Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.com] Refurbished T-Mobile RT-AC68U Dual-Band Gigabit Router US$48 + $15 to ON

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2020 1:36 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16052 posts
2656 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: Planning to purchase this router for AIMESH. Does the methods still work? Which firmware to go with? I plan to pair this with a stock RT-AC68U.
This method still works but it can be more difficult if it's running the latest T-Mobile firmware. Once converted, you can run the latest stock asus firmware.
Last edited by audit13 on Feb 26th, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
20151 posts
11288 upvotes
Kitchener
AsianXL wrote: Planning to purchase this router for AIMESH. Does the methods still work? Which firmware to go with? I plan to pair this with a stock RT-AC68U.
Depends on where you get your t-mobile router from, if it is stock untouched then you can switch using the method in thread summary.
If someone priorly tried to switch it and it tripped the Asus firmware check and was forcibly downgraded and is now stuck in TMobile firmware then you need to use: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NsZ ... TD5n8/edit#
Mar 7, 2019
1 posts
KainAnderson wrote: In case anyone else runs into this. Upgrade to the newest version FIRST before trying to execute the last two mtd-erase commands. After that they run and you get something that looks like this:

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ln -s /sbin/rc mtd-erase
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ./mtd-erase -d asus
Erasing 0x0 - 0x1ffff
Erasing 0x20000 - 0x3ffff
Erasing 0x40000 - 0x5ffff
Erasing 0x60000 - 0x7ffff
Erasing 0x80000 - 0x9ffff
Erasing 0xa0000 - 0xbffff
Erasing 0xc0000 - 0xdffff
Erasing 0xe0000 - 0xfffff
Erasing 0x100000 - 0x11ffff
Erasing 0x120000 - 0x13ffff
"asus" successfully erased.
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#
This is the exact same problem I ran into. I'm tech savy enough to be able to follow the guide to flash the router, but I really don't understand what most of it means. So I apologise if these seem like silly questions, but what exactly do I need to upgrade to the newest version? I've already tried running the mtd-erase command, so will this method still work, or do I need to start over from scratch?
Dec 27, 2007
20151 posts
11288 upvotes
Kitchener
friedbologna wrote: This is the exact same problem I ran into. I'm tech savy enough to be able to follow the guide to flash the router, but I really don't understand what most of it means. So I apologise if these seem like silly questions, but what exactly do I need to upgrade to the newest version? I've already tried running the mtd-erase command, so will this method still work, or do I need to start over from scratch?
The post you are quoting isn't about a problem, the output in the post is a proper output when mtd-erase is executed properly.
What is the firmware you are currently on?
the mtd-erase needs to be run once when you are doing initial de-branding (after you flashed to 20308 and before flashing to any later firmware), you don't need to do it at each firmware upgrade.

Good luck
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
13336 posts
3000 upvotes
is it still safe to get this and mod if I order now?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Mar 20, 2013
927 posts
417 upvotes
Scarborough
kiasu wrote: is it still safe to get this and mod if I order now?
Staples have something similar for sale, but it's more expensive. I went on the forms and they were still saying that can be hacked. I'm on the edge as well, dive I want to add a second node to my network.
Dec 27, 2007
20151 posts
11288 upvotes
Kitchener
If it's refurb so you might be shipping with the locked up firmware now (as a result of prior failed cross flashing attempt, which is still hackable, but way more involved).
Given how old the router is now and for the final price once you add shipping and exchange I would just try to find a local comparable option instead.
Dec 3, 2007
433 posts
303 upvotes
Yes, got a "new" t-mobile about a month ago and was able to flash successfully.

Took a lot of troubleshooting and trying several methods (not reliving it, so I'll be of very limited help unfortunately) from the bay area flashing webpage, but successfully flashed John's ac68u fork.

New is in quotes because they stopped making these years ago and it's likely all old refurbished stock.
Last edited by glib on Feb 26th, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
13336 posts
3000 upvotes
aasoror wrote: If it's refurb so you might be shipping with the locked up firmware now (as a result of prior failed cross flashing attempt, which is still hackable, but way more involved).
Given how old the router is now and for the final price once you add shipping and exchange I would just try to find a local comparable option instead.
glib wrote: Yes, got a "new" t-mobile about a month ago and was able to flash successfully.

Took a lot of troubleshooting and trying several methods (not reliving it, so I'll be of very limited help unfortunately) from the bay area flashing webpage, but successfully flashed John's ac68u fork.

New 8s in quotes because they stopped making these years ago and it's likely all old refurbished stock.
so is it better to get this then?

staples-asus-rt-ac66u-b1-ac68u-dual-ban ... #p32199800
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Oct 15, 2005
147 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
I flashed Merlin (384.17) on both ac86u (main) and ac1900 (node), but can not find node, how to tweak it for them to work as Mesh?
Thanks for your help,