Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet - 9th Generation - $154.99/$194.99 32GB/64GB

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 6:45 pm
[OP]
Jan 19, 2021
11 posts
121 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet - 9th Generation - $154.99/$194.99 32GB/64GB

Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet - 9th Generation (it's the latest gen for this model)

$154.99 - 32GB
$194.99 - 64GB
24 replies
Mar 17, 2018
36 posts
51 upvotes
32GB black and white models available. Decent deal according to price tracker (lowest has been $149.99)...
Dec 9, 2001
358 posts
123 upvotes
Scarborough
Bought a couple of these for the family last year, and they are great Android Tablets for the price.

Has a great vivid display, expandable memory, stereo speakers and USB-C! Can easily sideload Google Play store to install most Android apps. Plus if you want to remove most of the Amazon apps, run Amazon Fire Toolbox. (just Google for lots of online tutorials)

At this price, can highly recommend!

Specs:
10.1" 1080p full HD display; 32 or 64 GB of internal storage (add up to 512 GB with microSD)
Now 30% faster thanks to the new 2.0 GHz octa-core processor and 2 GB of RAM
Longer battery life—Up to 12 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching video, and listening to music
2 MP front and rear-facing cameras with 720p HD video recording
Dual-band, enhanced Wi-Fi
Now with USB-C and faster charging. Includes a USB-C cable & 9W power adapter in the box.
1-year limited warranty
Images
  • Fire_HD_10.png
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1929 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Would anyone know if by adding the Google Play store that the Echelon app works and syncs properly to the bike ?

Cheers and thanks
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Aug 18, 2007
250 posts
89 upvotes
how does it compares with the recent 10" M10 Lenovo deal
Dec 9, 2001
358 posts
123 upvotes
Scarborough
badass wrote: Would anyone know if by adding the Google Play store that the Echelon app works and syncs properly to the bike ?

Cheers and thanks
Yes, i've added the Google Play Store to mine, and downloaded the Echelon app, and it's been working well for me Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 9, 2001
358 posts
123 upvotes
Scarborough
The 64GB version is also $45 off. Link here

However, it's not as good a value, as you can easily add a cheap 128/256gb MicroSD card to the 32GB model for $20-$35.
Jul 31, 2018
123 posts
88 upvotes
The Fire HD10 is great value... My mom loves her's.
Just limited in ram of only 2GB built-in. Good for basic and general media consumption... surfing the net or youtube.

For slightly more at $204... I got a set of Lenovo M10 smart tablets for each of my young kids... comes with 4GB of ram, dock and 64GB.. The extra ram helps with some apps and slightly better future proofing with more rams..

Lenovo Smart Tab M10 FHD, 10.3" FHD IPS Touch 330 nits, 4GB, 64GB
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-Smart-Ta ... SwNcBfYjiZ
Nov 16, 2010
40 posts
9 upvotes
asianraver wrote: The 64GB version is also $45 off. Link here

However, it's not as good a value, as you can easily add a cheap 128/256gb MicroSD card to the 32GB model for $20-$35.
Hard disagree. If there's even a sliver of a chance that a user might end up installing more than 26GB (actual available storage on a 32GB model) of apps, I would suggest springing for the 64GB without hesitation. Adopting an SD card so that it can be used as internal storage on an Android device sucks: not only does the card become encrypted to the specific device and unmountable on any other device unless you reformat it, but transfer speeds are noticeably slower than the device's native internal storage. You also can't manually manage the adopted storage. Only apps that have the appropriate flag can be installed on adopted storage and should you have the misfortune of having the SD card fail on you, enjoy trying to recover any files that were on there.
M. (THG)
Aug 9, 2008
514 posts
286 upvotes
Thanks OP! In for 1 for my 6yr olds webex classes (his fire 8 was too small) and got a new fire 8 as well for my younger son
Dec 26, 2012
833 posts
622 upvotes
Quebec
Bought 2 last year for 125$ each at staples and cleaned them up with FireTool. These are great little tablets.
Apr 29, 2001
236 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
Tried both a few months ago and kept the Fire HD 10.

Unless things changed recently, Lenovo's latest tablets won't play Netflix in Full HD (they don't have the right DRM level), so if you're using it for media consumption, Amazon's is much better.
And it's pretty fast in general considering the price. Just wish it was a little less bulky but still, worth every penny at this low price.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1424 posts
4079 upvotes
Calgary, AB
badass wrote: Would anyone know if by adding the Google Play store that the Echelon app works and syncs properly to the bike ?
You could also sideload the Echelon Fit App and it works, if you don't want to install Google Play Services.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1929 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you both for the Echelon update.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14310 posts
4029 upvotes
Scarberia
Do these have Alexa show mode? Ie works when u say show me the camera and it displays it? Tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5949 posts
1283 upvotes
Montreal
mikka2017 wrote: Do these have Alexa show mode? Ie works when u say show me the camera and it displays it? Tia
Show mode is supposed to mimic an Echo Show terminal. In practice, there are a few limitations such as you need to have your tablet associated with amazon.com rather than .ca. I actually use my tablet in show mode and bought a show mode charging dock so that it could work automatically. It works for the most part but it's a bit finicky.

As for showing a camera, you actually don't have to be in show mode. Alexa is always listening so giving it a command will turn on any camera that's compatible with Alexa. In other words, don't expect a Nest camera to work with it.
Phils
Sep 21, 2019
314 posts
210 upvotes
use fire tool from xda to disable everything amazon and install play store. mine has been used like a regular android tablet. one caveat is that apps that uses google push cloud services such as pushbullet does not work. you can still open the apps to see any new messages.

the CPU in this tablet destroys tablets in the $300 price range. screen is great too.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2230 posts
873 upvotes
asianraver wrote: The 64GB version is also $45 off. Link here

Is there a way to use the add on SD for apps and stuff and not a storage. I couldn't figure it out how to do that.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4571 posts
4629 upvotes
Vancouver
Phils wrote: Show mode is supposed to mimic an Echo Show terminal. In practice, there are a few limitations such as you need to have your tablet associated with amazon.com rather than .ca. I actually use my tablet in show mode and bought a show mode charging dock so that it could work automatically. It works for the most part but it's a bit finicky.

As for showing a camera, you actually don't have to be in show mode. Alexa is always listening so giving it a command will turn on any camera that's compatible with Alexa. In other words, don't expect a Nest camera to work with it.
I use Show Mode and hands-free Alexa too (both of which required linking to an amazon.com account). It's a great way to make use of the tablet when it's just sitting there not being used for other things. I have it running a background photo loop from my Amazon Photos account, and it shows things like the weather and news headlines.

A few extra notes:
- I can show my Ring doorbell camera on command, but it doesn't show automatically when someone rings the doorbell, and the tablet doesn't support "answer" the doorbell. That's actually pretty dumb.
- I was able to show my Wyze 2 cams for a while, but that function has been borked since the update to FireOS 7.3.1 a couple of months ago, no sign of when it will be fixed
- When you ask for a function that's supported by an app on the tablet (like a music streaming service), the tablet drops out of Show Mode and runs the app, unlike a real Echo Show. In that case there's no voice control.
- A nice feature of Show Mode is automatic screen activation when someone approaches (via camera motion detection). But it only works from 7am - 10pm, a fixed schedule that is not adjustable anywhere, a bit of an oversight by Amazon.
- When a system update is pending, the tablet starts dropping out of Show Mode frequently until the update is done. Then the above automatic screen activation stops working for 24 hours before it resumes normal operation. No explanation, but it happens that way consistently.