Amazon.com

Refurbished T-Mobile RT-AC68U Dual-Band Gigabit Router US$48 + $15 to ON

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2022 11:02 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
16384 posts
4252 upvotes
aasoror wrote: If it's refurb so you might be shipping with the locked up firmware now (as a result of prior failed cross flashing attempt, which is still hackable, but way more involved).
Given how old the router is now and for the final price once you add shipping and exchange I would just try to find a local comparable option instead.
glib wrote: Yes, got a "new" t-mobile about a month ago and was able to flash successfully.

Took a lot of troubleshooting and trying several methods (not reliving it, so I'll be of very limited help unfortunately) from the bay area flashing webpage, but successfully flashed John's ac68u fork.

New 8s in quotes because they stopped making these years ago and it's likely all old refurbished stock.
so is it better to get this then?

staples-asus-rt-ac66u-b1-ac68u-dual-ban ... #p32199800
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Oct 15, 2005
231 posts
469 upvotes
Vancouver
I flashed Merlin (384.17) on both ac86u (main) and ac1900 (node), but can not find node, how to tweak it for them to work as Mesh?
Thanks for your help,
Dec 26, 2010
523 posts
132 upvotes
SW Ontario
fudge_u wrote: Run these commands:

Code: Select all

nvram get clkfreq
cat /proc/cpuinfo
The first one will show what your CPU clock frequency is set to. The default should be 800,666, unless you overclocked the CPU, or the CFE contains the clkfreq settings. The second command will show your BogoMIPs. If it dropped to 199, you might need to test the OC settings on an older firmware version, and then permanently set the change if the testing is successful.

To do that, you need to run the two commands below.

nvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram commit && reboot
You have the option of setting the clkfreq to 800,666, 1000/800, 1200/800, or 1400/800. The higher you go, the more likely you'll run into stability issues, and reduce the life of the router. 1000/800 is generally a safe setting to OC to. Make sure you test for a bit before you make the change permanent, otherwise you could brick your router.

Run the following commands to make the change permanent:

nvram set asuscfeclkfreq=1000,800 && nvram set asuscfecommit=1
nvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram commit && reboot
@fudge_u
I have a TM AC1900 converted to AC68u and running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44467 std (09/24/20)

Is there an easy way to overclock it since you first posted ? On DD WRT, I can see under administration an option to overclock now but only says 600 / 800
Why? I recently turned on QOS to avoid bufferbloat. Bufferbloat is gone but internet speed drop down from 150mbps to 100mbps and I thought overclocking may help
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12809 posts
11631 upvotes
Oil Country
garce wrote: @fudge_u
I have a TM AC1900 converted to AC68u and running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44467 std (09/24/20)

Is there an easy way to overclock it since you first posted ? On DD WRT, I can see under administration an option to overclock now but only says 600 / 800
Why? I recently turned on QOS to avoid bufferbloat. Bufferbloat is gone but internet speed drop down from 150mbps to 100mbps and I thought overclocking may help
Hmm... You need to use the stock firmware to overclock it. There's a way to do it, but I don't remember the process anymore. It's been a couple of years since I last did it, and I don't have that router on me. Ended up setting them up at my brother's place.
Dec 27, 2007
22401 posts
14701 upvotes
Kitchener
fudge_u wrote: Hmm... You need to use the stock firmware to overclock it. There's a way to do it, but I don't remember the process anymore. It's been a couple of years since I last did it, and I don't have that router on me. Ended up setting them up at my brother's place.
NVRAM is still accessible under DDWRT: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware
(S)he should be able to use the same stock commands to overclock (unless the values are not defined in the firmware).
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/ ... xx_CPU%27s
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12809 posts
11631 upvotes
Oil Country
aasoror wrote: NVRAM is still accessible under DDWRT: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware
(S)he should be able to use the same stock commands to overclock (unless the values are not defined in the firmware).
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/ ... xx_CPU%27s
Ah... I don't know it then. I did everything using the stock firmware.