• Jun 15th, 2017 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1277 posts
1045 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.com] Samsung Chromebook Plus $378.74 USD Ships to Canada

One of the best Chromebook out there. Not sold in Canada unfortunately so this is about the best price we can get for now.

460.22$ USD with shipping and duty for delivery to Montreal
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
I have a Lenovo N22 non touch & I love it. For what I need it for, I think its miles better than a tablet. I've eyeing this Sammy Chromebook Plus/Pro & the Asus Flip 2 for a while now & would bite at usd$378 but the extra usd$70 shipping/duties/fees kills it for me.

Fwiw, this Sammy Plus comes with playstore on stable channel (I think) & is likely better than the Pro or Asus for android apps. Money aside, I having a hard time getting over the non backlit KB as it's very likely a deal breaker for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1736 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
There seems to be a few reviews saying issues with battery, and that it'd stop charging.
Given the cost, I'd wait till it's here officially. Else will run the risk of lack of warranty.
What's taking them so long to have this here in Canada?!? Don't tell me it's the bilingual keyboard....
Jun 10, 2014
66 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
$460 USD ~ $600 CAD, not exactly a hot deal for a chromebook...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
thegsnow wrote: $460 USD ~ $600 CAD, not exactly a hot deal for a chromebook...
...but not bad for a chromebook AND an android tablet with a gorgeous 2400x1600 display. it's also one of the very few tablets & the only chromebook (besides its older sibling The Pro) that has a built in stylus for the artistic amoungst us.

has anyone priced out a ipad pro lately :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3240 posts
3036 upvotes
too bad they dont ship the amazon warehouse ones to Canada .....$320ish USD ....
Jun 10, 2014
66 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote: ...but not bad for a chromebook AND an android tablet with a gorgeous 2400x1600 display. it's also one of the very few tablets & the only chromebook (besides its older sibling The Pro) that has a built in stylus for the artistic amoungst us.

has anyone priced out a ipad pro lately :facepalm:
ya, ipads are not even on my radar because of their outrageous prices. I don't think this is a bad machine, just not a great deal IMO. Also, I'm not convinced its capable of being considered a full android tablet, I've played around with chromebooks before and had issues with android apps not being compatible... but maybe things have changed recently, I'm not sure.
Mar 30, 2008
181 posts
22 upvotes
thegsnow wrote: ya, ipads are not even on my radar because of their outrageous prices. I don't think this is a bad machine, just not a great deal IMO. Also, I'm not convinced its capable of being considered a full android tablet, I've played around with chromebooks before and had issues with android apps not being compatible... but maybe things have changed recently, I'm not sure.
I have the Acer Chromebook R11 which is one of the android app compatible chromebook and everything is working fine. At the beginning there's was a couple of app that were not supported but it's much better now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1277 posts
1045 upvotes
Montreal
thegsnow wrote: ya, ipads are not even on my radar because of their outrageous prices. I don't think this is a bad machine, just not a great deal IMO. Also, I'm not convinced its capable of being considered a full android tablet, I've played around with chromebooks before and had issues with android apps not being compatible... but maybe things have changed recently, I'm not sure.
Not a great deal but the best deal sadly
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1736 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
Face Screaming In Fear, just chatted with a Samsung Canada dude from their website.
He said "Samsung Canada has discontinued Chromebooks"
then I asked does that mean that chromebook will never be available in Canada?
He said yes.....

Now I know these support staff might not be the most knowledgeable. So take this info with a grain of salt.
Jun 10, 2014
66 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
genexxa wrote: I have the Acer Chromebook R11 which is one of the android app compatible chromebook and everything is working fine. At the beginning there's was a couple of app that were not supported but it's much better now.
That's good to hear ... I like the idea of chromebooks but their drawbacks seemed to be too much to justify the purchase for a while.
Can you sideload android APK files?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
thegsnow wrote: Can you sideload android APK files?
I believe for now, u can sideload apk from developer mode only. I've link a youtube vid below for u

Sep 27, 2014
397 posts
237 upvotes
Langley, BC
The price is not that great after the exchange.

Tried Ubuntu on a Lenovo Chromebook the other day. It turned out it's a better option to run Linux instead of Chrome OS.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1736 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
Been looking around for alternatives, the one being available here, and is comparable is the ASUS flip C302.
But that one goes for around $700 after tax.

At that price, I could get several of those china dual boot tablets.
Need to ponder on this a bit longer.
Jun 10, 2014
66 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote: I believe for now, u can sideload apk from developer mode only. I've link a youtube vid below for u
I'll definitely look into it, thanks.