• Dec 23rd, 2010 1:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 16, 2008
943 posts
18 upvotes

Amazon.com & VISA/MC Gift Cards

Trying to get an Amazon.com gift card from a store for a relative for Christmas, but that is not possible it seems. So I got the idea - why not get a $25 Visa or Mastercard gift card?

Would either of those work with Amazon.com, or do you think there'd be trouble using them? Would I be better off just buying an Amazon.com gift card and printing it on printer paper?

Thanks! :)
9 replies
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
The visa/mastercard giftcards have a ridiculous activation fee. I wouldn't buy one.
Also, with those cards, you can't purchase an item for any value over the value of the card...meaning you'll most likely lose a few dollars by not being able to apply the full value of the card to an item.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2978 posts
954 upvotes
Ottawa
JaneSmith wrote: The visa/mastercard giftcards have a ridiculous activation fee. I wouldn't buy one.
Also, with those cards, you can't purchase an item for any value over the value of the card...meaning you'll most likely lose a few dollars by not being able to apply the full value of the card to an item.

You can then use the prepaid creditcard at any store nearby. (ex: buy candy at SDM and split method of payment)
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: You can then use the prepaid creditcard at any store nearby. (ex: buy candy at SDM and split method of payment)
I'm not sure what you mean?
If you buy a visa/mastercard giftcard for $25 and you want to purchase something for $30, you can't use the card and pay the $5 difference. The card will be denied. It's really stupid.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2978 posts
954 upvotes
Ottawa
JaneSmith wrote: I'm not sure what you mean?
If you buy a visa/mastercard giftcard for $25 and you want to purchase something for $30, you can't use the card and pay the $5 difference. The card will be denied. It's really stupid.

No... but rather you can buy a $25 card and use it to purchase something at amazon for a total of let's say $23.92

Your card balance will have $1.08 remaining for you to spend at Shoppers for some nice chocolate :P

P.S. All cards can be used for the maximum amount MINUS ~ $1, because most online retailers put a "test" charge on your card, which is cancelled immediately. Prepaid cards take longer to fall off (So in a single transaction, you can ultimately only buy up to $24.00 on a $25 card
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: No... but rather you can buy a $25 card and use it to purchase something at amazon for a total of let's say $23.92

Your card balance will have $1.08 remaining for you to spend at Shoppers for some nice chocolate :P

P.S. All cards can be used for the maximum amount MINUS ~ $1, because most online retailers put a "test" charge on your card, which is cancelled immediately. Prepaid cards take longer to fall off (So in a single transaction, you can ultimately only buy up to $24.00 on a $25 card
ahhh...ok. Yeah you're right, you could do that! Sorry I didn't understand you before. Still though, it's gonna cost you about 30 bucks once you add the activation fee and subtract the 'test charge', for the privilege of using the card. On top of that, you are limited in what you can purchase with it, and if you don't use up the balance by a certain time, they start charging you a monthly maintenance fee.
To tell you the truth, I think you'd have to be insane to buy one of these cards.
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
JaneSmith wrote: I'm not sure what you mean?
Yes, but what you can do is to tell cashier you will pay $5 cash and $25 MC/Visa. That way it will work.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2978 posts
954 upvotes
Ottawa
Vov86 wrote: Yes, but what you can do is to tell cashier you will pay $5 cash and $25 MC/Visa. That way it will work.

Not gonna work online :razz: since JaneSmith intends for it to be used online.

Alternatively, the CIBC Advantage Card (aka Debit card with a nice shiny VISA logo) is now accepted to use on Amazon.ca (& probably .com too)....although you can't gift your debit card :P
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3815 posts
1090 upvotes
If you really need a prepaid mastercard, Zoompass is the best way to do it IMO. From my understanding the fees are significantly lower to non-existant than the others.