• Jan 24th, 2024 8:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3176 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: It's a strange one. MBNA has been severely nerfed by TD's Midas touch. TD maintains all of MBNA's co-branded relationships from the BoA days, but doesn't seem to care to offer super awesome keeper cards. They cater to a niche market, but don't want MBNA cards to compete with TD CT flagship cards. Heck, even the MBNA SONY card is dead. I'm somewhat surprised MBNA would co-brand Amazon. But hey, who else would do it?
LOL the TD Midas touch, that's a good one.

And as for MBNA I don't know why TD keeps them around, I guess they make money but their products are old or just garbage. But hey at least MBNA is cared for more than CUETS who didn't even get a new website.
May 26, 2009
588 posts
789 upvotes
Calgary
jacnel wrote: In comparison to Loblaw and CTFS they're very new. And most of the company's wealth comes from AWS and investment anyways, they barely brake even, so I don't think starting a bank will be feasible for them.
Based on yesterday's close, they have the second highest market cap of any US company. Second only to Microsoft. Larger than JPMorgan Chase & Bank of America put together. If they wanted to start a bank, they would do so.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
jtfrogger wrote: If they wanted to start a bank, they would do so.
Out of cashflow.... LOL Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Kept Amazon.ca Sorting Tool: https://katrina.life/s/
* A google ad cover's bandwidth
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6265 upvotes
We need more info on FX.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
2125 posts
1481 upvotes
Near You
Hopefully, 0 FX

Most likely 0 change from the rest of MBNA cards.

Thanks, TD.
EdisonL299 wrote: We need more info on FX.
Cards: Amex Platinum • Aeroplan Reserve • Chase AP • CSR • Bonvoy
Banking: Wise • HSBC • TD • Tangerine • Chase
Flights: AC SE • KLM SilverBA Silver
Mobile: AT&T • Fizz • Google Fi • Free.fr
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
mistytalon wrote: Hopefully, 0 FX

Most likely 0 change from the rest of MBNA cards.

Thanks, TD.
That's why we use their products based on their offerings. Churn it up!
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Poutinesauce wrote: Why aren't these referral phishing sites all filtered out? They just disguise themselves as legitimate.
I'd be careful with the phishing label... Companies that make money on referrals are generally no different than GCR in most cases. Phishing is a scam label - smaller players taking a cut for referrals aren't scams.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Kept Amazon.ca Sorting Tool: https://katrina.life/s/
* A google ad cover's bandwidth
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Mar 14, 2018
870 posts
1103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
CouponBaron wrote: I'd be careful with the phishing label... Companies that make money on referrals are generally no different than GCR in most cases. Phishing is a scam label - smaller players taking a cut for referrals aren't scams.
I think it is fair play, as long as they bring valuable information to the table, and not just try to get you to sign for every card available. IE, Prince of Travel, Credit Shifu are actually good sources of informations, but then Credit Card Genius is more of a "here's the perks, now apply" kinda place. But then, it is mostly personal opinion.
The American Express Atlas (2023 Edition)
iPhone 15 Pro Max | Apple Watch Series 4 | MacBook Pro M1
AMEX Cobalt | Rogers MC
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
thefusio15 wrote: I think it is fair play, as long as they bring valuable information to the table, and not just try to get you to sign for every card available. IE, Prince of Travel, Credit Shifu are actually good sources of informations, but then Credit Card Genius is more of a "here's the perks, now apply" kinda place. But then, it is mostly personal opinion.
+1

Creditcardgenius and GreedyRates should give $$ just like GCR & RSM. I get that GreedyRates is a "blog", but their content is poorly written IMO. Almost any user who's posted on this thread so far could produce better content on the topics of PF, CC's, etc. than GreedyRates.

Prince of Travel, Credit Shifu and the likes provide quality content. Whether viewers like them is YMMV, but their product is objective information, rather than a sales pitch. They share to varying degrees how they use the products and give real life examples of how it works for them, rather than spam you with signup links.

Point is, some sites are more transparent than others. GCR and RSM are like a catalogue. Sure, it's their affiliates, but you know that already when walking in (more of a "retail/online shopping experience"). Borrowell and CK get your consent to spam you with affiliate offers in exchange for free credit history viewing. Creditcardgenius, RateHub and GreedyRates disguise themselves as informative websites, only to hide that they only care to bombard you with affiliate offers (in exchange for...poorly written content or product recommendation calculators).
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jun 11th, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Mar 14, 2018
870 posts
1103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
titaniumtux wrote: I get that GreedyRates is a "blog", but their content is poorly written IMO. Almost any user who's posted on this thread so far could produce better content on the topics of PF, CC's s, etc. than GreedyRates.
Totally. I thought about making the Amex Atlas as part of a website that would focus on CC in Canada, but then I realized that even sticking around here content is better than 99% of those sites. Might look into it in the future, but my hosting / domain setup would have been too limited to run the website totally.
The American Express Atlas (2023 Edition)
iPhone 15 Pro Max | Apple Watch Series 4 | MacBook Pro M1
AMEX Cobalt | Rogers MC
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
titaniumtux wrote: +1

Creditcardgenius and GreedyRates should give $$ just like GCR & RSM. I get that GreedyRates is a "blog", but their content is poorly written IMO. Almost any user who's posted on this thread so far could produce better content on the topics of PF, CC's, etc. than GreedyRates.

Prince of Travel, Credit Shifu and the likes provide quality content. Whether viewers like them is YMMV, but their product is objective information, rather than a sales pitch. They share to varying degrees how they use the products and give real life examples of how it works for them, rather than spam you with signup links.

Point is, some sites are more transparent than others. GCR and RSM are like a catalogue. Sure, it's their affiliates, but you know that already when walking in (more of a "retail/online shopping experience"). Borrowell and CK get your consent to spam you with affiliate offers in exchange for free credit history viewing. Creditcardgenius, RateHub and GreedyRates disguise themselves as informative websites, only to hide that they only care to bombard you with affiliate offers (in exchange for...poorly written content or product recommendation calculators).
While I agree with you totally, I feel like GreedyRates has a formula that just works for the average person. I believe their content quality is low because they still get tons of referrals and signups. If they weren't getting referrals and signups, I suspect they would increase their content quality. But, I feel that they get enough referral/sign ups that they really don't give a crap and their model works.

I don't agree with their actions, but understand why they're doing what they're doing.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
jellytime wrote: While I agree with you totally, I feel like GreedyRates has a formula that just works for the average person. I believe their content quality is low because they still get tons of referrals and signups. If they weren't getting referrals and signups, I suspect they would increase their content quality. But, I feel that they get enough referral/sign ups that they really don't give a crap and their model works.

I don't agree with their actions, but understand why they're doing what they're doing.
+1
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Please go easy, rarely post any deals because everyone here has a better eye than me! Please also delete if re-post, can't seem to locate anything on this being released, but then could be a oversight.

Welcome offer
  • Get 5% back at Amazon.ca, grocery stores, and restaurants for 6 months after approval, on first $3,000 in eligible purchases

Get more with Prime
  • Increase your earnings to 2.5% back at Amazon.ca, Whole Foods Market, and on foreign purchases* plus super-fast shipping on millions of items with an eligible Prime membership and upon approval for the Amazon.ca Rewards Mastercard.
*There is a 2.5% fx markup from MBNA (TD), you earn 2.5% back in points and get nothing afterwards and still have to be a Prime member.

Perks
  • No annual credit card fee: Put your money towards the things you love.
  • Get 1.5% back at Amazon.ca: Get 1.5% back on eligible purchases at Amazon.ca and Whole Foods Market stores after the welcome offer.
  • A simple way to get more rewards: Get 1% back on eligible purchases everywhere else Mastercard is accepted, including foreign currency transactions after the welcome offer.

It's basically your standard TD cashback card branded with Amazon and MBNA. Everything else about the card is the same but you earn a little bit more when shopping at Amazon or Whole Foods, so great if you frequent Amazon (not that much with Whole Foods since it's a grocery store and you can get more potentially elsewhere). Applications are handled directly with MBNA. When you earn 2000 points, you get an $20 Amazon GC applied to the account.

I'm personally underwhelmed but TD is usually quite disappointing with it's offerings so it's quite expected. I would have been more happy if the net reward was 2.5% on fx, not 0%, and you have to be a Prime member too! Considering it's MBNA and TD that's issuing these cards, I doubt there will be any hype around the card, considering you get more elsewhere.

Edit: Here's MBNA's page on it: https://www.mbna.ca/en/credit-cards/ret ... astercard/
There doesn't seem to be anything special from this card, but according to the legal disclaimer, it does say that the card is a platinum or world MasterCard but as far as I can see, there's no indication what's going to be issued...
Last edited by IEpicDestroyer on Jun 18th, 2019 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)