Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.com] TICTID MX Pro Android TV Box S905X [Android 5.1] TV Box OS Quad Core 1G/8G $29.99 W/FS/NT

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2018 4:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10575 posts
4984 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.com] TICTID MX Pro Android TV Box S905X [Android 5.1] TV Box OS Quad Core 1G/8G $29.99 W/FS/NT

Amazon has this TICTID MX Pro Android TV Box for $29.99 after using code QB4XQNB2 at checkout for 40% off. Fulfilled by Amazon with free shipping and no tax.
This has an S905X processor, 4 USB ports, but it is only 1 GB/ 8GB and is running Android 5.1. Enough to run Kodi Krypton, but just. This might be good for those who want an inexpensive first box to try out, Just a cheap WIFi media player with a little Kodi or Terrarrium thrown in, or for those who want to run LibreElec anyway.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2011 posts
1392 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't think 1GB/8GB is worth it especially for a 1st box. Your impression will be based on it and lop you'll think all the boxes are slow
Jul 11, 2017
635 posts
757 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: I don't think 1GB/8GB is worth it especially for a 1st box. Your impression will be based on it and lop you'll think all the boxes are slow
This is perfectly fine if you are are using this for iptv, Terrarium-tv.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Good value, and it will run the standard streaming apps ok even with 1 Gbyte RAM, but I agree that it would be better to spend just $10 more and get a better box with more memory.

BTW, how does this qualify for free shipping when it's under $35 with the discount? I know it says "free shipping" in the listing, but the list price is over $35.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10575 posts
4984 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote: Good value, and it will run the standard streaming apps ok even with 1 Gbyte RAM, but I agree that it would be better to spend just $10 more and get a better box with more memory.

BTW, how does this qualify for free shipping when it's under $35 with the discount? I know it says "free shipping" in the listing, but the list price is over $35.
I think the vendor is offering the free shipping, not Amazon, as many of the Android box sellers do.
I agree, for many users extra ram would be advisable, but personally I am running a 905W 2GB/16GB and a 905X 1GB/8GB box in the house and I see little difference between them in typical streaming operations. I do recall an older 1/8 box that I had years ago being somewhat slow, but this doesn't seem to be so any longer with 1/8 boxes, or at least the one that I have.
The Android 5.1 on this box might be a factor for those who want to run Kodi on Android long term. It is compatible with the latest Kodi version, but who knows whether the next major Kodi update may forego 5.1 compatibility, in a year or two.
Last edited by idiotcanuck on Jan 31st, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
idiotcanuck wrote: I think the vendor is offering the free shipping, not Amazon, as many of the Android box sellers do.
I agree, for many users extra ram would be advisable, but personally I am running a 905W 2GB/16GB and a 905X 1GB/8GB box in the house and I see little difference between them in typical streaming operations. I do recall an older 1/8 box that I had years ago being somewhat slow, but this doesn't seem to be so any longer with 1/8 boxes, or at least the one that I have.
The Android 5.1 on this box might be a factor for those who want to run Kodi on Android long term. It is compatible with the latest Kodi version, but who knows whether the next major Kodi update may forego 5.1 compatibility, in a year or two.
As far as I am aware, if it's "Fulfilled by Amazon" (which is what you want), then the $35 free shipping limit applies.

I only retired my old TICTID S805 box with 1 Gbyte RAM a few months ago, and it was working fine for streaming, so I'm sure an S905X both with 1 Gbyte would be even better. The issues were that it was getting a little more sluggish over time due to unavoidable software and data bloat, and I had to use a special build of Kodi 17 for Android 4.4 since it's no longer officially supported and TICTID never offers updates (or support of any kind).

Although the box in this thread says "Android 5.1" in the title, it says Android 6.0 in the details, and I'm sure that 6.0 is correct since all S905X boxes come with Android 6.0. Shows how much you can rely on the specs though!

If I were buying a new box today, the things I would look for are:

1. Price under $50 incl. tax and shipping. There's no need to spend more on something that will be outdated in 2 years anyway.
2. Amazon.ca and "Fulfilled by Amazon" preferred. Other suppliers can be cheaper, but can't be trusted and may incur long delays and unexpected tax/brokerage fees.
3. S905X processor. S905W ok if the box is $10 cheaper, S912 better, but probably unnecessary. Avoid others like Rockchip that are cheaper but outside mainstream.
4. At least Android 6.0, preferably 7.1, but it goes with the chip: almost all S905X processors are Android 6.0, S905W are Android 7.1.
5. At least 2 Gbytes RAM, and probably 16 Gbytes storage. More is nice, but unnecessary, and even 8 Gbytes storage is enough for a full range of apps.
6. Dual band AC WiFi would be nice, but none have that. Some have dual-band WiFi N, but 5 GHz signal strength may not be usable anyway. 2.4 GHz with a decent antenna may be best, but most don't have a decent antenna, and you can only guess if the WiFi is going to be usable or not.
7. Ethernet port in case WiFi doesn't work well.
8. Built-in Bluetooth is nice to have (since otherwise support is often missing from the Android build and can't be added via a Bluetooth dongle afterwards), but not really necessary since the popular keyboards and air mouse use 2.4 GHz dongles.

It doesn't matter if Kodi is pre-installed because you should probably wipe everything the box supplier installed and start over in order to clean out spyware and adware, and get up-to-date versions with less performance-impacting clutter.

You have to consider the future with about a 2-year time frame. Currently Kodi 17 won't run on Android earlier than 5.1, and the next version may require Android 6.0, and the one after that Android 7.1. Who knows? Even today you'll get snappier performance with 2 Gbytes than with 1 Gbyte, and with continuous software bloat in the apps, that's bound to be a progressive trend.
Last edited by Exp315 on Jan 31st, 2018 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10575 posts
4984 upvotes
Toronto
barnesy wrote: New to this space, which box would you recommend then?

https://www.amazon.ca/TICTID-RK-Quad-Co ... 641&sr=8-4
It depends on your budget and intended uses, but this deal is similar to above and discounted 30%, and has dual band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

amazon-ca-tictid-s905x-tv-box-android-2 ... f-2167630/
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/redirect.html?i ... ive=330641
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10575 posts
4984 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote: As far as I am aware, if it's "Fulfilled by Amazon" (which is what you want), then the $35 free shipping limit applies.

I only retired my old TICTID S805 box with 1 Gbyte RAM a few months ago, and it was working fine for streaming, so I'm sure an S905X both with 1 Gbyte would be even better. The issues were that it was getting a little more sluggish over time due to unavoidable software and data bloat, and I had to use a special build of Kodi 17 for Android 4.4 since it's no longer officially supported and TICTID never offers updates (or support of any kind).

Although the box in this thread says "Android 5.1" in the title, it says Android 6.0 in the details, and I'm sure that 6.0 is correct since all S905X boxes come with Android 6.0. Shows how much you can rely on the specs though!

If I were buying a new box today, the things I would look for are:

1. Price under $50 incl. tax and shipping. There's no need to spend more on something that will be outdated in 2 years anyway.
2. Amazon.ca and "Fulfilled by Amazon" preferred. Other suppliers can be cheaper, but can't be trusted and may incur long delays and unexpected tax/brokerage fees.
3. S905X processor. S905W ok if the box is $10 cheaper, S912 better, but probably unnecessary. Avoid others like Rockchip that are cheaper but outside mainstream.
4. At least Android 6.0, preferably 7.1, but it goes with the chip: almost all S905X processors are Android 6.0, S905W are Android 7.1.
5. At least 2 Gbytes RAM, and probably 16 Gbytes storage. More is nice, but unnecessary, and even 8 Gbytes storage is enough for a full range of apps.
6. Dual band AC WiFi would be nice, but none have that. Some have dual-band WiFi N, but 5 GHz signal strength may not be usable anyway. 2.4 GHz with a decent antenna may be best, but most don't have a decent antenna, and you can only guess if the WiFi is going to be usable or not.
7. Ethernet port in case WiFi doesn't work well.
8. Built-in Bluetooth is nice to have (since otherwise support is often missing from the Android build and can't be added via a Bluetooth dongle afterwards), but not really necessary since the popular keyboards and air mouse use 2.4 GHz dongles.

It doesn't matter if Kodi is pre-installed because you should probably wipe everything the box supplier installed and start over in order to clean out spyware and adware, and get up-to-date versions with less performance-impacting clutter.

You have to consider the future with about a 2-year time frame. Currently Kodi 17 won't run on Android earlier than 5.1, and the next version may require Android 6.0, and the one after that Android 7.1. Who knows? Even today you'll get snappier performance with 2 Gbytes than with 1 Gbyte, and with continuous software bloat in the apps, that's bound to be a progressive trend.
I had the feeling that the mistake in the description might be the processor and not the Android version.
I was thinking that this box might have an S905, not an S905X and actually might have 5.1. Although your way would be preferable.
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
You people REALLY need to STOP linking to and buying this cheap Chinese garbage like YESTERDAY. The Nvidia Shield TV, Android TVs, the Amazon products, and the Mii box are the only legitimate Android streaming devices on the market. Why waste your money on this shit?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10575 posts
4984 upvotes
Toronto
StreamingFan wrote: You people REALLY need to STOP linking to and buying this cheap Chinese garbage like YESTERDAY. The Nvidia Shield TV, Android TVs, the Amazon products, and the Mii box are the only legitimate Android streaming devices on the market. Why waste your money on this shit?
Hard to tell where you stand on the issue, Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes but
I'm guessing that you are not a fan of these other Android Boxes.
$250 for a Shield, $100 for a MiBox, $50 for a Fire TV Stick basic, until a sale occurs, for a device that will have a better smoother interface, updates, and probably a longer lifespan, but will not really run Kodi, IPTV or Terrarium much differently. Those devices are great if you need/want 4K Netflix support, but personally I'll stick with my garbage for now, especially for secondary TV or occasional use. Winking Face
Apr 30, 2008
70 posts
34 upvotes
Major issues with mii box streaming Netflix . Doesn't work on my new tv . Only.on my old one . Waisted Lots of time troubleshooting
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3591 posts
936 upvotes
StreamingFan wrote: You people REALLY need to STOP linking to and buying this cheap Chinese garbage like YESTERDAY. The Nvidia Shield TV, Android TVs, the Amazon products, and the Mii box are the only legitimate Android streaming devices on the market. Why waste your money on this shit?
Well the hardware is actually pretty decent (2gb ram minimum which makes it much snappier) for a 4k media player. I bought a few for the sole purpose of running libreelec which runs 4k extremely well with proper 5.1 audio. Never bought them with the intention of using Android since it's not Android TV.

I had one collecting dust and wanted something for a bedroom. You can install custom Android firmware that pretty much converts the box into Android TV, had to build my own firmware though so ended up cleaning all the bloat and china crap. It works great for a bedroom TV with leanback youtube.

Yes it still can't play HD Netflix but that is not really an issue for my usage, plus Netflix is on everything.