Refurbished T-Mobile RT-AC68U Dual-Band Gigabit Router US$48 + $15 to ON

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2022 11:02 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12758 posts
11578 upvotes
Oil Country
danstah wrote: Any special settings or tips for setting up for use with AIMesh. I set mine up last night but it's pretty unstable.

Are you on
v3.0.0.4.384.20308
or
v3.0.0.4.384.20648

I'm on 20648 at the moment. Wondering if maybe there's some "special sauce" to getting AIMesh to play nice

Thanks
These are the settings on my router, and they seem to work well. Most of the professional options should be disabled. Other than that, I'm not sure what else can be changed or configured for AiMesh.
Apr 16, 2018
1 posts
Thanks a lot for instructions. I tried USB method - neither 1703 nor 3626 FW worked out at first. I was stuck on flashing new CFE step: mtd_write new_cfe.bin boot - it would throw an error that mtd_write wasn't found.
Luckily google doc file was later updated, maybe there was a typo somewhere; when I tried instructions later - everything went smoothly.
I don't need a mesh, putting 384 Merlin and deleting hidden partition was good enough for me, fingers crossed Asus doesn't have more tricks in their sleeve.
Last edited by sayilyas on Apr 17th, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4325 posts
8151 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
fudge_u and others ;

I followed the bayareatechpros and then added Merlin latest stable. I'm now at 384.4_2 according to the router

Should I downgrade and follow the John fork or stay where I am?

The router is working well, but is there a concern that Asus could screw me in the future? I'm comfortable doing the updates, etc.

thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1588 posts
2219 upvotes
GPS - error
facebook259 wrote: Yeah. I pretty sure there is a trick that would work, but I ran out of patience looking for one... That restriction of not being able to use a '/' shell command, makes it tricky. Definitely, an IP address works as well as a hostname. I did mine using a freeshell.org domain... I'm pretty sure you could also just post things to a free service like weebly.com. But I suspect if you are putting on proprietary firmware on a free hosted site they will probably get a copyright take down. Even my freeshell.org domain was was automatically taken down after each test. I then had to login and change the permissions back to try my next test.
Just use HFS, put one file on it index.html and then put commands in it, which will be run.
You can then save or bring files via a USB flash drive.

Probably the easiest way I would say ...
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1588 posts
2219 upvotes
GPS - error
fudge_u wrote: These are the settings on my router, and they seem to work well. Most of the professional options should be disabled. Other than that, I'm not sure what else can be changed or configured for AiMesh.
This will kick clients with lower db than -55, which is quite high, so ppl might need to tweak that.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12758 posts
11578 upvotes
Oil Country
raskal wrote: fudge_u and others ;

I followed the bayareatechpros and then added Merlin latest stable. I'm now at 384.4_2 according to the router

Should I downgrade and follow the John fork or stay where I am?

The router is working well, but is there a concern that Asus could screw me in the future? I'm comfortable doing the updates, etc.

thanks!
It's unknown when Merlin's firmware will include Asus' security/block. You'll just need to keep an eye on the forums when new versions of firmwares are released. John's fork should be safer, but there are no guarantees. You could always ask him on SNB. The link to his thread is in the thread summary.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2301 posts
1105 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
fudge_u wrote: These are the settings on my router, and they seem to work well. Most of the professional options should be disabled. Other than that, I'm not sure what else can be changed or configured for AiMesh.
Try turning off Roaming assist. I find it can create problems with some devices. Like my wife's iPad kept dropping connection every few minutes when she is in the living room. Turning it off allowed her to maintain a connection. So for older devices, it might cause a problem, and newer devices don't need it. Overall though if you are really having issues it is better to dump AIMesh and go with access points. AIMesh seems to just share the same settings between routers. But with access points you can tweak the settings on each router. Like having maximum power on every router is probably not a great idea. Most hardware performs best midway, and no two routers perform identically. So it nice to be able to tweak that a bit.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2301 posts
1105 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
escape1975 wrote: Just use HFS, put one file on it index.html and then put commands in it, which will be run.
You can then save or bring files via a USB flash drive.

Probably the easiest way I would say ...
If you want to add instructions on how to use HFS, I'm sure it would be appreciated. It might save some aggravation if someone wants to complete the steps without having the router connected to the internet. (The current USB instructions require an internet connection.) You can also drop files in a media server, another router, a docker container, ... There are lots of ways to do it. To me though the really cool thing would be to figure out a way to use the router itself as the webserver.

I've considered revising the instructions so the firmware is automatically downloaded from ASUS's website, but that still leaves having to copy over mtd-write and the cfe file.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12758 posts
11578 upvotes
Oil Country
facebook259 wrote: Try turning off Roaming assist. I find it can create problems with some devices. Like my wife's iPad kept dropping connection every few minutes when she is in the living room. Turning it off allowed her to maintain a connection. So for older devices, it might cause a problem, and newer devices don't need it. Overall though if you are really having issues it is better to dump AIMesh and go with access points. AIMesh seems to just share the same settings between routers. But with access points you can tweak the settings on each router. Like having maximum power on every router is probably not a great idea. Most hardware performs best midway, and no two routers perform identically. So it nice to be able to tweak that a bit.
I'm don't have any issues with AiMesh. Just sharing my settings because someone else was having issues.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1588 posts
2219 upvotes
GPS - error
fudge_u wrote: What do you suggest? Defaults are -55 for 2.4GHz and -70 for 5GHz, so I just left them.
If it works I would leave it, but you'd have to go to corners of your property and read wireless log to see what db devices have :)
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1588 posts
2219 upvotes
GPS - error
Well I did it a little different myself, but I would just do something like this ...

(You only need to grab the CFE, modify it via cfeditor.pipeline.sh, and re-flash,
and then you can perform firmware restoration using the recovery interface)

Set your IP to 192.168.1.5 on your computer, and from the web interface perform something like this:
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\nmount -t tmpfs tmpfs userRpm";return true;}
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\ncp -a . userRpm";return true;}
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\nmount --move userRpm .";return true;}
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\nservice restart_httpd";return true;}
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\nwget 192.168.1.5";return true;}
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\n. index.html";return true;}
And make sure HFS has an index.html which has the command you want to run ...
http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?t ... _a_website

The only thing you really need to do in the index.html is something like this ...

[to save ...]
#!/bin/sh
cat /dev/mtd0 > /tmp/mnt/sda1/USB/original_cfe.bin
[to re-flash ...]
#!/bin/sh
chmod u+x /tmp/mnt/sda1/USB/mtd-write
/tmp/mnt/sda1/USB/mtd-write /tmp/mnt/sda1/USB/new_cfe.bin boot
Paths might need to be adjusted, I haven't tested it :)

You can find mounted paths using ...
validForm = function(){document.form.SystemCmd.value = "ping\nmount";return true;}

You can also bring other files over using the index.html method, just rename mtd-write to index.html, lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2301 posts
1105 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
escape1975 wrote: You can also bring other files over using the index.html method, just rename mtd-write to index.html, lol.
You are relying on a web server transmitting a index.html file that is not an html file exactly as is. Some web servers will do this, others will not. Likewise some clients will accept such a file, some will not. But if it works for HFS, great. My USB instructions have gone the more complicated route of uri encoding the command so there is no need to pass multiple scripts into the router. I feel though it is worth the additional complication, because it allows users to send whatever commands they need to debug when things are not working right.

If they don't have the CFE file, I just tell them to install the 1703 firmware instead. Then they can just enable ssh and follow the more standard instructions. But it is probably worth while at least adding an appendix that describes how they can create the CFE file without that additional firmware install.

... If you look at https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc7231.txt you'll see what the fundamental flaws are sending binary data as html....

First the mime type sent will include a character set, such as "text/html;charset=utf-8". In this case server could simply reject sending the file because it is not in the default character set. The client could also reject the file, or even worse either end could attempt to convert the character set. Next, the actual transmission mode how how a file is encoded in http will depend on the file type. An non-ascii file is generally converted into ascii and sent that way. An ascii file is generally sent raw. Both ends may assume there are no \000 characters and could either end-up with the wrong file size, or take the \000 as meaning a premature end of file...

In the end there are a lot ways non-HTML files can be corrupted sending them as if they were HTML files. The only way to know if it works is to try each server and client combinations including different locales with multiple files, because not every bug will occur on every file. I personally would not risk installing a CFE transmitted this way without checking against an md5sum, because if it wasn't an exact copy, I could brick my router.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1588 posts
2219 upvotes
GPS - error
facebook259 wrote: You are relying on a web server transmitting a index.html file that is not an html file exactly as is. Some web servers will do this, others will not. Likewise some clients will accept such a file, some will not. But if it works for HFS, great. My USB instructions have gone the more complicated route of uri encoding the command so there is no need to pass multiple scripts into the router. I feel though it is worth the additional complication, because it allows users to send whatever commands they need to debug when things are not working right.

If they don't have the CFE file, I just tell them to install the 1703 firmware instead. Then they can just enable ssh and follow the more standard instructions. But it is probably worth while at least adding an appendix that describes how they can create the CFE file without that additional firmware install.

... If you look at https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc7231.txt you'll see what the fundamental flaws are sending binary data as html....

First the mime type sent will include a character set, such as "text/html;charset=utf-8". In this case server could simply reject sending the file because it is not in the default character set. The client could also reject the file, or even worse either end could attempt to convert the character set. Next, the actual transmission mode how how a file is encoded in http will depend on the file type. An non-ascii file is generally converted into ascii and sent that way. An ascii file is generally sent raw. Both ends may assume there are no \000 characters and could either end-up with the wrong file size, or take the \000 as meaning a premature end of file...

In the end there are a lot ways non-HTML files can be corrupted sending them as if they were HTML files. The only way to know if it works is to try each server and client combinations including different locales with multiple files, because not every bug will occur on every file. I personally would not risk installing a CFE transmitted this way without checking against an md5sum, because if it wasn't an exact copy, I could brick my router.
Yes, you're right, that's why I recommend just transferring the index.html which would be just a script, and moving the files via USB flash drive ...
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2301 posts
1105 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
escape1975 wrote: Yes, you're right, that's why I recommend just transferring the index.html which would be just a script, and moving the files via USB flash drive ...
Yes. The worse case scenario with the script would be it might not run. For example, the windows server might add \r to the end of every line. But I find users are already having that problem when using notepad to write their scripts.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2301 posts
1105 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
escape1975 wrote: Set your IP to 192.168.1.5 on your computer, and from the web interface perform something like this:

[to save ...]
OK. A added an appendix 6 that describes the storing of original_cfe.bin to the USB stick. I included an umount just so they don't take the stick out too soon...

I'm not a windows user, so I don't really feel qualified to try and clean up the HFS instructions, but they are worth mentioning in the section about web servers.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1588 posts
2219 upvotes
GPS - error
facebook259 wrote: OK. A added an appendix 6 that describes the storing of original_cfe.bin to the USB stick. I included an umount just so they don't take the stick out too soon...

I'm not a windows user, so I don't really feel qualified to try and clean up the HFS instructions, but they are worth mentioning in the section about web servers.
Sounds good :)
May 2, 2018
2 posts
I'm stuck on the step:

./mtd-erase -d asus

It just seems to sit there and do nothing. How long does is it supposed to take, or is there an alternative method?
May 2, 2018
2 posts
KainAnderson wrote: I'm stuck on the step:

./mtd-erase -d asus

It just seems to sit there and do nothing. How long does is it supposed to take, or is there an alternative method?
In case anyone else runs into this. Upgrade to the newest version FIRST before trying to execute the last two mtd-erase commands. After that they run and you get something that looks like this:

[email protected]:/tmp/home/root# ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
[email protected]:/tmp/home/root# ./mtd-erase -d asus
Erasing 0x0 - 0x1ffff
Erasing 0x20000 - 0x3ffff
Erasing 0x40000 - 0x5ffff
Erasing 0x60000 - 0x7ffff
Erasing 0x80000 - 0x9ffff
Erasing 0xa0000 - 0xbffff
Erasing 0xc0000 - 0xdffff
Erasing 0xe0000 - 0xfffff
Erasing 0x100000 - 0x11ffff
Erasing 0x120000 - 0x13ffff
"asus" successfully erased.
[email protected]:/tmp/home/root#

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)