[Amazon.com] Windows mixed reality (AR/VR) headsets

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 9:41 am
[OP]
Jun 10, 2011
610 posts
560 upvotes

[Amazon.com] Windows mixed reality (AR/VR) headsets

Price goes from $199.99 to $246 + about $40 for Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Canada.

HP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MF8TQ7 ($199.00/50%)
Lenovo Explorer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764GKZ15/ ($246/ ~45%)
ACER AH101: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PVLN2P ($219/~45%)

Credit goes to Win2Xbox for findind/posting this deal on build a pc sales canada
14 replies
Dec 29, 2003
653 posts
313 upvotes
Montreal
Price is in US dollars
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1243 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Must be headsets that sold off from that Microsoft Laptop deal
Dec 28, 2011
493 posts
412 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
If it was a Samsung HMD for that price this might be a steal, but not for these.
May 24, 2007
323 posts
96 upvotes
British Columbia
ExplodingFist wrote: If it was a Samsung HMD for that price this might be a steal, but not for these.
I have the Acer one and it's pretty damn good. I also have a Vive.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1865 posts
345 upvotes
Kitchener
dvdvideo wrote: For me it's no screen door or bust.....it shatters the whole illusion
Screen door meaning you can see the pixels?
Jan 8, 2006
833 posts
170 upvotes
X-Nemesis wrote: Screen door meaning you can see the pixels?
sorta. google "screen door effect". its being able to see the lines in between pixel, similar to if you were looking outside through a screen door. Even monitors can suffer from this but some people may be more sensitive to it than others.
Oct 22, 2011
217 posts
296 upvotes
Yup. Don't bother with these. The Samsung has better screens. I can barely notice the screen door on that. But these lower ones and the vive I can definitely tell. I have the Odyssey and am happy.. waiting on vive pro. Downside of Odyssey is that it's cables are too short.. it's sensitive to extensions too. Best used seated
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2656 posts
853 upvotes
Chatham
Screendoor link
What IS the Screen-Door Effect (SDE)?

Put simply, the Screen-Door Effect describes how visible the gaps between individual pixels appear to be when viewing a display at a close proximity. At regular TV viewing distances, SDE isn’t a concern at all. Most of the discussion comes down to image resolution, or how many pixels can fit on the display in total. This is why 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 4k are prominent terms in our everyday vocabulary now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6016 posts
434 upvotes
Calgary
survsteve wrote: Yup. Don't bother with these. The Samsung has better screens. I can barely notice the screen door on that. But these lower ones and the vive I can definitely tell. I have the Odyssey and am happy.. waiting on vive pro. Downside of Odyssey is that it's cables are too short.. it's sensitive to extensions too. Best used seated
ya the Odyssey is really nice, i like it better than the vive after using both. tracking on the vive is better but since I'm using these for 3d visualization projects that's not an issue for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1865 posts
345 upvotes
Kitchener
jamex wrote: sorta. google "screen door effect". its being able to see the lines in between pixel, similar to if you were looking outside through a screen door. Even monitors can suffer from this but some people may be more sensitive to it than others.
Well that, as you said, would definitely defeat the purpose of a VR headset, in regards to believable immersion.
Dec 7, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
SDE is very low, you don't really notice it except if you're standing still looking for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2720 posts
2355 upvotes
Technoking
Pron compatible?
To the moon