Shopping Discussion

Amazon no free return shipping?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 5:53 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2005
580 posts
235 upvotes

Amazon no free return shipping?

I bought a thermos from Amazon as a gift except the person didn't want it. It will cost $14 to return it? I always thought that Amazon will pay for the return shipping.

I haven't returned many items back to Amazon, but I thought it was free. Did Amazon change their policies?
10 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 22, 2008
849 posts
84 upvotes
Just lie n click on didn’t met ur Expectation ,when asking why ur returning .
For sale /

scarborough/markham
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
They only pay for the shipping if it's their fault, or the item is defective/didn't work/bad quality.

You could lie and choose one of those reasons. Or find another use for the item
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2005
580 posts
235 upvotes
Thanks for the info. In all the years I have purchased from Amazon, I only returned two items. I got free shipping for both items.

I think I will keep the thermos for myself since I could use one. I won't lie and say it is defective since it would hurt the seller reputation.

I would be more careful buying things from Amazon. If I bought one from Canadian Tire, it would have be easier to return it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35085 posts
21052 upvotes
Center of Universe
Which reason did you select?
Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2019
415 posts
1125 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
tommygun216 wrote: Thanks for the info. In all the years I have purchased from Amazon, I only returned two items. I got free shipping for both items.

I think I will keep the thermos for myself since I could use one. I won't lie and say it is defective since it would hurt the seller reputation.

I would be more careful buying things from Amazon. If I bought one from Canadian Tire, it would have be easier to return it.
lol!, I think this only applies to u..... Everyone else gives an excuse and gets free return. What reputation? As long as you don't give them a one star rating, it should be fine. Its amazon, they will still profit billions even with all the returns. As long as you are not abusing the system, I don't see the problem with free returns once in a blue moon.
Newbie
Sep 14, 2020
11 posts
canada
tommygun216 wrote: I bought a thermos from Amazon as a gift except the person didn't want it. It will cost $14 to return it? I always thought that Amazon will pay for the return shipping.

I haven't returned many items back to Amazon, but I thought it was free. Did Amazon change their policies?
Always when you are returning a product, either select defective product received or missing parts or the product was damaged. It always works for me as I have returned a lot of products, most of the time it comes defective or I would change my mind after receiving it. It usually never cost extra to return it.
YS
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2005
580 posts
235 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: lol!, I think this only applies to u..... Everyone else gives an excuse and gets free return. What reputation? As long as you don't give them a one star rating, it should be fine. Its amazon, they will still profit billions even with all the returns. As long as you are not abusing the system, I don't see the problem with free returns once in a blue moon.
Well, I bought the thermos from a third party seller. When I was doing research on why I couldn't get free return shipping, I came upon this comment from the cnet website:

As an Amazon seller, I am disappointed in the first run of this article (at least you added "but accurately" to it). The lack of journalistic integrity in the original piece, effectively encouraging customers to select a return reason to avoid the return fees, was stunning. For those that are not familiar, selecting something like "item not as described" can be devastating to a small business seller. Amazon's automation "sees" this and often decides that the seller is a scammer and shuts down the account. It then takes days to weeks (all with no revenue and all while incurring Amazon fees) to prove that the seller is not a scammer.

That is why I am not going to select "defective product" to return when the thermos is not defective. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and rarely return anything since I always do my research before buying anything.
Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2019
415 posts
1125 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
tommygun216 wrote: Well, I bought the thermos from a third party seller. When I was doing research on why I couldn't get free return shipping, I came upon this comment from the cnet website:

As an Amazon seller, I am disappointed in the first run of this article (at least you added "but accurately" to it). The lack of journalistic integrity in the original piece, effectively encouraging customers to select a return reason to avoid the return fees, was stunning. For those that are not familiar, selecting something like "item not as described" can be devastating to a small business seller. Amazon's automation "sees" this and often decides that the seller is a scammer and shuts down the account. It then takes days to weeks (all with no revenue and all while incurring Amazon fees) to prove that the seller is not a scammer.

That is why I am not going to select "defective product" to return when the thermos is not defective. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and rarely return anything since I always do my research before buying anything.
Wow, that's really insightful. I learned something today; will definitely be more selective with my returns next time.

Top