Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.com] Refurbished T-Mobile RT-AC68U Dual-Band Gigabit Router US$48 + $15 to ON

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2020 1:36 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10954 posts
7330 upvotes
Oil Country
divx wrote: but this is the ac68u?
It's not... it's a model with similar components to the RT-AC68U. The T-Mobile model is TM-AC1900. I'm unsure if some have Asus RT-AC68 variants have single core or dual core , but I know both of my TM-AC1900's have dual cores.
Nov 6, 2014
291 posts
239 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
For what it's worth I ordered March 26th, supposed to arrive today - not! No tracking at all, shipped by Geodis ? Have had lots of time to research firmware change. Seems like Asus has a real h*"*on for this T-Mobile product being converted and is trying to stop it but strange reasoning imho because if I (or they) brick it I would not be rushing to buy their OEM product at twice the price or more. The BayTechpro website now has warning not to use stock Asus firmware. Research this well if you are not in to gambling $80.00+.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10954 posts
7330 upvotes
Oil Country
Whoever did the cut and paste of the thread summary from the other thread, did a shit job... sorry.

*Edit

Fixed it.
Feb 19, 2017
103 posts
27 upvotes
Don't really need imesh. Just need a wifi router. What should I flash this ac1900 asus router. Seems people are flashing merlin.
Nov 6, 2014
291 posts
239 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
volt2017 wrote: Don't really need imesh. Just need a wifi router. What should I flash this ac1900 asus router. Seems people are flashing merlin.
Not from experience yet, but from research, Merlin has some later releases that do not include aimesh (2018 releases). They do not allow the Asus roll back to the T-Mobile firmware and access lockdown. That is my plan because I do not need mesh either. You can spend hours on all the various forums and posts regarding this router.
Feb 19, 2017
103 posts
27 upvotes
Bluiis48 wrote: Not from experience yet, but from research, Merlin has some later releases that do not include aimesh (2018 releases). They do not allow the Asus roll back to the T-Mobile firmware and access lockdown. That is my plan because I do not need mesh either. You can spend hours on all the various forums and posts regarding this router.
Yes, this looks like a good router for the price but not if they brick it. Are they doing this so you have to buy a new router?
Nov 6, 2014
291 posts
239 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
volt2017 wrote: Yes, this looks like a good router for the price but not if they brick it. Are they doing this so you have to buy a new router?
Anyone's guess. Maybe some licensing deal with T-Mobile for a special price. Only Asus knows but it seems they are putting a good amount of effort in to it kinda like Netflix geoblocking in a way but with much lower stakes.
Nov 26, 2004
549 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Great price. I paid more than this for a USED unit. Works fantastic. Range is quite impressive too...

+++ath0
NO CARRIER
+++ath0
NO CARRIER
Feb 19, 2017
103 posts
27 upvotes
Bluiis48 wrote: Anyone's guess. Maybe some licensing deal with T-Mobile for a special price. Only Asus knows but it seems they are putting a good amount of effort in to it kinda like Netflix geoblocking in a way but with much lower stakes.
I was going to buy it, but will have to research more to see if there is a stable firmware I can flash and that Asus does not hit it. Let me know what you do to yours when you get it. Hopefully you get it this week.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10954 posts
7330 upvotes
Oil Country
volt2017 wrote: Don't really need imesh. Just need a wifi router. What should I flash this ac1900 asus router. Seems people are flashing merlin.
volt2017 wrote: I was going to buy it, but will have to research more to see if there is a stable firmware I can flash and that Asus does not hit it. Let me know what you do to yours when you get it. Hopefully you get it this week.
This is one of my favourite firmwares to use. Super stable and has all of the current patches. John9527 actively maintains it too. It's a fork of Merlin's older firmware, which used a different wireless driver. Some people say they get the best range with the older wireless driver.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork- ... 2e4.18914/
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19335 posts
7460 upvotes
Toronto
volt2017 wrote: I was going to buy it, but will have to research more to see if there is a stable firmware I can flash and that Asus does not hit it. Let me know what you do to yours when you get it. Hopefully you get it this week.
Install the 1.0.2 CFE so you have the freedom to overclock and make it stick.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1752 posts
1073 upvotes
Ottawa
fudge_u wrote: It's not... it's a model with similar components to the RT-AC68U. The T-Mobile model is TM-AC1900. I'm unsure if some have Asus RT-AC68 variants have single core or dual core , but I know both of my TM-AC1900's have dual cores.
Isn't the only difference between the AC68U, AC1900, AC1900P and T-mo is the CPU clock speed (800MHz, 1GHz and 1.4GHz)? All of them are dual core though.
Not sure if they have any difference in the RAM
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10954 posts
7330 upvotes
Oil Country
will888 wrote: I guess I am damn lucky my T-Mo router hasn't turned into a blob of goo by now. The overclocking only increases temperature by 1-2C from what I can tell.
I think mine are okay. I OC'd to 1000/800. Is there a way to check the temps on stock Asus firmware?