Yamaha YAS107 Soundbar ~$270 CAD shipped

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2018 11:50 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1939 posts
354 upvotes
Winterpeg
bbcspaceman wrote: Thanks for this! Instead I am using code WINTER20 and getting a full 20% off (no $20 cap), so $107.99 USD all in delivered to Blaine.

Shopping portal with free US shipping. Ties into your shopping list and Google Assistant.

Costco memberships are international. The Google Express and Costco US websites both take my Costco Canada membership number.

i tried to enter WINTER20 at costco.com during payout but its telling me that code is invalid. how do you enter the code or where?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1939 posts
354 upvotes
Winterpeg
nvm
i was able to find it. you need to go to google express website. however yamaha is already out of stock there but still available in costco.com

:(
Oct 25, 2010
177 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh, must be based on location and local stock availability. I’m using a Washington address.
Sep 23, 2007
273 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
vancdeals wrote: I had to google around on this earlier and it seems like the Costco one's firmware was not upgradeable.. other than that it is the same..
With such a price difference it might be worth it..
I happened to be in Bellingham on Sunday and picked one up.

You have to make sure it shows the DTS Virtual X symbol on the box and then you are good to go, on it being updated fully.

I originally bought the Bose Solo 5 but found it didn't have a rich mix. It had crystal clear vocals but light mids and no bass. So, I returned it and bought that Polk audio surround sound with the wireless sub and rears. I returned that because the rears kept losing connection and the voices in movies were very quiet.

This Yamaha ats1070 is amazing. I paid 119 USD and it is worth every penny. Great voice clarity, solid mix from all levels, and the open bass port actually makes it rumble the room. Not low low bass but that punch. It also works great for streaming music from my phone.

The room we have it in is 18 x 20 and it fills the room wholly during a movie. We can't even turn it up all the way because it gets to loud.

I would definitely recommend.

I may go back this weekend and grab one for the bedroom.
Aug 21, 2005
611 posts
91 upvotes
Vancouver
maskedrolla wrote: I happened to be in Bellingham on Sunday and picked one up.

You have to make sure it shows the DTS Virtual X symbol on the box and then you are good to go, on it being updated fully.

I originally bought the Bose Solo 5 but found it didn't have a rich mix. It had crystal clear vocals but light mids and no bass. So, I returned it and bought that Polk audio surround sound with the wireless sub and rears. I returned that because the rears kept losing connection and the voices in movies were very quiet.

This Yamaha ats1070 is amazing. I paid 119 USD and it is worth every penny. Great voice clarity, solid mix from all levels, and the open bass port actually makes it rumble the room. Not low low bass but that punch. It also works great for streaming music from my phone.

The room we have it in is 18 x 20 and it fills the room wholly during a movie. We can't even turn it up all the way because it gets to loud.

unbeatable for 120usd...(or less if you used google express!)
Oct 19, 2009
503 posts
499 upvotes
toronto
Is 107 basically 106 but more expensive?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4039 posts
786 upvotes
Windsor
Does it need to be wall mounted like in the photo for the best sound? What if you just place it on its back with the drivers presumably firing upwards?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2202 posts
1298 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
eforblue wrote: Is 107 basically 106 but more expensive?
Virtual X support is the big one.
Oct 25, 2010
177 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
eforblue wrote: Is 107 basically 106 but more expensive?
While the configuration might look the same as the YAS-106, Yamaha told me it offers several improvements over the previous generation. The drivers are a new design, as is the amp. The internal cabinet has also been redesigned. Yamaha says that these incremental improvements contributed to the YAS-107’s improved midrange and clearer dialog.

Yamaha informed me that the YAS-107 will be among the first soundbars to add DTS Virtual:X. DTS Virtual:X is a technology that uses digital signal processing and psychoacoustic techniques to simulate an object-oriented audio experience in which sounds have height characteristics, even though there are no height or rear surround speakers available.

https://www.techhive.com/article/322204 ... eview.html
Oct 25, 2010
177 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
G77 wrote: Does it need to be wall mounted like in the photo for the best sound? What if you just place it on its back with the drivers presumably firing upwards?
Wall or table top is fine, unit auto adjusts sound based on orientation.
Oct 25, 2010
177 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
maskedrolla wrote: I happened to be in Bellingham on Sunday and picked one up.

At full price the Yammy sells at par with the Bose Solo... I also think that it performs better and offers HDMI pass though (with ARC and CEC) and the new DTS Virtual X processing. At this steal price of $108-130 USD it is unbeatable. BTW, my Google Express order was the latest model, no firmware update required.

This unit is amazing! The vocal clarity is excellent, dialogue is very clear on all shows and movies tested. Great performance and range at all levels, I'm really surprised by the amount of bass this thing puts out without a separate subwoofer. It's not going to rumble the studs but it sounds good, performs well, and keeps the neighbours happy. Music performance is better than expected when in stereo mode but I will use my HK Onyx Studio instead. At first go I didn't care much for the way DTS Virtual X processes some sound effects, a few days in I am liking it and am impressed by the way it opens up the sound stage on all content.

My current settings... DTS Virtual X - ON, Clear Voice - OFF, Bass Extension - ON, Subwoofer Level - Lowest
Jul 17, 2011
108 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
bbcspaceman wrote: At full price the Yammy sells at par with the Bose Solo... I also think that it performs better and offers HDMI pass though (with ARC and CEC) and the new DTS Virtual X processing. At this steal price of $108-130 USD it is unbeatable. BTW, my Google Express order was the latest model, no firmware update required.

This unit is amazing! The vocal clarity is excellent, dialogue is very clear on all shows and movies tested. Great performance and range at all levels, I'm really surprised by the amount of bass this thing puts out without a separate subwoofer. It's not going to rumble the studs but it sounds good, performs well, and keeps the neighbours happy. Music performance is better than expected when in stereo mode but I will use my HK Onyx Studio instead. At first go I didn't care much for the way DTS Virtual X processes some sound effects, a few days in I am liking it and am impressed by the way it opens up the sound stage on all content.

My current settings... DTS Virtual X - ON, Clear Voice - OFF, Bass Extension - ON, Subwoofer Level - Lowest
for your google express order, Did you pickup at the border or did you send it here to canada. What service did you use? crossborder pickup? cbsi?
Oct 25, 2010
177 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
Shipped to a package receiving service in Blaine, WA.