sold by Amazon, why are they sending out such varying units to people? Makes me skeptical of what is in the box. You may receive a gold plated, diamond encrusted 4k drone with 15 batteries and the keys to an Audi R8 in the box, hand delivered by Beyonce riding a unicorn, or you may receive a moldy turnip wrapped in a pair of ripped panty hose signed by Jay-Z's pharmacist's high school lab partner.
Apr 4, 2019
23 posts
24 upvotes
midget_man wrote: It seems odd that there is no consensus on what you are getting, may or may not have 1 of 2 models of drones and may or may not have the software its listed as having. Just seems a bit weird as it is sold by Amazon, why are they sending out such varying units to people? Makes me skeptical of what is in the box. You may receive a gold plated, diamond encrusted 4k drone with 15 batteries and the keys to an Audi R8 in the box, hand delivered by Beyonce riding a unicorn, or you may receive a moldy turnip wrapped in a pair of ripped panty hose signed by Jay-Z's pharmacist's high school lab partner.
It specifically says Bebop 2 Power in the description. I'm just going to send it back if it's not.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
I still don’t understand how Parrot is permitted to sell at Best Buy and Amazon, while they dont offer warranty to Canadians. If you are buying this, forget about warranty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2344 posts
1280 upvotes
midget_man wrote: It seems odd that there is no consensus on what you are getting, may or may not have 1 of 2 models of drones and may or may not have the software its listed as having. Just seems a bit weird as it is sold by Amazon, why are they sending out such varying units to people? Makes me skeptical of what is in the box. You may receive a gold plated, diamond encrusted 4k drone with 15 batteries and the keys to an Audi R8 in the box, hand delivered by Beyonce riding a unicorn, or you may receive a moldy turnip wrapped in a pair of ripped panty hose signed by Jay-Z's pharmacist's high school lab partner.
It's probably the reason for the ridiculous markdown. Still, $263 is fair for a capable, 3 battery drone, with or without the software. Also it's fully refundable by Amazon, and not all have complained about what they received in the box - some have in fact gotten the software.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5071 posts
2423 upvotes
A Place to Stand
razrsharp wrote: It's probably the reason for the ridiculous markdown. Still, $263 is fair for a capable, 3 battery drone, with or without the software. Also it's fully refundable by Amazon, and not all have complained about what they received in the box - some have in fact gotten the software.
I agree with you and bought one yesterday for that reason, it can always be sent back. I would have preferred that DJI mini that was mentioned earlier, but it was approaching double the price of the Bebop once taxes were factored in. I've never flown a drone before and I just want it for the cottage, where there are a lot of trees and a lot of water. I see it hitting a tree or running out of batteries over the lake due to my ineptitude, and I think I'd be less likely to lose sleep over a ~$250 loss than a ~$500 one. The price jumped to ~$1500 minutes after I ordered it, and was then unavailable, now its back to $1500 again. Amazon is weird.
Jul 17, 2012
759 posts
334 upvotes
Kamloops
razrsharp wrote: Not sure, but the reviews of the function seem good - granted if the software actually comes with the drone. Just last year at work we actually quoted out someone to do 3D renderings of about 5 buildings, and he came back with a 10k quote.
last time i heard a price to fly a reasonably long highway stretch and then process the data and create contours or survey database it's like 100k. i think your buildings they use the 3d scanners yeah?

this thing if it does ok accuracy for smaller site then can have good use. wonder what it can produce. probably can't create point files and pick up features or do a georeferenced orthophoto that's just asking too much lol.
Jul 17, 2012
759 posts
334 upvotes
Kamloops
looks like 1400 bucks now so is that how much this thing worth? 300 bucks they may not ship like the 1tb external ssd i got for 53 and just got canceled : (
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5071 posts
2423 upvotes
A Place to Stand
For anyone that bought this (if it comes) I just initiated a return today on something I purchased on Amazon last week, and the return window is the end of January, due to Christmas gift buying I'd assume. So if this is the same, which I'd imagine it is, the good thing is you have double the time to assess it than you normally would with Amazon, almost 2 months.