Expired Hot Deals

Amazon

Lodge Combo Cooker (3.2 Quart) $54.99 (down from $111.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 9:48 pm
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1456 posts
1232 upvotes
Edmonton
Some people swear by cast iron. For me the cleaning is a pain in the ass. Consider enameled cast iron for a mid-way alternative.
Sep 11, 2010
137 posts
128 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote: Some people swear by cast iron. For me the cleaning is a pain in the ass. Consider enameled cast iron for a mid-way alternative.
If the cast iron is seasoned properly you shouldn't have any trouble cleaning it. If i have a complaint it would just be the weight
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3777 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
frozenmelon wrote: Some people swear by cast iron. For me the cleaning is a pain in the ass. Consider enameled cast iron for a mid-way alternative.
I use both, but the cast iron is always easier to clean. Maybe you need more seasoning on yours. I usually give mine a thin layer of oil and let it bake every time I use the oven. For the enameled, that's my stewing pot, definitely have stuff stick to it all the time, need much more deglazing.
Apr 28, 2019
57 posts
64 upvotes
Dash wrote: The ear of my sourdough keeps hitting the top. And I'm baking small loaves. I might change my scoring, but something to be mindful of
I've never made sourdough but from what I know about the process you keep it covered for 10-20 minutes and then take it off. Does it hit the top in that timeframe or do you bake it with the top on the whole time?
Just buy it.
Oct 2, 2009
488 posts
294 upvotes
Curious why cleaning is a pain.

At home if its really stuck on I boil water and scrub it as I would any other pan.

At work I spray it down while hot and 99% of the stuff comes off.
Jan 15, 2016
604 posts
620 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I too have not had issues with cleaning lodge stuff. I use both the 12in pan and the 2 way griddle during camping season.

Just had to wipe with oil and bake upside down then it was set.
mewko1502 wrote: Curious why cleaning is a pain.

At home if its really stuck on I boil water and scrub it as I would any other pan.

At work I spray it down while hot and 99% of the stuff comes off.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
9994 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Addmaa wrote: I've never made sourdough but from what I know about the process you keep it covered for 10-20 minutes and then take it off. Does it hit the top in that timeframe or do you bake it with the top on the whole time?
That's correct. You keep the lid on for 20-25 minutes to trap the steam in. This allows it to rise, and then you take the lid off to form the crust. I make boules, so maybe it didn't happen to those who make batards?
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6521 posts
382 upvotes
Etobicoke
I highly recommend cast iron cookware. If you've been using non-stick up to now, you will need a new set of cooking utensils and cleaning supplies. And it is not optimal for acidic foods. But other than that, it is way better than non-stick, stainless steel and copper. I have (non-cast) iron wok, pans, grille, griddle and all are super durable and easy to cook with.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1513 posts
1746 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
eelfliw wrote: I highly recommend cast iron cookware. If you've been using non-stick up to now, you will need a new set of cooking utensils and cleaning supplies. And it is not optimal for acidic foods. But other than that, it is way better than non-stick, stainless steel and copper. I have (non-cast) iron wok, pans, grille, griddle and all are super durable and easy to cook with.
Did you have a suggestion for an iron wok with a large base? I've had trouble finding one - ideally I was looking at like a deep skillet but even that couldn't be found in a large version (like 12in dia and 5 in deep).
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Nov 15, 2010
425 posts
136 upvotes
Montreal
There’s an Amazon warehouse deal @ $52.24
For that extra 5% off Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6521 posts
382 upvotes
Etobicoke
Bigboy16 wrote: Did you have a suggestion for an iron wok with a large base? I've had trouble finding one - ideally I was looking at like a deep skillet but even that couldn't be found in a large version (like 12in dia and 5 in deep).
I see you're in Alberta so I can't help you. But in Toronto, Tap Phong caters to the retail market with restaurant supply goods. I got a 16" iron wok there. Very happy with it. Keep in mind that with such a large wok, you won't be able to flip the food with it unless you're strong. The key is, the wok must be used on a gas stove. Electric stove doesn't get hot enough fast enough. The diameter of the flame ring also has to match the wok. A huge wok with a small heat patch won't cut it.
May 30, 2016
436 posts
473 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Dash wrote: The ear of my sourdough keeps hitting the top. And I'm baking small loaves. I might change my scoring, but something to be mindful of
I never get that much rise out of my SD. Jealous. My loafs usually only rise 4 inches or so for a boule and 5 inches or so for a batard.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
9994 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
porksoda wrote: Slash a bit deeper, seems like not a lot of relief or your starter is very active as well.
Im happy with my oven spring. I just wish I had some more clearance so that the ear wouldn't hit the top. I think I'm going to do a square, or x score on my next loaf to see if that works out better.
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1248 posts
165 upvotes
Did anyone else get a mid-delivery cancellation from Amazon? My tracking shows a repeated issue in the US and I saw this when I logged into Amazon to check status.

Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 3 - 5 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.