24364 posts
31282 upvotes

Amazon Fire HD 10 (2021) Tablet Resources, Tweaks, Tips, and Tricks Thread

DEAL THREADS
amazon-fire-tablets-hd-8-74-99-94-99-hd ... n-2485821/

amazon-ca-fire-hd-10-2021-159-99-prime- ... s-2479171/

APPENDIX

Fire Toolbox: Must Have for Most RFDers

Version 20.0 - Installer (.exe) - Portable (.zip)

XDA Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/wind ... 0.3889604/

Life couldn't be easier with this Toolbox. This Fire HD has the greatest Android tablet community support by far.
Amazon Sister Tablets

Fire HD 10 (2021): Video Review
apple777 wrote:
Surprisingly snappy. Nice screen, upgraded over last generation screen.

Certified Widevine Level 1, supporting Full HD across streaming services (up to 1080p60). Dual speakers with Dolby Atmos.

Decent gaming tablet, which I would've doubted.

Previewed Games
Minecraft - Smooth up to 12 blocks.
PUBG - 30+ FPS at Low
Genshin Impact - Intermittent Choppiness
Dreamcast Emulator - 60 FPS Locked
N64 Emulator - Pretty Smooth
PSP Emulator - Pretty Smooth
GameCube Emulator - Somewhat Choppy

Productivity Keyboard Case Accessory
redflagdealsguy wrote: This looks like the OEM case, which Fintie licensed to Amazon.

(Aspect Ratio is off due to resizing, actual tablet is wider.)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08SB72Q8F

That is to say, this is the same case as the Amazon Productivity bundle case.

Two Step Purchase
1) Buy the Amazon Fire HD 10 from Staples.ca for $149.99 CAD after coupon.
2) Buy the Amazon OEM Keyboard Case for $62.99 CAD.

Separate Total Purchase Cost: $212.98 CAD + HST

Versus

Productivity Bundle Cost: $279.98 CAD + HST

Savings: $67.00 CAD + HST

And yes, the separate keyboard is Prime fulfilled with their bulletproof return policy.
Other Accessories
redflagdealsguy wrote: Best Portable Pocketable Mouse for Tablet:

Logitech M355 (BT & 2.4Ghz) - $29.99 CAD (On Sale from $39.99 CAD)
https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Portable ... 084SX7HKB/

Source Ranking: https://www.androidcentral.com/best-mou ... id-tablets
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can the Fire HD 10 cast Netflix to a Chromecast-connected TV?

Yes, with a few steps.

Sideload Google Play store, one way is by installing Google Services through the Fire Toolbox above, follow the video instructions. Another way is by downloading the Google Play store directly from APKMirror (Google the website).

Download the Google Play version of Netflix and install, now you can cast.

Can this do everything a regular tablet can do?

Yes, essentially. You must use the Fire Toolbox linked above and follow the video, but the result is essentially an open and freely-usable tablet. It's not rooted, but for most functions, that's not required.

Can this serve as a laptop replacement?

Yes, it can. Buy the Fire HD 10 from Staples for $134.99 and the Amazon Fintie OEM Keyboard case for $62.99, and you have a basic laptop replacement for $197.98 CAD. You can't find that level of functionality and flexibility on a Chromebook near that price point.

Add a bluetooth or dongled USB mouse and you have the full laptop replacement experience.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Aug 27th, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5111 posts
8307 upvotes
BC
Thanks for all the resources rfdguy. I pulled the trigger on the HD 10 and keyboard case.

Any recommendations for a 128gb/256gb microsd? Won't be putting anything important on it, just media (can we download Netflix or other streaming shows/movies onto the microsd?)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24364 posts
31282 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: Thanks for all the resources rfdguy. I pulled the trigger on the HD 10 and keyboard case.

Any recommendations for a 128gb/256gb microsd? Won't be putting anything important on it, just media (can we download Netflix or other streaming shows/movies onto the microsd?)
If you don't fear Amazon inventory, and I don't fear Amazon inventory, see below.

128GB
Sandisk Ultra - $23.39
Sandisk Extreme - $31.50

256GB
Sandisk Ultra -$44.99
Sandisk Extreme - $54.99

The Extreme might be worth a few more dollars.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6130 posts
1980 upvotes
Scarborough
Interested to see the potential of this tablet. I don't think I'll be getting it, but I'm curious to see what a dedicated team of developers working on these devices can unlock
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7563 posts
8144 upvotes
Vancouver
redflagdealsguy wrote: Sideload Google Play store, one way is by installing Google Services through the Fire Toolbox above, follow the video instructions. Another way is by downloading the Google Play store directly from APKMirror (Google the website).
You actually need to install 4 files to get the Google Play Store working with full Google services, which is why it's easier to do it with the Fire Toolbox to make sure you get compatible versions. But once you do that, the Google Play Store works fine, and most apps are compatible aside from minor quirks with FireOS (like notifications not working).

A word of warning about expanding app memory with a microSD card: Amazon allows this up to the latest version of FireOS 7 (based on Android 9), with the usual caveats: it's much slower than internal RAM, and once the card is formatted to be used as internal memory, it can't be removed without screwing up FireOS, and it can't be read by other devices. But as of Android 10 Google eliminated using microSD cards for internal memory expansion because it was too problematic, and microSD cards are now limited to app data storage only. It's worse in Android 11 - Google adopted the iOS policy of allowing apps to see only their own data on the microSD card for security reasons. So if you hope to update to future OS versions, you might not want to go down the path of relying on internal memory expansion via microSD.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24364 posts
31282 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You actually need to install 4 files to get the Google Play Store working with full Google services, which is why it's easier to do it with the Fire Toolbox to make sure you get compatible versions. But once you do that, the Google Play Store works fine, and most apps are compatible aside from minor quirks with FireOS (like notifications not working).

A word of warning about expanding app memory with a microSD card: Amazon allows this up to the latest version of FireOS 7 (based on Android 9), with the usual caveats: it's much slower than internal RAM, and once the card is formatted to be used as internal memory, it can't be removed without screwing up FireOS, and it can't be read by other devices. But as of Android 10 Google eliminated using microSD cards for internal memory expansion because it was too problematic, and microSD cards are now limited to app data storage only. It's worse in Android 11 - Google adopted the iOS policy of allowing apps to see only their own data on the microSD card for security reasons. So if you hope to update to future OS versions, you might not want to go down the path of relying on internal memory expansion via microSD.
This weirdly makes the Fire HD 10 2021 a better option than some Android 11 tablets, if we're only looking at this feature they've since removed in later builds.

Thanks for sharing.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12833 posts
1889 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the Fire HD 10 Plus, which has more RAM, isn't sold here in Canada, yet. I might wait for that, but $144 is a good price for a basic tablet.

The Fire Toolbox seems very easy to use. A lot more streamlined than trying to get LineageOS working on my Nexus 7 back in the day. I still curse Google for ditching the Nexus lineup.
Deal with it.
Sep 6, 2011
491 posts
135 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks OP, just received my Fire HD10 and will work on it with fire toolbox soon!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24364 posts
31282 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: Looks like the Fire HD 10 Plus, which has more RAM, isn't sold here in Canada, yet. I might wait for that, but $144 is a good price for a basic tablet.

The Fire Toolbox seems very easy to use. A lot more streamlined than trying to get LineageOS working on my Nexus 7 back in the day. I still curse Google for ditching the Nexus lineup.
I would say that 3GB is enough for an Android tablet platform, for most users.

If you're going to wait for a 4GB unit, you might as well wait for the 2022 offering with a CPU upgrade to support that.

Meanwhile, this is the right price at the right time.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24364 posts
31282 upvotes
The Fire HD 8 is permanently mounted next to my 55" OLED PC Monitor, operating in Show mode for Alexa.

Alexa is much better than Google Assistant, credit to her.

My powerhouse tablet remains the Fire HD 10, but the 8 provides a useful niche.
Sep 1, 2008
551 posts
1260 upvotes
Thanks OP for the awesome thread as well as the helpful follow-up posts. Just ordered the Fintie keyboard case combo. Will see how it goes. Some reviewers complained about the lack of battery status on the keyboard. I wonder how annoying it'd be.

As for the mouse, I'd have to disagree with your suggestion. The Logitech Pebble is thin but not really small (59x107x26mm). Its length & width are actually larger than many mobile mice out there. It actually has similar dimensions to the Lenovo 600 mouse (58x107x29mm), which is half the price. The main difference is Dual BT vs USB+BT. And the Logitech seems to have "rough gliding" issues according to some reviews.
Lenovo 600 Bluetooth Silent Mouse ($20)
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... GY50X88832
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/333660708946
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... e/15342042
Microsoft 3600 Bluetooth BlueTrack Mobile Mouse ($20) - shorter at 57x95x40mm
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mi ... 2/10393984

Logitech Pebble M350 Mouse Review
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/lo ... ebble-m350
Sep 1, 2008
551 posts
1260 upvotes
For those who want a small portable mouse to go with your tablet, the Logitech Wireless Mini Mouse M187 is on sale at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0093H4XG8/
Logitech Wireless Mini Mouse M187 - Black
Product Dimensions ‎3.18 x 8.18 x 4.93 cm; 51.03 Grams
Price: $14.98
You Save: $4.40 (23%)

EDIT: Sorry. Not Bluetooth. Can't be used with tablet without some adapter.
Last edited by Badder on Oct 13th, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5111 posts
8307 upvotes
BC
Badder wrote: For those who want a small portable mouse to go with your tablet, the Logitech Wireless Mini Mouse M187 is on sale at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0093H4XG8/
Logitech Wireless Mini Mouse M187 - Black
Product Dimensions ‎3.18 x 8.18 x 4.93 cm; 51.03 Grams
Price: $14.98
You Save: $4.40 (23%)
That one uses a dongle, not Bluetooth. Won't work unfortunately.
Sep 1, 2008
551 posts
1260 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: That one uses a dongle, not Bluetooth. Won't work unfortunately.
Sorry. You're right. I'll correct my post. Thanks.
Apr 26, 2010
152 posts
51 upvotes
What's the battery life ? My fire tablet 10 from 2019 always dies. I have to shut it down every night or else it's dead in 3hrs.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23456 posts
5495 upvotes
Toronto
northernwarrior wrote: What's the battery life ? My fire tablet 10 from 2019 always dies. I have to shut it down every night or else it's dead in 3hrs.
Weird, I have the same Fire HD10 tablet from 2019 and mine lasts a few days.

I normally stream cp24 in the morning & evenings….about 30mins each time?

But after that, it just sits there on standby mode?

Lasts at least 2 to 3 days with my uses above

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8685 posts
4922 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hightech wrote: Any deals on the Fire HD 10 inch tablet now?
They regularly have 2 for $150ish USD in US... here they did have the 64gb version for same discounted price as 32gb earlier this summer.

If going to US by road [borders open Nov 8] then that's an option... also black friday sales here and in US late November.

Some credit cards have 90 day price protection so that's another option.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Dec 24, 2010
400 posts
267 upvotes
Montreal
redflagdealsguy wrote: The Fire HD 8 is permanently mounted next to my 55" OLED PC Monitor, operating in Show mode for Alexa.

Alexa is much better than Google Assistant, credit to her.

My powerhouse tablet remains the Fire HD 10, but the 8 provides a useful niche.
I bought a fire HD10 64Gb end Sept 2021 and am now contemplating buying HD8.
I used firetoolbox to install google play and google assistant and Nova launcher on HD10.
I would like to know can i use Alexa in show mode on HD10 now or is it taken over by Google? It says my microphone is used by google.
When you say you operate HD8 permanently in showmode, did you installed google pay via firetoolbox? Is the Google play store independent of Alexa and wont interfere?

Thanks for any guidance