Nov 2, 2003
16326 posts
2667 upvotes
GTA

Kingston A400 2.5" SSD 7mm SATA3 $58 480GB $110 960GB

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Amazon
man the price keeps dropping on SSDs...!!

The 480GB was sitting at around $80 all year. Last black friday (2019) it came close to $60 but never below. This is a historic low.
26 replies
Apr 16, 2014
20 posts
85 upvotes
Vaughan
Kingston A400 250GB SSD – PROS AND CONS
+ Pros: affordable, low power consumption, 3-years warranty, solid performance
– Cons: no software tool, not enough performance compared to drives that are slightly more expensive

For a relatively recent PC computer/laptop, to use as a main system drive, I would get a better ssd, one with DRAM cache
For an older PC computer, this makes sense
For a PC computer, as fast mass storage, this makes sense
For a PS4/XBOX drive replacement, this makes sense
Mar 5, 2016
915 posts
671 upvotes
markolic wrote: Kingston A400 250GB SSD – PROS AND CONS
+ Pros: affordable, low power consumption, 3-years warranty, solid performance
– Cons: no software tool, not enough performance compared to drives that are slightly more expensive

For a relatively recent PC computer/laptop, to use as a main system drive, I would get a better ssd, one with DRAM cache
For an older PC computer, this makes sense
For a PC computer, as fast mass storage, this makes sense
For a PS4/XBOX drive replacement, this makes sense
Can anyone confirm and/or comment about reliability of this drive? I have an Evo 860 500gb but could use some more fast storage.
Nov 23, 2004
775 posts
1367 upvotes
Ontario
markolic wrote: – Cons: no software tool
What "software tool" does one need with a hard drive?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2031 posts
722 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Kingston is crap, I get random freeze just browsing the web. I don't know if the lack of DRAM is the issue here, but I don't get those random freeze with a cheap SanDisk.
Apr 16, 2014
20 posts
85 upvotes
Vaughan
samsung ssds has "samsung magician" which has some features and lets you set a performance vs. endurance mode
some ssds also come with system migration software that lets you transfer files from old hard drive

both could be replaced with some freeware so i guess the lack of included software isnt a big deal here
Apr 18, 2017
684 posts
1333 upvotes
ahammad wrote: Can anyone confirm and/or comment about reliability of this drive? I have an Evo 860 500gb but could use some more fast storage.
I've had an A400 drive for quite a few years. But, like everyone else is saying, it's slow. Like, very slow for an SSD.
Apr 27, 2017
120 posts
149 upvotes
Bought one during a flash sale to resurrect a laptop, can confirm it is faster than a 2.5" 7200rpm HDD and works fine for a light use/web browsing device. But I bought this as I doubt this laptop will be relevant in 2-3 years and I know boot time is still below average being a dram-less drive. I would be tempted to tell everyone to go elsewhere for a OS drive or something requiring a bit more longevity.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3478 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
JurassicFlop wrote: Bought one during a flash sale to resurrect a laptop, can confirm it is faster than a 2.5" 7200rpm HDD and works fine for a light use/web browsing device. But I bought this as I doubt this laptop will be relevant in 2-3 years and I know boot time is still below average being a dram-less drive. I would be tempted to tell everyone to go elsewhere for a OS drive or something requiring a bit more longevity.
I would have thought that the booting process is mostly reading. In the Linux world, you can boot from a read-only medium but I don't know about Windows.

I would also think that "dramless" (which really means "less DRAM") would only affect writing. The DRAM is used in the "wear levelling" process.

Can someone set me straight on this?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3077 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
only limit of 1 on the 480? annoying, i also picked up a 240 for $35. i throw these in anceint dell optiplexes and only for retro use in a cab. so its plenty fast lol.

rarely writing a lot to these at once.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1946 posts
824 upvotes
Antarctica
Been using a 120gb Kingston A400 in an old laptop for over 3 years and it's still going strong.
Feb 5, 2009
911 posts
146 upvotes
Hugh wrote: I would have thought that the booting process is mostly reading. In the Linux world, you can boot from a read-only medium but I don't know about Windows.

I would also think that "dramless" (which really means "less DRAM") would only affect writing. The DRAM is used in the "wear levelling" process.

First off, as a boot drive, I typically don’t put just my boot info/program/operating system on there, I also put applications and other data, so not sure as to the point here, because yes you can put boot info onto a ROM device but that boot info/programs can and will need to be updated at some point if you need to upgrade, and that’s not even speaking to when a system runs that you will need page files or swap files, unless you have enough RAM on to run your apps without info needing to put onto a disk/drive.

The second comment about “dramless” I understand to mean no DRAM, ( you know similar to the word shirtless which means no shirt, not less of a shirt Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye;) ), I’m not cracking one open to see if it has any DRAM or not, but I would say it’s like a SD card where you have no dram at all. And if there was less DRAM in it, it may be pointless to have it in there if there isn’t enough to be used effectively or make your system run faster relative to ones that have more DRAM.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2464 posts
1650 upvotes
GTA
Hugh wrote: I would have thought that the booting process is mostly reading. In the Linux world, you can boot from a read-only medium but I don't know about Windows.

DRAMless means no DRAM. The purpose is for caching, so both read and writes will benefit.
Dec 13, 2019
367 posts
284 upvotes
ahammad wrote: Can anyone confirm and/or comment about reliability of this drive? I have an Evo 860 500gb but could use some more fast storage.
I got mine 5+ years ago when it was sold as a kit for my then new build. I got the kit for about $99 at Best Buy and it is still going strong today. Initially, after a few months, the drive would "scramble" itself and I did think I got a lemon. Then I remounted the drive to a drive bay that has air blowing over it just on a hunch that it could be overheating and it has been working fine ever since and is still going strong (knock on wood) as my system drive. So it was my case design that had a nook for SSD's but there was no air flow which overheated the drive (and I didn't know it would do that since I've never had SSDs before).

So all in all, this is a decently reliable drive as a workhorse system drive, but don't expect blazing fast performance on it. If you're using it for that purpose, then this is a good price for a workhorse type of SSD.
Why settle for MSRP when you can wait and get it at a lower price? 😉
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
3231 posts
496 upvotes
Don't be nosey
Will these pair well with the Nvidia Shield Pro?
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Oct 10, 2019
282 posts
255 upvotes
Clee wrote: Kingston is crap, I get random freeze just browsing the web. I don't know if the lack of DRAM is the issue here, but I don't get those random freeze with a cheap SanDisk.
DingDINGDing WinnerWinnerChickenDinner First poster to mention DRAM!!! :-)