• Nov 27th, 2021 9:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1952 posts
1765 upvotes

Amazon Fire HD 8 & 10 Tablets - General Info & Tips

What is the Fire Toolbox?

The Fire Toolbox is a collection of useful ADB (Android Debug Bridge) tweaks that can be applied to Amazon's Fire Tablets. The Toolbox project aims to help users fully customize and unlock the full potential of their tablets by putting all the power into their hands.​

The Toolbox doesn't touch the system partition meaning all changes made can be reversed either through the tools/subtools themselves or through a factory reset. This means the Toolbox does NOT void your warranty.​

For a starter:

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISKS

To access Developer Option
Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet and tap on the Serial Number until you unlock Developer Options.

Amazon Bloatware Removal & Google Play Access
Using W10 computer, download and run Fire Toolbox
Make sure tablet is connected via usb to the computer.
Choose the menu etc

IMPORTANT
Before removing Amazon Launcher and Amazon Keyboard, you need to pre-install your preferred launcher (Nova launcher, Apex launcher) and keyboard FIRST
or at the prompt by Toolbox software to install from files.

Personally, I keep both Amazon launcher and KB together with the new launcher/kb installed via sideloading (see LauncherHijack below)

Details: Official LINK

To have a diferrent Launcher other than Amazon Launcher as default
Download latest LauncherHiijack apk
Open and install like any other Android application (if sideload, make sure " installation from unknown source" is on)
Open settings and navigate to "Accessibility -> To detect home button press" and press enable
If Launcher Hijack didn't open, find and open it
Select your desired Launcher from the list provided
Reboot your device

More details, Click LINK.

I recommended a free Andriod File Manager/Explorer, Mixplorer
Setup a connection as ftp server on tablet and use pc Filezille Client to transfer files between the two in the same network.

Offline Fire Tablet Software Updates
Download the relevant directly to your PC .
Copy to the Root directory of the device's internal storage.
Re-boot and it will do the rest.

CLICK LINK

You may need to run Fire Toolbox again since the software update "factory reset" the tablet.

NOTE:
Many thanks to rfders who have helped/provided info

Upsate 27th November 2021

DO NOT UPDATE to the latest FireOS 7.3.2.2

Version 25.2

Installer
Portable

UPDATE 4th November 2021

Version 25.0
Installer
Portable

Changelog:
  1. [Navigation Bar Modifier] Fixed a bug preventing the subtool from reading the current navigation bar layout correctly.
  2. [Navigation Bar Modifier] The custom icons will now autoload from the tablet so you don't have to rebrowse for your icons everytime you want to change up the navigation bar layout.
  3. [ADB Shell] Improved command entry - moved the path information from the textbox to a label beside the textbox.
  4. [System Backup] Removed depricated adb backup method.
  5. [System Backup] The tool can now backup all files/folders on the internal storage, database keys, and user installed apps.
  6. [System UI Customizer] Items in the list can now be moved up and down using the arrow keys.
  7. [Project] Updated the Toolbox's icon.
  8. [Play Services] Added the options to install Contacts and Calendar sync services along with Play Services.
  9. [Play Services] Improved the installation process.
  10. [Manage Amazon Apps] Fixed a crash that would occur when hiding apps on older gen devices.
  11. [Manage Amazon Apps] The manual simple subtool is now capable of reading and removing hidden apps from the apps list.
  12. [Manage Amazon Apps] When using the arrow keys to navigate the apps list, apps defined as not recommend to hide/disable can now be read by Narrator.
  13. [ADB] Updated to the latest version.
  14. [Custom Sounds] Fixed a bug causing the Toolbox to crash when attempting to playback the selected sound file.
  15. [YouTube Clients] Updated NewPipe, and Smart YouTube TV to the latest versions.

UPDATE 3rd OCT 2021

Version 24.0
Installer
Portable

UPDATE 13th SEPT 2021

Version 23.0
Installer
Portable

UPDATE 4 SEPT 2021

Amazon Toolbox V22.0
Installer
Portable

Developer's Webpage @datastream33

Debloat Lists
An Extended debloat list is designed to disable/hide packages the Toolbox currently doesn't support.​
Download Link
This extended debloat list is contributed by@Falcon342 and @maven33​

UPDATE 5 AUGUST 2021

Fire Toolbox V21.0
Installer
Portable

Update 29 July 2021

Fire Toolbox v20.0

Installer
Portable

*******************************************************************************************************************

Update 23 June 2021

Fire Toolbox v18.0

Installer
Portable

For those who are interested in Fire Tablet Software Updates through self service (without using amazon account) instead of using device auto-update feature.
Download the BIN file revelant to your tablet (>1gb) to your computer from Amazon and then transfer to your tablet etc ( Read this)
Click LINK Amazon Update webpage

For those who want to install a different launcher, you now need to install Launcher Hijack clone apk as Amazon 'blocks' the original apk.
Clone Download LINK

Update 29th May 2021

Fire Toolbox 17.0
Installer
Portable

Latest Update 24th March 2012

Fire Toolbox V13.0
Installer
Zip(Portable)

For more details, please kindly visit its developer's webpage by clicking LINK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 29 May 2020
From the developer 's website

How to properly setup drivers on Windows 8.1 and below

Before we get started you will need a few things:

1, Your tablet.
2. A computer with an internet connection.
3. USB Drivers from Google. LINK

Once you have the things listed above:
- Extract the contents of the zip file (Google_USB_Drivers.zip) to the Desktop.
- Enable ADB Debugging (or USB Debugging) from the Developer Options.
- Plug your tablet in (let Windows install the drivers if this is the first time you plugged your tablet into your PC).
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type "Device Manager" (without the quotes) and hit ENTER.-
- Once Device Manager is loaded expand the "Other" field if it isn't expanded already.
- Right-click the "Fire" label and select "Update Driver Software...".
- Then click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
- Then click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers in my computer".
- Select the "Show all devices" and click Next.
- Then hit the "Have Disk" button, and then click on the "Browse..." button.
- Click Desktop, double-click the "Google USB Drivers" folder, and select the "android_winusb.inf" file.
- Press the "Open" button, and then hit the "OK" button.
- Underneath "Model" select the "Android ADB Interface".
- Click "Next", and then click "Yes".
- If it asks you if you would like to install this device software click the "Install" button.
- Wait for it to finish installing the driver software and then once it succeeds press the "Close" button.
- Close out of Device Manager.

That should do it, the Toolbox should now be able to detect the device and push you through to the main menu. Enjoy!

UPDATE Version 11.0 13th January 2021

Download Links
Exe (Installer)
Portable
Last edited by imoo2u on Nov 27th, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 26 times in total.
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
124 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6906 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
imoo2u wrote: NOTE: I like to give thanks to rfders who have helped/provided info in various rfd threads.
Thanks for the helpful tips but I have to laugh at this.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2563 posts
975 upvotes
Calgary
konsensei wrote: Thanks for the helpful tips but I have to laugh at this.
Haha I never looked at my own and had to click to see where I was at.
Apr 4, 2017
574 posts
457 upvotes
Any tips for battery life? I have an HD8 (Love it) but the battery drains very fast on standby.
Jan 30, 2010
980 posts
424 upvotes
Canada
I tried the "remove everything amazon option" on the fire toolbox and it did not work well. I had problem with the tablets menus...couldn't access parental lock, change time zone etc. I tried it on both the 8 and 10 and each had problems with the menus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1952 posts
1765 upvotes
zoso454 wrote: I tried the "remove everything amazon option" on the fire toolbox and it did not work well. I had problem with the tablets menus...couldn't access parental lock, change time zone etc. I tried it on both the 8 and 10 and each had problems with the menus.
Amazon has its own android OS to run/work in Fire HD 8/10 tablets. By disabling its bloatware, one experiences certain setbacks.
Guess you better leave Amazon apps on your tablets if you wish to access parental lock, time zone change etc
Either you reset to factory stage or use 'restore everything Amazon' from the toolbox.
Then sideload google framework, services, manager and play store if you wish to install/update apps from Google eg youtube.
Also certain apps (non-amazon apks) need google services to work.

It is likely take care of in future updates of Amazon Fire toolbox app by its developers so just keep an eye on its website/page.
My life ambition is ....
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3787 posts
3325 upvotes
Markham
Any news to flash a third party OS to these tablets?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2544 posts
448 upvotes
I have a fire HD 10 and it's a bit faulty so they sent me a new one. I want to copy all my sideloaded apps to the new tablet. Is there a way to clone everything and transfer it over? I heard backup/restore doesn't work on third party installed apps and I can't even manually back it up. My son would be eternally grateful to someone who could direct me how to do that since he has hundreds of hours of played games installed! Thanks
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3787 posts
3325 upvotes
Markham
imoo2u wrote: For those who have Amazon Fire HD 8, 10 or both, please share your experiences, tips etc.

For a starter:

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISKS

To access Developer Option
Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet and tap on the Serial Number until you unlock Developer Options.

Amazon Bloatware Removal & Google Play Access
Using W10 computer, download and run Amazon Fire Toolbox v3.2
Make sure tablet is connected via usb to the computer.
Choose the menu etc

IMPORTANT
Before removing Amazon Launcher and Amazon Keyboard, you need to pre-install your preferred launcher (Nova launcher, Apex launcher) and keyboard FIRST
or at the prompt by Toolbox software to install from files.

Personally, I keep both Amazon launcher and KB together with the new launcher/kb installed via sideloading (see LauncherHijack below)

Details: Official LINK

To have a diferrent Launcher other than Amazon Launcher as default
Download latest LauncherHiijack apk
Open and install like any other Android application (if sideload, make sure " installation from unknown source" is on)
Open settings and navigate to "Accessibility -> To detect home button press" and press enable
If Launcher Hijack didn't open, find and open it
Select your desired Launcher from the list provided
Reboot your device

More details, Click LINK.

I recommended a free Andriod File Manager/Explorer, Mixplorer
Setup a connection as ftp server on tablet and use pc Filezille Client to transfer files between the two in the same network.

NOTE: I like to give thanks to rfders who have helped/provided info in various rfd threads.
I have googled and found these adb commands to unhide certain Amazon apps after you have hidden all of them:
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.webapp
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.otter
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle
adb shell pm unhide com.audible.application.kindle
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.tahoe
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.client.metrics
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.device.backup
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.platform
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.photos
adb shell pm unhide com.nuance.edr.androidservice.service
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.whisperlink.core.android
adb shell pm unhide com.goodreads.kindle
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.csapp [Help App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.venezia [Amazon App store]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.h2settingsfortablet
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.weather
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.personal_video
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.avod [Prime Video App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.windowshop
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.cloud9 [Silk browser app]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.ags.app [Amazon Game circle App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.mp3 [Amazon Music App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.photos.importer
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.zico
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.calculator
adb shell pm unhide com.android.calendar
adb shell pm unhide com.android.email
adb shell pm unhide com.android.contacts
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.camera
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.kso [Special Offers App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kor.provider.permission.READ_PROVIDER
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1952 posts
1765 upvotes
mtlboy wrote: I have a fire HD 10 and it's a bit faulty so they sent me a new one. I want to copy all my sideloaded apps to the new tablet. Is there a way to clone everything and transfer it over? I heard backup/restore doesn't work on third party installed apps and I can't even manually back it up. My son would be eternally grateful to someone who could direct me how to do that since he has hundreds of hours of played games installed! Thanks
1. Format a microsd card as an external storage in Fire HD 10
2. Safe remove and then copy apks from PC.
3. Return microsd to the tablet and install as you go etc.

OR

Install Mixplorer (freeware) and run as a server to transfer apks to your Fire from PC or tablet using FTP Client

Or

Download uploaded apks from your personal 'cloud' storage eg Goodle Drive, dropbox or OneDrive to your new Fire HD
.... My son would be eternally grateful to someone who could direct me how to do that since he has hundreds of hours of played games installed! Thanks
You need to find data (OBB) of apps in the old tablet and copy to the external storege (microsd),
Then transfer that OBB data to the same directory in new tablet after installing app(s) if you wish to continue from the point in your ptevoius (old) tablet.
My life ambition is ....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1952 posts
1765 upvotes
Anyone experiencing "POWER OFF" problem after using Amazon Toolkit on Fire HD 10?

HOLD DOWN Power Button for full 40 secounds to completely shutdown the device
My life ambition is ....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8839 posts
1318 upvotes
Friends don't let friends buy Fire HD8's. Maybe I've been spoiled with iPads, but the resolution is so bad that viewing it at night with low backlight is such a pain. HD10 is much better at that, but it suffers from being very bulky.

Only thing going for the Fire HD's are the price. And I'm a huge Amazon user as I have a show2, 2 spots, 3 echo dots 2nd gen, ring alarm, ring doorbell, 2 ring floodlights, 3 spotlights, 3 firestick 4k, 2 firesticks. But after trying out the hd8 and the 10, I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft poll. I was using my hd8 as a drink coaster on my bed, before I sold it to a co-worker (I warned him and let him try it before he bought it)
Jul 8, 2008
922 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know how to run/install Echo Show mode and Alexa in Canada?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3787 posts
3325 upvotes
Markham
drdtyc wrote: Any news to flash a third party OS to these tablets?
To answer my own question asked a year ago immediately after I first bought the Fire 10HD.

One needs to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP on one's Fire 10HD.
TWRP facilitates the flashing of any third party ROM.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd ... z-t3913639

Lineage 12.1 (Android 5 same as FireOS in 2017 Fire 10HD) is quite stable and fast on the HD10 (2017).
But there is one hiccup - the wired headphone socket does not work.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd ... 1-t3953677
UPDATE: The headphone problem is now solved by flashing this fix:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... tcount=515

I previously flashed the plain vanilla Android Lineage 12.1 rom and it worked faultlessly except I could not work without a wired headphone. Thus flashed back the stock rom with these extra features:
  • Deodexed
  • Removed Kindle special offers aka lock screen ad's
  • pre-rooted with Magisk 19.1
  • Disabled OTA
  • Busybox
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd ... m-t3929969
NOTE: The next post #17 details the steps I used to flash Lineage 12.1 plus the headphone fix. Lineage 12.1 has become my daily driver on the Fire 10HD.

Lineage 14.1 (Android 7) is newer and came out in Sep 2019.
But there are a few things not working and thus needed to be improved.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd ... 1-t3973703

UPDATE: Lineage 14.1 now in April 2020 has fixes (1) to use headphone and (2) to have video playback using youtube.
But it still cannot (1) read the SD card, (2) play video in 1080p and (3) save Netflix content locally for offline viewing.
If one can live with these three restrictions, Lineage 14.1 (Android 7) is a worthwhile upgrade. It is plain vanilla Android 7 and thus fast and better than FireOS 5 (Android 5) in Fire 10HD 2017 edition. In contrast, the latest HD10 released in late 2019 has Fire OS 7 (Android 7).
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... tcount=653
Last edited by drdtyc on Apr 30th, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3787 posts
3325 upvotes
Markham
I finally settle with flashing Lineage OS 12.1 (Android 5.1) to replace Fire OS 5 on my Fire 10HD 2017 edition which I bought in Sep 2019. The latest model is known as Fire 10HD 2019 edition which was released in Nov 2019 here in Canada.

These steps apply to the Fire 10HD 2017 edition only.

1. Unlock and the Amazon bootloader and install TWRP.
I used Linux to unlock and install by following the procedure below.
Others may use Windows to unlock and install by following the procedure below which I do not knon if works or not.
https://gearallnews.com/how-to-root-ama ... -recovery/

2. Download Lineage OS (LOS) 12.1 image to the 10HD and flash it using TWRP. Reboot to start LOS 12.1.
The latest version (2020 Apr 22) of the image has this file name:
lineage-12.1-20200422-UNOFFICIAL-suez.zip
DO NOT unzip this file.

3. Download Google app package to the 10HD and flash it using TWRP. Reboot to start LOS 12.1 with Google Play Store installed.
https://opengapps.org/

4. Download Youtube from Playstore to 10HD and install it as per normal under LOS 12.1. Run Youtube to check video and sound playbacks. Video playback is fine. Sound works only on speakers but not from headphone.

5. Download the headphone fix for LOS 12.1 and install it using TWRP. Reboot LOS 12.1 and now sound works from speakers as well as headphone jack.
The fix has this file name:
suez_LOS121-141_headphone_fix_v10-beta.zip
Again, DO NOT unzip it.

In summary, I now have a very pleasant user experience on the 10HD 2017 edition runnng LOS 12.1. I have not forfeited any feature that I previously needed under Fire OS 5. With no bloatware from Amazon, the 10HD runs very fast and smoothly. No more intermittant but frequent pausing and buffeting previously experienced on Fire OS 5. I can still install Prime Video, Kindle, Youtube and Netflix from Playstore. Can store locally the contents of Prime Video and Netflix for offline viewing.

I am a happy camper! :)

P.S. Step 1 above is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Other steps are very easy.

P.P.S. When you have successfully unlocked the boot loader and installed TWRP, you can boot up TWRP by this combination of buttons:
1. Power off the 10HD and wait till it is completely off.
2. Press the Volume Up button and keep on pressing it.
3. Press the power button while the Volume Up button is still being pressed.
4. Release both buttons ONLY WHEN you see the TWRP screen comes up.
Last edited by drdtyc on May 2nd, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 8, 2008
922 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: I finally settle with flashing Lineage OS 12.1 (Android 5.1) to replace Fire OS 5 on my Fire 10HD 2017 edition which I bought in Sep 2019. The latest model is known as Fire 10HD 2019 edition which was released in Nov 2019 here in Canada.

These steps apply to the Fire 10HD 2017 edition only.

1. Unlock and the Amazon bootloader and install TWRP.
I used Linux to unlock and install by following the procedure below.
Others may use Windows to unlock and install by following the procedure below which I do not knon if works or not.
https://gearallnews.com/how-to-root-ama ... -recovery/

2. Download Lineage OS (LOS) 12.1 image to the 10HD and flash it using TWRP. Reboot to start LOS 12.1.
The latest version (2020 Apr 22) of the image has this file name:
lineage-12.1-20200422-UNOFFICIAL-suez.zip
DO NOT unzip this file.

3. Download Google app package to the 10HD and flash it using TWRP. Reboot to start LOS 12.1 with Google Play Store installed.
https://opengapps.org/

4. Download Youtube from Playstore to 10HD and install it as per normal under LOS 12.1. Run Youtube to check video and sound playbacks. Video playback is fine. Sound works only on speakers but not from headphone.

5. Download the headphone fix for LOS 12.1 and install it using TWRP. Reboot LOS 12.1 and now sound works from speakers as well as headphone jack.
The fix has this file name:
suez_LOS121-141_headphone_fix_v10-beta.zip
Again, DO NOT unzip it.

In summary, I now have a very pleasant user experience on the 10HD 2017 edition runnng LOS 12.1. I have not forfeited any feature that I previously needed under Fire OS 5. With no bloatware from Amazon, the 10HD runs very fast and smoothly. No more intermittant but frequent pausing and buffeting previously experienced on Fire OS 5. I can still install Prime Video, Kindle, Youtube and Netflix from Playstore. Can store locally the contents of Prime Video and Netflix for offline viewing.

Any luck setting up Echo Show mode here in Canada?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3787 posts
3325 upvotes
Markham
sidde0 wrote: Any luck setting up Echo Show mode here in Canada?
I do not use Amazon Echo and I use Google Home Mini and Chromecast instead.
Thus I do not know.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1375 posts
594 upvotes
Canada
drdtyc wrote: I finally settle with flashing Lineage OS 12.1 (Android 5.1) to replace Fire OS 5 on my Fire 10HD 2017 edition which I bought in Sep 2019. The latest model is known as Fire 10HD 2019 edition which was released in Nov 2019 here in Canada.

I assume Netflix still plays in 1080p? What is the Widevine level reported now?