Computers & Electronics

Amazon Fire Stick 4K help please! (power button and resuming issues)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2021 8:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1708 posts
1361 upvotes

Amazon Fire Stick 4K help please! (power button and resuming issues)

Hi I recently got a Firestick 4K, and was wondering if anyone has the same issue:

1) When pushing the power button on the remote, my tv turns off - but then immediately after 1-3 seconds turns back on automatically.

I notice that if I click the power button very quickly, then it will turn off and stay off, but if I slightly push the power button longer than literally a split second, it will automatically turn itself back on. For me it's not an issue, but for kids and seniors in the home it's a bit of a problem.

Does anyone have any idea if there's a fix for this?

2) If I'm on youtube and turn off the tv - when I turn the power back on a short while later it will resume the video I was previously playing. However if I turn the tv back on about an hour later it will just bring me back to the main firestick menu. Is there an option to always turn on where I last left off?
Always hungry ;)
11 replies
Jan 12, 2017
620 posts
233 upvotes
I'm on youtube and turn off the tv
Suspect this is a 'youtube' feature, not firestick hardware memory. I always exit youtube to shut down, you can't enable alexa source switch within youtube.

The power switch issue, if you have TV CEC enabled, might be a double signal if you have an AVR also operable by the same remote and the AVR sending. Could be a key bounce problem, and something to do with your specific remote (I don't have the issue), might be good to let Amazon support know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1708 posts
1361 upvotes
PatK621 wrote: Suspect this is a 'youtube' feature, not firestick hardware memory. I always exit youtube to shut down, you can't enable alexa source switch within youtube.

The power switch issue, if you have TV CEC enabled, might be a double signal if you have an AVR also operable by the same remote and the AVR sending. Could be a key bounce problem, and something to do with your specific remote (I don't have the issue), might be good to let Amazon support know.
When I use netflix I am also able to resume immediately where I last left off. I don't have an alexa though.

I'm not sure what an AVR is but I have the firestick remote and my tv remote. I tried to long press my regular tv remote power button and it doesn't turn the tv back on immediately after turning it off. The firestick remote power button seems to send a duplicate signal to the tv so if my click is not fast enough it'll turn the tv back on.
I checked the repeater settings under equipment and made sure it was set to once. I also fiddled with the other settings but nothing fixes this issue.
Always hungry ;)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6471 posts
1593 upvotes
Montreal
There are often multiple codes for various brands. Perhaps try managing the equipment option again but don't accept the first code it proposes even if it seems to work. Perhaps a second code will work better.
Last edited by Phils on Nov 29th, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1708 posts
1361 upvotes
Phils wrote: There are often multiple codes for various brands. Perhasps try masnaging the equipment option again but don't accept the first code it proposes even if it seems to work. Perhaps a second code will work better.
I went thru all 11 plus 5 additional codes for my tv and sadly it didn't fix the issue :(
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1389 posts
842 upvotes
Toronto
What is serving the Youtube connection? Is it a fire TV stick or external media player?

Your problem might be related to HDMI-CEC.

Here's info on this feature. It covers enabling it but you could also just follow the info to disable it and see if it's the problem:

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to ... ou-should/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1708 posts
1361 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: What is serving the Youtube connection? Is it a fire TV stick or external media player?

Your problem might be related to HDMI-CEC.

Here's info on this feature. It covers enabling it but you could also just follow the info to disable it and see if it's the problem:

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to ... ou-should/
It's the fire stick. It's an old lcd tv (over 10 years old) and there's no other media player hooked up to it besides the fire stick. The firestick does have HDMI-CEC enabled - but I need this feature on in order to access the power tv on/off feature of the remote. But for some reason when pressing the power button for even half a second will cause it to turn back on immediately. I've fiddled with a bunch of settings but it still remains. I'm wondering if anyone here has the issue?

The youtube /netflix resume just seems a bit odd to me why it brings me back to the home menu when I turn the tv back on after an hour, whereas it will bring me back to my last played video (whether netflix, youtube, etc...) if I turned the tv back on after 10 minutes. I've checked the settings and don't see anywhere to resume playback from longer periods of time :(
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1389 posts
842 upvotes
Toronto
nintendo wrote: It's the fire stick. It's an old lcd tv (over 10 years old) and there's no other media player hooked up to it besides the fire stick. The firestick does have HDMI-CEC enabled - but I need this feature on in order to access the power tv on/off feature of the remote. But for some reason when pressing the power button for even half a second will cause it to turn back on immediately. I've fiddled with a bunch of settings but it still remains. I'm wondering if anyone here has the issue?

The youtube /netflix resume just seems a bit odd to me why it brings me back to the home menu when I turn the tv back on after an hour, whereas it will bring me back to my last played video (whether netflix, youtube, etc...) if I turned the tv back on after 10 minutes. I've checked the settings and don't see anywhere to resume playback from longer periods of time :(
The Fire TV will turn on the screensaver after a few minutes (10-20???) and is the cause of it going back to the homescreen.
If you catch early enough, it will go back to whatever program you had open.
Disable the screensaver. I think that should solve the problem with it going back to the Home screen.
You can change this in Display & Audio/Screensaver.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1708 posts
1361 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: The Fire TV will turn on the screensaver after a few minutes (10-20???) and is the cause of it going back to the homescreen.
If you catch early enough, it will go back to whatever program you had open.
Disable the screensaver. I think that should solve the problem with it going back to the Home screen.
You can change this in Display & Audio/Screensaver.
I disabled the screen saver a few hours ago by changing start time = never.

Unfortunately turned it on just now and it's back to home screen so it doesn't look like that trick fixed the problem :(
Always hungry ;)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6471 posts
1593 upvotes
Montreal
I also want to return to where I was rather than the home screen. Turning off the screen saver didn't do it for me either.
Phils
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1389 posts
842 upvotes
Toronto
Phils wrote: I also want to return to where I was rather than the home screen. Turning off the screen saver didn't do it for me either.
nintendo wrote: I disabled the screen saver a few hours ago by changing start time = never.

Unfortunately turned it on just now and it's back to home screen so it doesn't look like that trick fixed the problem :(
I found these steps that should fix the issue once and for all.
I couldn't find anyone that's used these steps over the past few months, so I hope this still works with the latest update.

I haven't used ADBlink in a while but these steps look correct.
Alternatively, just jump to the Stay Alive app and follow the steps there.

I checked the "Go to THIS LINK ..." link and it looks correct and matches up with what other such instructions online link to.

Alternatively, if you've installed the Downloader app on your Fire TV, you could go to this address in Downloader and download the app directly:
https://www.apkfollow.com/app/stay-aliv ... tay.alive/

If you don't have the Downloader app you can follow these instructions:
https://troypoint.com/downloader/
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3911 posts
2641 upvotes
London
nintendo wrote: It's the fire stick. It's an old lcd tv (over 10 years old) and there's no other media player hooked up to it besides the fire stick. The firestick does have HDMI-CEC enabled - but I need this feature on in order to access the power tv on/off feature of the remote. But for some reason when pressing the power button for even half a second will cause it to turn back on immediately. I've fiddled with a bunch of settings but it still remains. I'm wondering if anyone here has the issue?

u don't need cec turned on for the remote be able to control the tv. cec just makes it so it can do it though the HDMI cable without the remote having to send an IR signal to the tv. u just have to make sure the tv is added on the list of controlled devices. there is also options in there were it can send the power on and off command and repeat it up to 3 times maybe that is turned on and its repeating the command.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)