• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 5:07 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2017
31 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.com] Wemo WiFi Smart Dimmer - Save $40 - Amazon USA

I've been waiting for the Wemo Wifi Smart Dimmer to go one sale in Canada and I'm getting impatient. Noticed they are on sale in the USA right now through Amazon.com.

Walmart Canada sells at $120+tax vs Amazon.com at 64.99 USD ($80 CAD) -

Wemo Mini Smart plug is also on sale at $29.99 USD.

Looks like $8 USD shipping to my home in Ontario.
Images
  • Wemo.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 18th, 2017 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: short links and referrals are not allowed
30 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2557 posts
1987 upvotes
Clarington
Why is it so expensive compared to other smart dimmers?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2457 posts
1710 upvotes
North York
Bawler wrote: Why is it so expensive compared to other smart dimmers?

Like?

Edit: Didnt realize this was in USD + import charges. Thought it was Amazon Canada...
Last edited by KiraSensei on Sep 18th, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 24, 2011
42 posts
66 upvotes
I think why this is more expensive is that it doesn't need a hub to connect like others.

I have a Lutron Caséta dimmer and it needs a hub to work with the rest of my devices (e.g google home)

This, like other wemo devices acts as a stand alone device to connect to other devices without needing a hub. You may want to compare this to a TP-link wall switch however I don't believe those have dimmers in them, they are simply on/off.
"So thats basically the same concept as the monkeys and the typewriters?"
"...except CRAZIER"
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1324 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto :)
Bawler wrote: All of them?
I have a wemo dimmer switch installed in my room and it works very well (no need for hub). Only downside is that the lowest amount of dim isn't actually that dim (ie. setting it to 1% brightness, isnt actually THAT dim). Not sure how it compares to other dimmer switches though because I've never used other ones before.
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2557 posts
1987 upvotes
Clarington
pagzamaphone wrote: I think why this is more expensive is that it doesn't need a hub to connect like others.

I have a Lutron Caséta dimmer and it needs a hub to work with the rest of my devices (e.g google home)

This, like other wemo devices acts as a stand alone device to connect to other devices without needing a hub. You may want to compare this to a TP-link wall switch however I don't believe those have dimmers in them, they are simply on/off.
That makes sense to me I guess Grinning Face. It's just strange that the regular price of the switch is a higher price than lutron caseta bundle gateway and dimmer
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6365 posts
1001 upvotes
I'm not sure not needing a hub is a big advantage. Most people installing these dimmers are the ones adopting smart home technology. In other words, they should have a hub for controlling other things.
Feb 22, 2009
660 posts
338 upvotes
Ottawa
Leviton Wifi (no hub) smart dimmer $58.47 free shipping from Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-DW1KD-1BZ ... SBN1V?th=1

Can also set the load to 600W for incandescent or 300W for LED which should address LED bulbs not going dim enough.

As with all smart dimmers, requires neutral wire.

Controlled via "My Leviton" app.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2622 posts
1102 upvotes
Mississauga
stevewk wrote: Leviton Wifi (no hub) smart dimmer $58.47 free shipping from Amazon.ca:

Can also set the load to 600W for incandescent or 300W for LED which should address LED bulbs not going dim enough.

Leviton Wifi is also 3-way compatible. Wemo is not
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1153 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
golden wrote: I'm not sure not needing a hub is a big advantage. Most people installing these dimmers are the ones adopting smart home technology. In other words, they should have a hub for controlling other things.
I think not needing a hub is a huge advantage. If you have all of your smart devices connected to a hub, that's a single point of failure. Nothing will work if that hub crashes.

Whereas if you have non hub reliant devices, if something fails, you can still use all of your other devices without any issues either through a central control like Alexa or Google Home or if that fails through the individual device's application.

I find hubs also cause configuration and communication problems on occasion. One less networked device to troubleshoot is always a good thing.
Nov 17, 2012
411 posts
140 upvotes
Le Gardeur
stevewk wrote: Leviton Wifi (no hub) smart dimmer $58.47 free shipping from Amazon.ca:

Did you use these leviton dimmers in your house ? How do you use them ? You can run a schedule for on/off ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34475 posts
20498 upvotes
Center of Universe
amkorp wrote: I think not needing a hub is a huge advantage. If you have all of your smart devices connected to a hub, that's a single point of failure. Nothing will work if that hub crashes.

Whereas if you have non hub reliant devices, if something fails, you can still use all of your other devices without any issues either through a central control like Alexa or Google Home or if that fails through the individual device's application.

I find hubs also cause configuration and communication problems on occasion. One less networked device to troubleshoot is always a good thing.
If you're specifically speaking about light switches and dimmers only, yes, I agree.
Once you add other devices, you're going to have a hell of a hard time opening and closing multiple apps for the different devices; on a daily basis.

Ex: my home automation setup consists of a garage door, door lock, sensors and hvac all controlled via ST; otherwise it is 4 different apps!
Feb 22, 2009
660 posts
338 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: If you're specifically speaking about light switches and dimmers only, yes, I agree.
Once you add other devices, you're going to have a hell of a hard time opening and closing multiple apps for the different devices; on a daily basis.

Ex: my home automation setup consists of a garage door, door lock, sensors and hvac all controlled via ST; otherwise it is 4 different apps!
Leviton are IFTTT compatible as well as Amazon Alexa and Google Home so they aren't completely cut off from home automation.

Yes, if your smart home is already built on a foundation of Wink or Smartthings then this probably isn't for you, but if you're just getting started it's a simple point of entry.

http://www.leviton.com/en/news/press-re ... ntegration