Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon] WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Disk Drive, $349.99, Lowest ever!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 12:53 am
[OP]
Jul 15, 2011
7 posts
29 upvotes

[Amazon] WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Disk Drive, $349.99, Lowest ever!

Used this forum for a long time and purchased a lot of stuff with the great deals posted by the RFDers. Want to contribute and post my first post, as I think it is a good deal.
This Hard drive is at its lowest price ever according to 3Camels. good for the growing age of data (photo, video, security cameras, etc).
----------To RFDers: think before you buy ^_^ --------------------------
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1203 posts
424 upvotes
GTA
Great find, $35/TB :D
I should add it's not cheap per TB, unless you specifically need this type of drive.
Best deal is a $180ish seagate or wd - 8tb - Shucked
Last edited by GSpeed on Jun 16th, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1537 posts
1377 upvotes
Alberta
eliteqing wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 8:57 am
Used this forum for a long time and purchased a lot of stuff with the great deals posted by the RFDers. Want to contribute and post my first post, as I think it is a good deal.
This Hard drive is at its lowest price ever according to 3Camels. good for the growing age of data (photo, video, security cameras, etc).
----------To RFDers: think before you buy ^_^ --------------------------
WD Purple drives are recommended for surveillance... upvoted, thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1537 posts
1377 upvotes
Alberta
Also on sale for the same price at Memory Express, and $10 more at Newegg and Canada Computers...
Aug 17, 2012
249 posts
135 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Not familiar with hard drives, but any issues using this as an internal PC hard drive rather than a RAID?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3028 posts
499 upvotes
Water loo
VillageIdiot wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 9:38 am
Not familiar with hard drives, but any issues using this as an internal PC hard drive rather than a RAID?
Starting with 8TB drives - the mounting holes are different for these larger drives. Beware if you have some kind of older style brackets.
I had some issues putting some 8tb drives into my nas box.
Aug 17, 2012
249 posts
135 upvotes
COQUITLAM
rilles wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 9:46 am
Starting with 8TB drives - the mounting holes are different for these larger drives. Beware if you have some kind of older style brackets.
I had some issues putting some 8tb drives into my nas box.
I've got the type of mounting brackets where you attach to the sides of the hard drive then just slide it into the HD port in the PC tower.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3028 posts
499 upvotes
Water loo
VillageIdiot wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 9:52 am
I've got the type of mounting brackets where you attach to the sides of the hard drive then just slide it into the HD port in the PC tower.

vs
Last edited by rilles on Jun 16th, 2019 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2148 posts
423 upvotes
rilles wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 9:55 am
May not fit.

LOL I had to use 3m thick double sided tape on mine to reduce vibration. I'm using a fractal Design r2 midi case. What ever it works!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10645 posts
10733 upvotes
Folks wondering why this monster instead of cloud everything in 2019?

Because, what used to be paranoia in 2016, is now prudence in 2019. Between malicious third parties compromising your cloud data, selling you ads on your content, and threatening loss of your data due to a billing issue... I'll take primary local storage, or at least a local storage backup of cloud data.

OneDrive works this way (local and cloud storage) thankfully, as well as a few other services.
Oct 24, 2003
866 posts
297 upvotes
North York
Same price at Newegg with promo code:

CEMCPVET24

This is from their "Better than a Tie" promo. Expires June 20th.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2259 posts
1222 upvotes
North York
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:12 am
Folks wondering why this monster instead of cloud everything in 2019?

Because, what used to be paranoia in 2016, is now prudence in 2019. Between malicious third parties compromising your cloud data, selling you ads on your content, and threatening loss of your data due to a billing issue... I'll take primary local storage, or at least a local storage backup of cloud data.

OneDrive works this way (local and cloud storage) thankfully, as well as a few other services.
This HDD clearly isnt for you then, theres a couple issues with the cloud.

1. Maybe you dont want to store sensitive data in the cloud (Home made videos?)
2. I have roughly 30TB of media thats connected to a plex server, this wouldnt work on the cloud
3. Storing TB's of data on the cloud is expensive and it only gets more expensive as time goes on
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10645 posts
10733 upvotes
KiraSensei wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:54 am
This HDD clearly isnt for you then, theres a couple issues with the cloud.

1. Maybe you dont want to store sensitive data in the cloud (Home made videos?)
2. I have roughly 30TB of media thats connected to a plex server, this wouldnt work on the cloud
3. Storing TB's of data on the cloud is expensive and it only gets more expensive as time goes on
I think you're confusing my point. This drive is a great option for me, when the price is right, because it affords more space than most reasonably priced cloud solution. It's private, and despite the risks of being local, a certain portion of the drive can safely reside in duplicate on the cloud (e.g. OneCloud subscription through Office 365).

FYI, the only videos of note I have are promotional or marketing-related, they're private insofar as they're primary source content re-used/re-cut/re-jigged for a variety of related purposes.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1077 posts
431 upvotes
I currently have a 2 bay ?DLink? NAS. I bought 2 4tb red back then, but they are full now. At the time I was concerned with hardware raid possibly failing on the NAS and not being able to recover unless I bought the exact same model again, so I formatted as JBOD and wrote a bunch of scripts to run manually whenever I want to mirror changed data.

I'll likely remove 1 drive and keep it as backup, get a larger drive, copy all the data to it, and reformat the other smaller drive still installed, in order to back up any new data to it using the large drive as a container for all.

10tb installed - all data
4tb installed - only new data from today on
4tb removed - all old data up until today

Should I be looking at something other than reds?

Usage is supporting a backup of my "data" folder (XLS, doc, etc. Important custom files), pictures, videos, and Plex movies.