[Amazon.ca] Amazon Fire TV Cube 2019 Edition - $119.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 5:26 am
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
169 posts
210 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Fire TV Cube 2019 Edition - $119.99

Staples has a better deal for the next few days but here's an Amazon.ca option for those who ... eh, I dunno, got themselves banned from Staples or will be in a coma until July 3 or something.

See the Staples thread for additional product information, including pros and cons against other devices which mostly boils down to "The Shield is better but a lot more expensive" and "Fire TV has a surprising amount of advertising for a product I paid for". Still, I'm finding my Fire TV Stick 4K quite useful for the price and the Cube has better hardware plus direct voice control, no remote required for voice. If I didn't already have the Stick and a Dot I'd probably pick up the Cube for an integrated solution.
15 replies
Aug 9, 2014
118 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got the cube during the staples deal. I also have the Shield TV Pro and comparing the both, I find the Cube performs a bit faster at loading and browsing through apps such as Kodi (even though STP has more ram and better cpu). It could just be the compatibility of add-ons or optimization of certain apps, but I'm loving the Cube for just streaming.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1142 posts
806 upvotes
VANCOUVER
naumb25 wrote: Got the cube during the staples deal. I also have the Shield TV Pro and comparing the both, I find the Cube performs a bit faster at loading and browsing through apps such as Kodi (even though STP has more ram and better cpu). It could just be the compatibility of add-ons or optimization of certain apps, but I'm loving the Cube for just streaming.
Thanks for the helpful comparison.
Jun 10, 2011
43 posts
16 upvotes
KIRKLAND
I believe that the difference between the Staples and the Amazon.ca Cube is the version. The Amazon is the 2019 version with the better processor. Correct me if I am wrong... .
Aug 15, 2006
323 posts
89 upvotes
Limited time deal.
And since this is Amazon product it should be eligible for 1% cash back at rakuten

amazon prime is in a few days (unless covid impacts it somehow)so it might go on sale at that time too for lower price
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1895 posts
639 upvotes
Montréal, QC
How is it compared to the FireStick 4K?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2002 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Clee wrote: How is it compared to the FireStick 4K?
It has the voice thing, boots faster and launches apps way faster. Otherwise the same. The stick has the advantage of not messing around with hdmi cable issues. I have a fire stick 4K and the staples’ $100+ tax sitting in the unopened shipping bag. Trying to decide if the voice thing is worth it. I have the Harmony hub so that complicates the issue. Impulsive buy caused by this place!

I would like to have my Shield, Apple TV and the Cube on the same TV. You can add the Apple TV to the Cube but not the Shield. Has anyone tried anything like this, or used both a Cube and Harmony Hub without disabling the Cube’s capabilities?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1895 posts
639 upvotes
Montréal, QC
pmcd wrote: It has the voice thing, boots faster and launches apps way faster. Otherwise the same. The stick has the advantage of not messing around with hdmi cable issues. I have a fire stick 4K and the staples’ $100+ tax sitting in the unopened shipping bag. Trying to decide if the voice thing is worth it. I have the Harmony hub so that complicates the issue. Impulsive buy caused by this place!

I would like to have my Shield, Apple TV and the Cube on the same TV. You can add the Apple TV to the Cube but not the Shield. Has anyone tried anything like this, or used both a Cube and Harmony Hub without disabling the Cube’s capabilities?
My Fire stick has voice too, but it's on the remote.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
169 posts
210 upvotes
pmcd wrote: Has anyone tried anything like this, or used both a Cube and Harmony Hub without disabling the Cube’s capabilities?
I don't have the cube but I do have a Fire Stick 4K that I use with my Harmony Companion (hub-based) remote without issue aside from the original setup being a bit finicky. What's your specific concern?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2002 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
RaySmith wrote: I don't have the cube but I do have a Fire Stick 4K that I use with my Harmony Companion (hub-based) remote without issue aside from the original setup being a bit finicky. What's your specific concern?
Well, the Cube has an always listening mode. It has the ability to turn on a tv, sound bar, etc... via voice, just like the Harmony Hub. I have quite a few Alexa units and have enabled the Harmony app. So I can enable via voice a number of things. I am trying to see a way of not having to disable the Cube’s Alexa without the two conflicting. I really like using the Harmony remote with my Shield, but the idea of using the Cube via voice is appealing so something would have to give. I could disable the Alexa Harmony “app” which is ok, but then I couldn’t turn off the tv remotely. Not a serious issue. Just trying to get things customized in the best way possible.

I have the excellent Firestick 4K. I just never use the voice because I don't care for pressing the button on its remote. Same with my Apple TV.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
169 posts
210 upvotes
pmcd wrote: Well, the Cube has an always listening mode. It has the ability to turn on a tv, sound bar, etc... via voice, just like the Harmony Hub. I have quite a few Alexa units and have enabled the Harmony app. So I can enable via voice a number of things. I am trying to see a way of not having to disable the Cube’s Alexa without the two conflicting. I really like using the Harmony remote with my Shield, but the idea of using the Cube via voice is appealing so something would have to give. I could disable the Alexa Harmony “app” which is ok, but then I couldn’t turn off the tv remotely. Not a serious issue. Just trying to get things customized in the best way possible.

I have the excellent Firestick 4K. I just never use the voice because I don't care for pressing the button on its remote. Same with my Apple TV.
Right, the Cube is, more or less, a Fire Stick 4K combined with an Echo device. Far as I'm aware, though, the Harmony Hub has no such voice feature, in fact one of the perks of having an Echo device is that you can use it to control the Harmony Hub (if I'm watching something on the Fire TV Stick and I call out "Alexa Pause", it will pause the show I'm watching, although I rarely use voice control in that scenario).

I'd just give it a try if you're interested, I think you'll find that you won't have the conflict you're envisioning and adding the Cube may add the functionality you're currently missing. Worst case it's a return.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2002 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
RaySmith wrote: Right, the Cube is, more or less, a Fire Stick 4K combined with an Echo device. Far as I'm aware, though, the Harmony Hub has no such voice feature, in fact one of the perks of having an Echo device is that you can use it to control the Harmony Hub (if I'm watching something on the Fire TV Stick and I call out "Alexa Pause", it will pause the show I'm watching, although I rarely use voice control in that scenario).

I'd just give it a try if you're interested, I think you'll find that you won't have the conflict you're envisioning and adding the Cube may add the functionality you're currently missing. Worst case it's a return.
Heh...I have an several Alexa devices. They interact nicely with the Harmony Hub for turning things on and off. I never realized I could also pause things I was watching. Is this unique to the Firestick? I set up activities but didn’t think Alexa could operate within an activity, which would be the case for the Fire Cube. I haven’t opened the Fire Cube box yet, and it might even be too late to return it. Seems like a neat player, in principle. Seems like a pain to return it so I’ll just keep it. Quite frankly, I have yet to find a media player as good as the Shield or Apple TV 4K. Maybe the Fire Cube will come close, hopefully.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
169 posts
210 upvotes
pmcd wrote: Heh...I have an several Alexa devices. They interact nicely with the Harmony Hub for turning things on and off. I never realized I could also pause things I was watching. Is this unique to the Firestick? I set up activities but didn’t think Alexa could operate within an activity, which would be the case for the Fire Cube. I haven’t opened the Fire Cube box yet, and it might even be too late to return it. Seems like a neat player, in principle. Seems like a pain to return it so I’ll just keep it. Quite frankly, I have yet to find a media player as good as the Shield or Apple TV 4K. Maybe the Fire Cube will come close, hopefully.
Yeah, not sure if that's unique but I've noticed the same thing but I don't think it's going through the Harmony, I think it's interfacing directly with the Fire Stick (I'm pretty sure about this based on subsequent testing below). I did configure my dot to be aware of the Fire Stick but never use it for control purposes, it was just something I did during original setup, I use my Logitech remote for control. However, if I'm not using the dot for some other sustained purpose (playing music, etc), it seems I can pause and play TV without having to go through the "Alexa, send pause command to Fire Stick" rigamarole. "Alexa, pause" seems to work. I'd been meaning to test voice entry for searching and finally just got around to it, at least in the Prime app on the Fire Stick I can "Alexa, search for Will Smith" and it will bring up the correct results. Bonus, wish I'd tried that earlier, would have saved me some time.