Expired Hot Deals

Locked: [Amazon.ca] MXQ Openelec TV Box with Fully Loaded Kodi - $59.99 BACK IN STOCK

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2016 11:13 am
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Apr 19, 2009
77 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Amazon.ca] MXQ Openelec TV Box with Fully Loaded Kodi - $59.99 BACK IN STOCK

Moderator edit:
aasoror wrote: Well looking deeper into this, OP had a thread removed from BST (violation of "no mass selling" rule) where he was directly selling this very same box (Dec 27, 2015), he comes back in April and since then he has not made a single post outside the thread(s) he creates to promote that box on amazon.

OP permanently banned

Buyers be aware ..

New item on Amazon. MXQ Openelec TV Box. Kodi preinstalled and "fully loaded", so I guess it comes with the video addons (Exodus, Genesis etc). Runs Openelec (based on Linux) and not an Android box. Claims to be much faster than comparably priced Android boxes. I just picked one up and will post a review soon.

EDIT 3: Back in stock on Amazon. I contacted the merchant and they apologized for being out of stock, they've had overwhelming demand in the past few weeks and are working hard to keep the Openelec box in stock. I ordered another box recently and recieved it, the only difference is that the box comes with Openelec 7.0 with Kodi Jarvis 16.1 now. Review is updated below as the WIFI setup instructions have changed.

EDIT 2: Back in stock on Amazon. I've been using this box for the past couple of weeks and I still recommend it. Excellent purchase and a great deal.

EDIT: Looks like we hugged it to death, RFD. Currently out of stock on Amazon. I contacted the merchant and they said they should have stock by the end of the week. Will update when it is in stock.

Review

I will be comparing this box to my MXQ Android box that I have in my living room. I will be using this for my bedroom.

Shipping: Box shipped very quickly as expected with Amazon Prime. I recieved the box in two days.

Unboxing and Install: Plugged in box to power and to TV with included HDMI cable. Remote is a simple IR remote. Comes with two AAA batteries. Turned on box and light went from red to blue. MXQ logo showed up on screen for about 3 seconds, then the Openelec logo for another 2 seconds. Box then boots directly into Kodi. Total startup time is 5 seconds. Faster startup than my MXQ Android box. WIFI Setup: Scroll to Programs, click on Libreelec Config, click on Connections, click on your Wifi network, enter password. That's it, install completed.

Media Player: Before I review the streaming features I wanted to test out the media player functionality. I have media located on my NAS and a portable hard drive. Media consists of movie rips (DVD and 50gb BD rips), HD camcorder footage, pictures (all JPEG), and music (all MP3 or AAC). Pictures and music all played fine as expected. The DVD quality rips all play fine as expected. What surprised me was the playback of my Bluray rips. It played my 50gb bluray rips perfectly with no frame drops or stuttering. Playback was the same on the NAS and on my local hard drive. I will have to do some further testing to ensure it stays like this with a variety of movies but it played everything I threw at it fine. It also did passthrough for the DTS-HDMA audio on the rips (great for my sound system!). My Android boxes could play my DVD quality rips but could never play my Bluray rips without excessive buffering and frame drops. My camcorder footage consists of 1080p AVCHD files which all played perfectly. I have some sample HEVC and 3D footage on my local hard drive as well. HEVC footage played fine. No buffering or frame drops. 3D footage played fine as well, and my LG 3DTV immediately detected the 3D footage and switched to 3D. None of these sample files work on my Android MXQ (playing with Kodi). I have owned several different media players in the past (WDTV, Roku etc.) and this is the best media player I have ever purchased hands down.

Streaming: This box is fully loaded, so it comes preinstalled with addons and the repositories necessary to update them. The following addons are included:

Exodus- Streaming Movies and TV Shows in 1080p quality. Works fine. No buffering or cache issues and source loading is very quick.

Stream all the Sources - Streaming Movies and TV Shows in 1080p quality. Works fine. No buffering or cache issues and source loading is very quick.

Pro Sport - NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, NFL, Soccer, WWE, MMA, and Boxing streams from reddit. SD and HD quality.

Castaway - Same as above, streaming sports addons. More streams available for international sports.

1Channel - Streaming Movies and TV Shows. DVD Quality. Solid backup if Exodus and SALTS go down.

CanTVLive - Canadian channels. Very few channels available. Only working ones were Global, CPAC, and some other channels. TSN and Sportsnet are listed but not working. I don't care because the games are all available on Pro Sport and Castaway and TV shows are on Exodus. I do miss CP24 though.

Cartoon HD - Has all animated TV shows available for kids. Some streams are SD, some are HD. All good quality.

Cartoons8 - Cartoons and Dubbed and Subbed Anime. 720p HD. Excellent addon with all animated shows available.

CCloud TV - IPTV. Best channels I found were A&E, AMC, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, Discovery, ESPN, History, Nat Geo, Nick, CW and lots more. Constantly updated. Lots of international content as well.

Football Today - Recorded soccer games. All working. Quality is excellent. Games were updated.

Icefilms - Movies and TV shows streaming in both 480p and 720p. Very high quality addon.

NBA Full Games - Recorded NBA games. Updated. All working in 720p quality.

NBA on Demand - Same as above. A better UI though.

NBA League Pass - Access the NBA League Pass service. Paid. Subscription required.

NHL on Demand - Recorded NHL games. Updated. All working in 720p quality.

NHL Gamecenter Live - Access the NHL GameCenter Live. Subscription required. 1080p quality. If you have an account with Rogers, hover over the add-on and press the menu button (three line button). Then enter your Username and Password and select "Rogers Login".

NFL Game Pass - Access the NFL Game Pass service. Paid. Subscription required.

NJM Soccer - Watch live soccer games in HD. All leagues and country matches available. Very reliable.

Phoenix - A streaming community. A variety of great content. Movies, TV shows, sports and more. Would need a whole review just to describe Phoenix.

ToonMania - Cartoons and English Dubbed Anime. All working and in HD quality.

TwitchTV - Watch people play video games. 1080p.

UK Turk Playlists - Variety of IPTV links, including lots of British channels (BBC, ITV etc.) Also has Turkish channels streaming in HD.

WWE Online - Watch WWE and UFC recorded events. Updated. Most in HD.

Youtube - Working. 720p. For some reason Youtube works on this box and it doesn't work on my Android box (even though its updated on my Android box). Not sure if this is because of Openelec or the merchant has done something. Version number is different compared to Android. Anyways, it works perfectly.

IPTV Stalker PLUS - Paid IPTV Service. Access the NFPS, Rocket, and IPTV66 services here. HD and SD American and Canadian channels. Subscription required.

IPTVSubs - Paid IPTV Service. Access the IPTVsubs services here. HD American and Canadian channels. Subscription required.

Live Mix - Mix of US and UK channels. All excellent quality.

Livestream - Access the Livestream.com service. Free with a search feature.

Release HUB - Movies, TV Shows and Sports events. All SCENE releases. Get it from the source here.

Genesis: Specto - A fork of the famous Genesis add-on. 1080p Movies and TV shows. Works very well and a viable alternative if Exodus is down.

Sportsaccess.se - Paid live sports subscription service. 1080p quality. Subscription required.

The Music Source - Listen to the latest music. High quality MP3 and WMA streams.

UpBuzz - Watch scene releases. Movies and TV shows. 1080p quality streams.

Velocity - Watch Movies and TV shows. 1080p quality. Great Exodus alternative.

VidTime - Movies, TV shows, PPV and Sports events. Excellent, reliable addon.

USTVNOW Plus - Watch US Live TV. Free subsciption required. Basic cable channels working. You get free HD with your first 40 days of subscription. There are also paid options available for more channels and HD service after the first 40 days. You can also just make a new subscription after the 40 days to continue the HD streams. Free and legal.

Addon Installer - App Store for Kodi. Install new addons here.

Raw Maintenance - Maintenance for Kodi. You can clear your cache, purge packages, and clear thumbnail cache. Recommended every 2-3 months.

International Streaming

AzDRAMA.net - Asian TV Shows and Movies. Hong Kong, Mainland Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese movies and TV shows available. All in 720p quality. Both English and native titles. This addon is working 100% on this box in HD. Not working on other boxes though.

GLWiz - Iranian, Kurdish, Turkish, and Afghan channels. All solid 480p streams. Good quality.

Halow - Kurdish channels. All working, good quality (some HD).

Iran Live TV - Iranian channels. All working, good quality.

IsraeLive - Israeli Channels. All working. Excellent quality. Many in HD.

DramasOnline - Pakistani TV Shows. All networks available. Quality of shows is HD.

Einthusan - Hindi (Bollywood), Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada movies. All movies are HQ DVD rips with English subtitles. All working.

Hellenic TV - Greek TV. Channels are working in excellent quality.

Shahid Arabic - Streaming Arabic channels from a variety of sources. Quality depends on source. Ranges from OK to HD.

TV on DESI ZONE - Indian TV Shows. All networks available. Most shows in HD quality. (Tip: press the menu button on the episode you want to watch, it will open up the source list and you can then select HD sources)

Aftershock - Indian TV Shows and Movies. Multiple languages, including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Punjabi, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam and Kannada. All networks available. Most shows in HD quality. Very easy to use Genesis-style format.

Jagobd.com - Bengali Live TV Channels. 42 channels available. All in excellent SD quality.

Pak India Live - Live TV Channels. Pakistani, Indian, Afghan, Arabic, Bengali, Punjabi and many more languages available. MBC (popular Arabic channel) is available in HD. The add-on was down recently but it looks like its back up and better than ever.

ZemTV.com - Indian and Pakistani channels. All working in excellent quality.

Summary

This box streams much better than my Android MXQ box. Hands down. I don't know the reason why as the chips are the same. Maybe it is because of the Openelec software. I'm not sure. Almost no buffering on this box. No cache issues. No frame drops or stuttering with high bitrate streams. Wifi connection is solid. What I like about the box is that the addons all work and they are updated. My Android box came with so many non-working addons and broken repositories that I had to delete the preinstalled Kodi and start fresh. This box on the other hand comes with everything working. This box is also the best local and network media player I have ever owned. Well worth the $10 premium over the other MXQ Android boxes available on Amazon.

10/10

This thread is continued from the expired thread: amazon-mxq-openelec-tv-box-fully-loaded ... k-1976549/
Share:
122 replies
Apr 26, 2016
194 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hockeycraze12000 wrote: Obviously not the same, this is running Linux and not Android. Read the review.
I own 2 that I've purchased from the same seller. Running android 4.1.1.
Jarvis and star IPTV works fine. But hey, what do I know being an owner.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
RangerG wrote: I own 2 that I've purchased from the same seller. Running android 4.1.1.
Jarvis and star IPTV works fine. But hey, what do I know being an owner.
The one you linked to is running Android. The one the OP linked to is Openelec. It's not the same thing. It's like saying that a Windows box and an Android box are the same because it can run Kodi.
Nov 8, 2011
154 posts
34 upvotes
So for Openelec we pay $20 more! is it that good?
Apr 26, 2016
194 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
goofball wrote: The one you linked to is running Android. The one the OP linked to is Openelec. It's not the same thing. It's like saying that a Windows box and an Android box are the same because it can run Kodi.
My apologies.
Let me correct myself. The link I shared is an alternative to OP's post which considerably runs similar content while running a different OS.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
janitej wrote: So for Openelec we pay $20 more! is it that good?
My question for this would be, who maintains the Openelec build for this unit? And who provides updates when/if issues are found?
RangerG wrote: My apologies.
Let me correct myself. The link I shared is an alternative to OP's post which considerably runs similar content while running a different OS.
I had to do a doubletake myself, I wasn't sure that it actually was Openelec. That said, Openelec is a much leaner OS to run Kodi on than Android, and much less background info to bog it down. I much prefer Openelec except I'm not sure the MXQ Pro has a real stable version yet (suspend issues where it won't wake up, from what I have read so far) and I can't risk not having a stable version running when I'm not the only person that is using it.
Dec 9, 2013
609 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Is this box better than the Tronsmart MXIII MX3 Plus Android 5.1 Amlogic S812 Quad Core Android TV Box 4K XBMC/KODI 2GB/16GB for 100 bucks on Amazon?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10793 posts
5078 upvotes
I have the mxq and mxq pro with android 5.1.1
I have to say the mxq pro is the better of the 2 however if you power it off sometimes it glitches and netflix and youtube will say no internet connection and the box has to be reset and all set up again to work.
I have left it on without turning it off and after so long it goes into screen saver mode and all is fine.

With the mxq thats posted was also a good box however netflix cannot be updated as in the play store is says its not compatible with the box but the preloaded version works fine.
Also ctv go i like using and it will not work and gives an error saying that ctv go is not permitted for use on this type of device.
Nov 24, 2012
377 posts
205 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
Not bad that review !!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1486 posts
609 upvotes
London
I went with a Mini M8S instead since they're $42 CAD on eBay right now but I'm thinking I probably should have went for something with OpenELEC since they're faster and don't' get bogged down like the Android boxes. I have OpenELEC running on my Asus ChromeBox and it's great! Haven't really had any issues aside from the occasional freezing.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 19, 2009
77 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill
miscbrah1 wrote: Is this box better than the Tronsmart MXIII MX3 Plus Android 5.1 Amlogic S812 Quad Core Android TV Box 4K XBMC/KODI 2GB/16GB for 100 bucks on Amazon?
Yes better. My uncle bought the MX3 and he's had a lot of problems with it. He's switched to the Openelec MXQ and is satisfied, no problems.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 19, 2009
77 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill
blazed16 wrote: I have the mxq and mxq pro with android 5.1.1
I have to say the mxq pro is the better of the 2 however if you power it off sometimes it glitches and netflix and youtube will say no internet connection and the box has to be reset and all set up again to work.
I have left it on without turning it off and after so long it goes into screen saver mode and all is fine.

With the mxq thats posted was also a good box however netflix cannot be updated as in the play store is says its not compatible with the box but the preloaded version works fine.
Also ctv go i like using and it will not work and gives an error saying that ctv go is not permitted for use on this type of device.
Everything you wrote is irrelevant as this box runs on Linux and not Android. You're confusing this item with the Android MXQ.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 19, 2009
77 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WTFMAN wrote: Trying to use it with my IPTV emulator, but won't seem to load the portal.
Other IPTV portals loading fine.
I would switch over for sure because my current provider doesnt have Fairchild or Vietnamese channels.
Yes IPTVSubs only works on a MAG box or with the Kodi app. I believe they have disabled access with the emulator. I got a free trial that I ran with the Openelec box and it worked perfectly. Live HD channels on the cheap. All Canadian and US channels were available with international channels as well. Great service.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2945 posts
512 upvotes
North York
For a layman. Does it connect wireless or do I need a wired connection? Anything else I would need to connect to the TV besides the HDMI Cables?
[OP]
Banned
Apr 19, 2009
77 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sheriffabc wrote: For a layman. Does it connect wireless or do I need a wired connection? Anything else I would need to connect to the TV besides the HDMI Cables?
It connects to the internet wirelessly. You don't need anything else besides an HDMI cable, which is included.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14821 posts
3604 upvotes
I already have 2 GNP...very tempted to get this one for trying..
hockeycraze12000 wrote: It connects to the internet wirelessly. You don't need anything else besides an HDMI cable, which is included.
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sep 7, 2013
219 posts
32 upvotes
Montr
hockeycraze12000 wrote: Yes IPTVSubs only works on a MAG box or with the Kodi app. I believe they have disabled access with the emulator. I got a free trial that I ran with the Openelec box and it worked perfectly. Live HD channels on the cheap. All Canadian and US channels were available with international channels as well. Great service.
I actually got it to work after I checked the email.
Their tutorial on the site had an older portal, once updated to newer portal it worked fine.
Gonna stick with Android box with the emulatior
[OP]
Banned
Apr 19, 2009
77 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WTFMAN wrote: I actually got it to work after I checked the email.
Their tutorial on the site had an older portal, once updated to newer portal it worked fine.
Gonna stick with Android box with the emulatior
Nice. Did you get the free trial or a subscription? How is the service running for you?