Refurbished T-Mobile RT-AC68U Dual-Band Gigabit Router US$48 + $15 to ON

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2022 11:02 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1339 posts
806 upvotes
Scarborough
It looks like afer the upgrade at 384.5 this router cannot upgrade or downgrade anymore. Unfortunately for me I had a decrease in wireless speeds (I am on 500u on Rogers and getting no more that 70 on wi fi). Before the update wifi worked at higher speeds.
Dec 27, 2007
22396 posts
14697 upvotes
Kitchener
iioonneell wrote: It looks like afer the upgrade at 384.5 this router cannot upgrade or downgrade anymore.
Have you checked https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NsZ ... pqih1TD5n8 ?
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12783 posts
11608 upvotes
Oil Country
aasoror wrote: 3.0.0.4.384.20942 is out.
Just upgraded both of my TM-AC1900 routers to 20942. One of the routers was fine after the upgrade, and continued to work without a reboot. The other one was only showing the power light, so I had to do a manual reboot to get the wireless working again. The third router was an RT-AC1900P refurb, which I purchased from Newegg, and that continued to work since it shipped with a stock Asus firmware.
Dec 27, 2007
22396 posts
14697 upvotes
Kitchener
fudge_u wrote: You try it yet?
Not yet, but apparently working according to: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/ ... #r56594029
Jan 26, 2004
337 posts
200 upvotes
Georgetown
I just got the TM-AC1900 from Amazon. However Im unable to flash it with the Merlin. I need help. is there anyone in GTA who can help me loading Merlin? I ve tried everything, but never able to past the CFE loader window.

i live in the west end.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1339 posts
806 upvotes
Scarborough
mackey2001 wrote: I just got the TM-AC1900 from Amazon. However Im unable to flash it with the Merlin. I need help. is there anyone in GTA who can help me loading Merlin? I ve tried everything, but never able to past the CFE loader window.

i live in the west end.
The ones with the newest firmware are getting very difficult to be fixed. I know here in the thread there was the method with the USB. Looked like that one still works.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
mackey2001 wrote: This is great. I will try the "No CFE USB" method tonight and reply back. thanks.
Did you have any luck? Did the router come with firmware 3199?
Jun 25, 2018
14 posts
Is it too late to buy one of these and hope you can get a usable Firmware with it out of the box?
Jun 25, 2018
14 posts
I just received mine today.

It has FW : 3.0.0.4.376_2827

What would be the best plan?

It has not been hooked up to the Internet yet. I do not need AiMesh.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
LesG97945 wrote: I just received mine today.

It has FW : 3.0.0.4.376_2827

What would be the best plan?

It has not been hooked up to the Internet yet. I do not need AiMesh.
I recommend following the instructions from Bay Area Tech website to flash non-Aimesh CFE and delete the T-mobile partition. This is what I did and the router works great with the latest release of Merlin.
Jun 25, 2018
14 posts
audit13 wrote: I recommend following the instructions from Bay Area Tech website to flash non-Aimesh CFE and delete the T-mobile partition. This is what I did and the router works great with the latest release of Merlin.
Hi,
I didn't have any partition called "tmo"? As mentioned in the summary. That was confusing.

I did do the rm -rf on those 2 partions and it did not complain.

I guess going forward I will always have to upgrade FW from ssh? It looks like the graphical interface fails if you try to do it there?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
LesG97945 wrote: Hi,
I didn't have any partition called "tmo"? As mentioned in the summary. That was confusing.

I did do the rm -rf on those 2 partions and it did not complain.

I guess going forward I will always have to upgrade FW from ssh? It looks like the graphical interface fails if you try to do it there?
I ran the following commands:

cat /dev/mtd5 > /jffs/mtd5_backup.bin
mkdir /tmp/asus_jffs
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /tmp/asus_jffs
rm -rf /tmp/asus_jffs/*
sync && umount /tmp/asus_jffs
rm -rf /jffs/.sys/RT-AC68U
nvram unset fw_check && nvram commit && reboot

After running the ssh commands, I flashed Merlin RT-AC68U_380.65_4 from the Asus gui. I cleared the nvram after flashing Merlin to ensure that all previous settings were gone. I then flashed Merlin RT-AC68U_384.4_0 and ran these commands:

ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
./mtd-erase -d asus

Running the second set of commands probably means I will not be able to flash back to the stock TMO firmware but I'm not concerned as I will only be running Merlin software from now on.

Finally, I flashed Merlin RT-AC68U_384.5_0.
Jun 25, 2018
14 posts
audit13 wrote: I ran the following commands:

cat /dev/mtd5 > /jffs/mtd5_backup.bin
mkdir /tmp/asus_jffs
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /tmp/asus_jffs
rm -rf /tmp/asus_jffs/*
sync && umount /tmp/asus_jffs
rm -rf /jffs/.sys/RT-AC68U
nvram unset fw_check && nvram commit && reboot

After running the ssh commands, I flashed Merlin RT-AC68U_380.65_4 from the Asus gui. I cleared the nvram after flashing Merlin to ensure that all previous settings were gone. I then flashed Merlin RT-AC68U_384.4_0 and ran these commands:

ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
./mtd-erase -d asus

Running the second set of commands probably means I will not be able to flash back to the stock TMO firmware but I'm not concerned as I will only be running Merlin software from now on.

Finally, I flashed Merlin RT-AC68U_384.5_0.

When you want to Flash FW from now on, I will need to SSH in and run this command?

mtd-write2 FW_XXXXXXXXXX.trx linux

I got an error trying to use the GUI to flash, maybe it was just that FW
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
LesG97945 wrote: When you want to Flash FW from now on, I will need to SSH in and run this command?

mtd-write2 FW_XXXXXXXXXX.trx linux

I got an error trying to use the GUI to flash, maybe it was just that FW
Which firmware is on the router? You're running CFE 1.0.2.0?

After flashing the Asus firmware over the TMO firmware using this command: mtd-write2 FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx linux, cleared the NVRAM, booted into the GUI, and set up the router using the Asus set up routine. I then flashed Merlin firmware from the Asus gui.