• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 10:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1744 posts
1271 upvotes

AMazon Fire HD 8 & 10 Tablets - General Info & Tips

For those who have Amazon Fire HD 8, 10 or both, please share your experiences, tips etc.

For a starter:

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISKS

To access Developer Option
Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet and tap on the Serial Number until you unlock Developer Options.

Amazon Bloatware Removal & Google Play Access
Using W10 computer, download and run Amazon Fire Toolbox v3.2
Make sure tablet is connected via usb to the computer.
Choose the menu etc

IMPORTANT
Before removing Amazon Launcher and Amazon Keyboard, you need to pre-install your preferred launcher (Nova launcher, Apex launcher) and keyboard FIRST
or at the prompt by Toolbox software to install from files.

Personally, I keep both Amazon launcher and KB together with the new launcher/kb installed via sideloading (see LauncherHijack below)

Details: Official LINK

To have a diferrent Launcher other than Amazon Launcher as default
Download latest LauncherHiijack apk
Open and install like any other Android application (if sideload, make sure " installation from unknown source" is on)
Open settings and navigate to "Accessibility -> To detect home button press" and press enable
If Launcher Hijack didn't open, find and open it
Select your desired Launcher from the list provided
Reboot your device

More details, Click LINK.

I recommended a free Andriod File Manager/Explorer, Mixplorer
Setup a connection as ftp server on tablet and use pc Filezille Client to transfer files between the two in the same network.

NOTE: I like to give thanks to rfders who have helped/provided info in various rfd threads.

UPDATE
Amazon Fire Toolbox 4.0
- NEW TOOL: Install Google Assistant!

UPDATE # 2
Amazon Fire Toolbox 5.0 is now available LINK

For those who want to install a different launcher, you now need to install Launcher Hijack clone apk as Amazon 'blocks' the original apk.
Clone Download LINK

UPDATE 29 May 2020
From the developer 's website

How to properly setup drivers on Windows 8.1 and below

Before we get started you will need a few things:

1, Your tablet.
2. A computer with an internet connection.
3. USB Drivers from Google. LINK

Once you have the things listed above:
- Extract the contents of the zip file (Google_USB_Drivers.zip) to the Desktop.
- Enable ADB Debugging (or USB Debugging) from the Developer Options.
- Plug your tablet in (let Windows install the drivers if this is the first time you plugged your tablet into your PC).
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type "Device Manager" (without the quotes) and hit ENTER.-
- Once Device Manager is loaded expand the "Other" field if it isn't expanded already.
- Right-click the "Fire" label and select "Update Driver Software...".
- Then click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
- Then click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers in my computer".
- Select the "Show all devices" and click Next.
- Then hit the "Have Disk" button, and then click on the "Browse..." button.
- Click Desktop, double-click the "Google USB Drivers" folder, and select the "android_winusb.inf" file.
- Press the "Open" button, and then hit the "OK" button.
- Underneath "Model" select the "Android ADB Interface".
- Click "Next", and then click "Yes".
- If it asks you if you would like to install this device software click the "Install" button.
- Wait for it to finish installing the driver software and then once it succeeds press the "Close" button.
- Close out of Device Manager.

That should do it, the Toolbox should now be able to detect the device and push you through to the main menu. Enjoy!

Version : 7.1
Installer (EXE)
Installer (Mirror)
Portable

Update (30 August 2020)
Version : 8.1
Installer
Portable

- Main Menu: When the user hovers over a button, the Toolbox now displays a description of the tool.
- Sideload Apps: When sideloading an app the user has the option to grant all requested permissions by the app automatically.
- Custom Sounds: Replace stock system sounds with custom sounds.
- Remove Lockscreen Ads: the adblocking script is now automatically imported into Automate.
- Manage Everything Amazon: the UI for the Manual subtools has been updated.
- Manage Everything Amazon: The output box now scrolls down with the output.
- Modify System Settings: Activity to remove Google Accounts can be launched from the Account Management option.
- Modify System Settings: Activity to remove Google Accounts can be launched from the Account Management option.
- Manage Everything Amazon: the bug causing Swiftkey and Nova Launcher to not install after a successful debloat has been fixed.
- Welcome Tour: View a tour all about important aspects of the Toolbox and how it functions.
- Google Services: All APKS have been updated.
- Driver Installation: The Amazon drivers have been replaced with Google drivers and the method has also been updated.
- Performance: All tools have been optimized for better performance and speed with tablet generations 7-4.

Update (29th Oct 2020)
Version 9.1
Installer
Portable

- Toolbox Updater: Changelog for the update is now displayed directly in the updater.
- System Backup: Timed out backups are now discarded and the user is now informed when the backup has failed.
- System Backup: Tool performance enhancements.
- Custom Launcher: Updated Nova Launcher, Evie Launcher, and Microsoft Launcher to the latest versions.
- Custom Launcher: If the selected launcher is already installed, then the installation step is now skipped.
- Push and Pull: Fixed a bug that crashed the Toolbox when attempting to pull more then one file at a time.
- Push and Pull: Fixed a directory read error that was causing crashes in the push subtool.
- Youtube Clients: Updated all clients to the latest versions.
- Remove Lockscreen Ads: Bug causing an incorrect push of the adblock flow has been fixed.
- User Interface: The loading animation has been added to almost all tools.

Note: You can download latest(updates) hybrid apps from Amazon without an Amazon account; namely Netflix and Disney Plus
Last edited by imoo2u on Oct 29th, 2020 11:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
87 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6830 posts
5732 upvotes
North York
imoo2u wrote: NOTE: I like to give thanks to rfders who have helped/provided info in various rfd threads.
Thanks for the helpful tips but I have to laugh at this.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2413 posts
794 upvotes
Calgary
konsensei wrote: Thanks for the helpful tips but I have to laugh at this.
Haha I never looked at my own and had to click to see where I was at.
Apr 4, 2017
483 posts
395 upvotes
Any tips for battery life? I have an HD8 (Love it) but the battery drains very fast on standby.
Jan 30, 2010
740 posts
337 upvotes
North Battleford
I tried the "remove everything amazon option" on the fire toolbox and it did not work well. I had problem with the tablets menus...couldn't access parental lock, change time zone etc. I tried it on both the 8 and 10 and each had problems with the menus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1744 posts
1271 upvotes
zoso454 wrote: I tried the "remove everything amazon option" on the fire toolbox and it did not work well. I had problem with the tablets menus...couldn't access parental lock, change time zone etc. I tried it on both the 8 and 10 and each had problems with the menus.
Amazon has its own android OS to run/work in Fire HD 8/10 tablets. By disabling its bloatware, one experiences certain setbacks.
Guess you better leave Amazon apps on your tablets if you wish to access parental lock, time zone change etc
Either you reset to factory stage or use 'restore everything Amazon' from the toolbox.
Then sideload google framework, services, manager and play store if you wish to install/update apps from Google eg youtube.
Also certain apps (non-amazon apks) need google services to work.

It is likely take care of in future updates of Amazon Fire toolbox app by its developers so just keep an eye on its website/page.

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3684 posts
3216 upvotes
Markham
Any news to flash a third party OS to these tablets?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2430 posts
408 upvotes
I have a fire HD 10 and it's a bit faulty so they sent me a new one. I want to copy all my sideloaded apps to the new tablet. Is there a way to clone everything and transfer it over? I heard backup/restore doesn't work on third party installed apps and I can't even manually back it up. My son would be eternally grateful to someone who could direct me how to do that since he has hundreds of hours of played games installed! Thanks
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3684 posts
3216 upvotes
Markham
imoo2u wrote: For those who have Amazon Fire HD 8, 10 or both, please share your experiences, tips etc.

For a starter:

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISKS

To access Developer Option
Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet and tap on the Serial Number until you unlock Developer Options.

Amazon Bloatware Removal & Google Play Access
Using W10 computer, download and run Amazon Fire Toolbox v3.2
Make sure tablet is connected via usb to the computer.
Choose the menu etc

IMPORTANT
Before removing Amazon Launcher and Amazon Keyboard, you need to pre-install your preferred launcher (Nova launcher, Apex launcher) and keyboard FIRST
or at the prompt by Toolbox software to install from files.

Personally, I keep both Amazon launcher and KB together with the new launcher/kb installed via sideloading (see LauncherHijack below)

Details: Official LINK

To have a diferrent Launcher other than Amazon Launcher as default
Download latest LauncherHiijack apk
Open and install like any other Android application (if sideload, make sure " installation from unknown source" is on)
Open settings and navigate to "Accessibility -> To detect home button press" and press enable
If Launcher Hijack didn't open, find and open it
Select your desired Launcher from the list provided
Reboot your device

More details, Click LINK.

I recommended a free Andriod File Manager/Explorer, Mixplorer
Setup a connection as ftp server on tablet and use pc Filezille Client to transfer files between the two in the same network.

NOTE: I like to give thanks to rfders who have helped/provided info in various rfd threads.
I have googled and found these adb commands to unhide certain Amazon apps after you have hidden all of them:
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.webapp
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.otter
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle
adb shell pm unhide com.audible.application.kindle
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.tahoe
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.client.metrics
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.device.backup
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.platform
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.photos
adb shell pm unhide com.nuance.edr.androidservice.service
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.whisperlink.core.android
adb shell pm unhide com.goodreads.kindle
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.csapp [Help App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.venezia [Amazon App store]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.h2settingsfortablet
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.weather
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.personal_video
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.avod [Prime Video App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.windowshop
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.cloud9 [Silk browser app]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.ags.app [Amazon Game circle App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.mp3 [Amazon Music App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.photos.importer
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.zico
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.calculator
adb shell pm unhide com.android.calendar
adb shell pm unhide com.android.email
adb shell pm unhide com.android.contacts
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.camera
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kindle.kso [Special Offers App]
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.kor.provider.permission.READ_PROVIDER
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1744 posts
1271 upvotes
mtlboy wrote: I have a fire HD 10 and it's a bit faulty so they sent me a new one. I want to copy all my sideloaded apps to the new tablet. Is there a way to clone everything and transfer it over? I heard backup/restore doesn't work on third party installed apps and I can't even manually back it up. My son would be eternally grateful to someone who could direct me how to do that since he has hundreds of hours of played games installed! Thanks
1. Format a microsd card as an external storage in Fire HD 10
2. Safe remove and then copy apks from PC.
3. Return microsd to the tablet and install as you go etc.

OR

Install Mixplorer (freeware) and run as a server to transfer apks to your Fire from PC or tablet using FTP Client

Or

Download uploaded apks from your personal 'cloud' storage eg Goodle Drive, dropbox or OneDrive to your new Fire HD
.... My son would be eternally grateful to someone who could direct me how to do that since he has hundreds of hours of played games installed! Thanks
You need to find data (OBB) of apps in the old tablet and copy to the external storege (microsd),
Then transfer that OBB data to the same directory in new tablet after installing app(s) if you wish to continue from the point in your ptevoius (old) tablet.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1744 posts
1271 upvotes
Anyone experiencing "POWER OFF" problem after using Amazon Toolkit on Fire HD 10?

HOLD DOWN Power Button for full 40 secounds to completely shutdown the device

Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8611 posts
1081 upvotes
Friends don't let friends buy Fire HD8's. Maybe I've been spoiled with iPads, but the resolution is so bad that viewing it at night with low backlight is such a pain. HD10 is much better at that, but it suffers from being very bulky.

Only thing going for the Fire HD's are the price. And I'm a huge Amazon user as I have a show2, 2 spots, 3 echo dots 2nd gen, ring alarm, ring doorbell, 2 ring floodlights, 3 spotlights, 3 firestick 4k, 2 firesticks. But after trying out the hd8 and the 10, I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft poll. I was using my hd8 as a drink coaster on my bed, before I sold it to a co-worker (I warned him and let him try it before he bought it)
Jul 8, 2008
828 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know how to run/install Echo Show mode and Alexa in Canada?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)