• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 9:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5605 posts
3577 upvotes
I'm just not sure how profitable Brim is. Offices in the GTA and a medium sized payroll don't come cheap. Sure, credit cards are usually an eminently profitable business, but I wonder how many people have really ever heard of them. I'm just not sure about the long term viability of the company.

The only real good thing coming out of the Amazon launch is the presence of another no FX credit card in Canada.

It's a crime against humanity that the banks still charge it. Many of them just raised their regular interest rate to 20.99%!!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1181 posts
209 upvotes
ORLEANS
So the rogers WE would still be better card for using abroad?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5178 posts
5077 upvotes
Vancouver
With Rogers you pay an extra 2.5% conversion charge upfront and collect 4% rewards points, easily redeemed for statement credit anytime once you have collected $20 worth, which you earn on $1,143 spend. Easy for most to do this every month, for a net return of 1.5%. Amazon (the way the old one Chase one worked): pay 0% upfront and collect 1% later, paid out once you have earned $20.

For me, Rogers beats Amazon hands down. But Amazon wins if you need to refund something like a hotel cancellation, because if you do that with Rogers you don't get the 2.5% surcharge refunded.

Edited to fix mistake on old Amazon payout timing
Last edited by Kiraly on May 18th, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18619 posts
3245 upvotes
GTA West
Delight wrote:
May 17th, 2019 5:21 am
TD killed off their mastercard portfolio (keeping it with MBNA), and doesn't seem like they're going back. I don't think this is quite right.
Agreed. And TD is the master of hidden fees, so I would hardly expect them to offer a 0% Forex card.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6316 posts
797 upvotes
does prime membership fee qualify for the 2.5% CB?
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
11 posts
11 upvotes
MasterPro wrote:
May 18th, 2019 8:43 am
with their reputation?
Brim card is great. No complaints from here or the overwhelming majority of actual cardholders.
Feb 2, 2007
589 posts
368 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote:
May 18th, 2019 11:53 am
With Rogers you pay an extra 2.5% conversion charge upfront and collect 4% rewards points, easily redeemed for statement credit anytime once you have collected $20 worth, which you earn on $1,143 spend. Easy for most to do this every month, for a net return of 1.5%. Amazon (the way the old one Chase one worked): pay 0% upfront and collect 1% later. You need to wait for the once-a-year payout.
For the Amazon Visa by Chase there wasn't an annual payout, but every time you accumulated $20 in "points", you would get $20 statement credit.
I wish Rogers would have implemented something like that instead of their current system.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1359 posts
992 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
adrian2 wrote:
May 18th, 2019 9:29 pm
For the Amazon Visa by Chase there wasn't an annual payout, but every time you accumulated $20 in "points", you would get $20 statement credit.
I wish Rogers would have implemented something like that instead of their current system.
Not sure what rock you’ve been under but the current setup is the same save for one step where you have to manually redeem, which, some people prefer in fact and is a minor inconvenience at best to those who don’t.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2437 posts
1023 upvotes
Edmonton
masterman wrote:
May 17th, 2019 1:05 pm
CTFS WE is 3% on groceries, excluding WalMart
Walmart is not a grocery store so the exclusion is moot.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2437 posts
1023 upvotes
Edmonton
robsaw wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:04 pm
All MBNA Canada cards are backed/administered by TD (MBNA is just a brand now, cards are legally issued by TD), so if it is a TD Mastercard that would almost certainly be an MBNA branded card.
I don’t think it is just a brand. Recently applied for my third MBNA and they made note of my multiple cards and took credit away from one to provide it on the new one. There was no mention of my TD card.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2532 posts
637 upvotes
Ontario
starchoice wrote:
May 18th, 2019 9:39 pm
Walmart is on MC's grocery category list. Some people with MCs with grocery accelerator categories enjoy a boost at Walmart. For example, Tangerine MC gives 2% at Walmart if grocery is one of your accelerator categories.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10670 posts
7052 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
starchoice wrote:
May 18th, 2019 9:39 pm
Only MasterCard classifies Walmart Supercentres as grocery (for the sake of grocery accelerators). CTFS deliberately excluded them, because they don't see Walmart MC as a viable competitor. They're basically hoping you'd choose them (CTFS) over PCO, and in the event that you shop grocery at non-Loblaws grocers, you'd still use CTFS over a 3-4% G&G card. Tang, RBC and the likes give grocery accelorator at Walmart with their MC.
starchoice wrote:
May 18th, 2019 9:43 pm
I don’t think it is just a brand. Recently applied for my third MBNA and they made note of my multiple cards and took credit away from one to provide it on the new one. There was no mention of my TD card.
They don't need to mention TD CT when moving CL from one MBNA card to the next. You can go on MBNA's website and see TD mentioned all over the terms of service & even in cardholder agreement afaik. Subbies don't need to mention parent co on every transaction and interaction.
Last edited by titaniumtux on May 18th, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2532 posts
637 upvotes
Ontario
Altera wrote:
May 18th, 2019 9:33 pm
Not sure what rock you’ve been under but the current setup is the same save for one step where you have to manually redeem, which, some people prefer in fact and is a minor inconvenience at best to those who don’t.
Doesn't Rogers have an option to autoredeem if you select this in the app?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2437 posts
1023 upvotes
Edmonton
masterman wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:21 am
+1
Really, this is only geared towards heavy Amazon shoppers who have a Prime membership already.
I doubt this judging from the many who had the original card just for the no ForEx feature.

Unless you have to have Prime to have the card or there is an AF, it will be a popular card.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2532 posts
637 upvotes
Ontario
starchoice wrote:
May 18th, 2019 9:46 pm
I doubt this judging from the many who had the original card just for the no ForEx feature.

Unless you have to have Prime to have the card or there is an AF, it will be a popular card.
Yes, Amazon Visa was popular for the no FX fee features but times have changed.

There are more no FX fee cards to choose from now:

-Brim MC
-HOmetrust Visa
-Scotia Passport Infinite Visa
-upcoming Scotia Amex Gold
-HSBC WE MC
-Rogers WE MC (net 1.5% cashback after 2.5% FX fee)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)