Amazon package stolen today

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 10:56 am
Aug 5, 2005
281 posts
164 upvotes
futurecs wrote:
May 31st, 2019 4:12 am
First of all, I was at home. Second of all, they broke their policy. They are not supposed to leave a package at the door.
Sorry to tell you this but they do that all the time when I order from Amazon but the guy does ring the door bell, though if I'm not home the package is in front of my door. I'm knocking on wood because I have order lots of stuff from Amazon and not once have I not gotten my package . Oh yeah and I'm expecting a PC to be delivered sometime in the next week or so
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5177 posts
5072 upvotes
Vancouver
sunvv wrote:
May 31st, 2019 3:59 pm
This way of delivering is called “safe drop”.

I believe all carriers utilize this method to deliver the parcel.

Safe drop is not all inclusive, and is under the discretion of the delivery agent. Some delivery agents will safe drop some won’t.
+1 had a parcel that was "safe dropped" by Canada post, left on my townhouse doorstep in plain sight in a high traffic area for anyone to steal, which of course is what happened. I called the local depot and spoke to the supervisor, he apologized and said that the carrier on that route doesn't usually do that. He opened a ticket for me, which I passed on to the sender. Sender sent me a replacement item.

I haven't ordered anything online for delivery in quite a while, but I'm going to start specifying "any deliveries left on doorstep WILL be stolen and a loss claim will be made" when I order the item, or failing that I'm going to use Canada Post flex delivery.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8525 posts
4755 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
May 31st, 2019 3:13 pm
Gotta sit by the porch all day with a rocking chair, beer and shotgun.
Only if a double barrel or you got no game.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jul 20, 2017
46 posts
25 upvotes
This is so stupid. I hate seeing these pointless threads of "why didn't they make me sign it"

I promise you, if you contact Amazon and tell them the story, they will refund you or send you a new one no questions asked.

For many companies, it is cheaper for them to just deliver it and risk it being stolen and paying you your money back, instead of having a location you have to pick it up at.
Sep 6, 2016
658 posts
247 upvotes
Amazon told me to go to the police
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11378 posts
452 upvotes
I don't get packages from Dynamex very often, but one of the times I did, it said delivered when they hadn't really delivered it. Amazon couldn't even figure out the true status. They put a replacement order in, and the original order then turned up a week or more later - after the replacement order had already arrived.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4724 posts
724 upvotes
Lol UPS introduced their my delivery option where you can set the delivery of the item to the front, back, or side of the house. Even after specifying their system shows they deliver correctly but my package is still on my front door Lol.

As long as companies continue to allow these couriers to do this they can continue to reship or refund the loss. Eventually they'll feel the pain.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1853 posts
913 upvotes
I've had a few packages stolen. They do refund you. I try to use Flex Delivery as much as possible.

I sent Amazon an email asking them to tell the drivers to 1) not leave the packages in plain sight 2) don't leave the storm door ajar (this gets me so mad - they put the package between the front and storm door even though it does't fit so door is left open...f'ckin idiots 3) ring the door bell when they drop off the package if they see a car in teh driveway.

I once called out to driver after the left a package without ringing the door and told him he should have rang the door bell...next time he did.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
This is why OP has to build himself an enclosed porch or vestibule. Never had a lost package prolly due to having a large vestibule. OP, if you're prime member you can have amazon deliver to alternate location or other part of house.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5030 posts
3330 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone who owns a house should invest in a ring door bell or similar video camera system. Just makes sense.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6218 posts
870 upvotes
Your prayers for an outdoor camera have been answered - by Amazon!

Amazon Outdoor Camera

What a coincidence that they've come up with this.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13172 posts
1488 upvotes
Mississauga
woof wrote:
Jun 1st, 2019 11:44 pm
Your prayers for an outdoor camera have been answered - by Amazon!

Amazon Outdoor Camera

What a coincidence that they've come up with this.
This is nice no wire, no BS option.
Sep 18, 2009
239 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
Would marking packages as "do not leave at front door" work? I live in an apartment building and my hallway is quiet without any video surveillance so stuff goes missing that's marked as delivered all the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2724 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
sunvv wrote:
May 31st, 2019 3:54 pm
It’s funny. When carrier attempts to deliver while no one is at home, many people ask carrier to leave the parcel at door. when a parcel was left at the door and gone, people complain and say carrier is not supposed to do that.

That’s why I always refuse to safe drop for apartments and some houses even someone asking for it.
This wasn't the issue with the OP
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2724 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
Nyl wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 5:47 am
Would marking packages as "do not leave at front door" work? I live in an apartment building and my hallway is quiet without any video surveillance so stuff goes missing that's marked as delivered all the time.
No.

Things that I've had happen to myself:

Parcel that was shipped with sign on delivery just dropped by the door (even though it requires a person to sign for it and physically take it from them)

Parcel being delivered, I'm home, the guy doesn't even bother ringing the bell or knocking the door, and leaves a Canada Post pick-up card instead of attempting the delivery

Parcel being marked as delivered but the guy actually ends up bringing it the next day