Amazon package stolen today

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 10:56 am
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11992 posts
8027 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The ONLY time amazon will require a signature for a delivery is when it's a high valued item. Not sure the cut off but I'm thinking $1000+ as I have ordered something worth $500 and they just dropped it off at my door and when it was over $1000 signature was required.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11992 posts
8027 upvotes
Richmond Hill
webshark wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 11:41 am
You have to wonder how much money is being lost to thefts and what Amazon is going to do about it. Why bother going into a store to steal when you can just drive around and steal stuff and put it on Kijjiji. Cameras do nothing even if you have a perfect picture because the cops don't care and you get a slap on the wrist.
If it's a string of thefts with the same description the cops will look into it lol and yes these home security cameras are 99% useless since they can't even make out license plates.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8169 posts
1247 upvotes
Toronto
Very unfortunate and sorry about your predicament OP.
Obviously not all the couriers offer a pickup option at a post office, depot or access point that customers can opt for.
Hopefully Amazon will start giving shoppers the option to choose couriers, or you can try the PO box trick to have it delivered Canada post, more specifically to a post office outlet for pickup.
I wonder what I would do if I opened my door and found someone stealing my $300 package.
It might mean jailtime for me.
Sep 19, 2004
448 posts
118 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 2:11 am
Thanks for making online shopping inconvenient and pointless.

I am in an apartment building. All regular delivery people leave packages right outside the apartment doors in the hallway. It's actually crazy. I have seen packages stay there for days and not get stolen. The only times they don't seem to do that are when 1- Canada Post sends someone who doesn't know how it works here 2- UPS sends someone who doesn't even know how to get into the building 3- Amazon ships "dangerous" goods with Purolator 4- a signature is required. Although, today, Canada Post left a parcel that required a signature in the parcel locker.
That’s fine.

You are lucky I am not your carrier. I don’t care how other carriers do their job, for me No safe drop for apartments.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2441 posts
1026 upvotes
Edmonton
gh05t wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 12:56 pm
...you can try the PO box trick to have it delivered Canada post, more specifically to a post office outlet for pickup.
No PO Box trick is required any longer, just sign up for CP Flex Delivery or just choose an Amazon pick-up point.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5193 posts
5085 upvotes
Vancouver
Super strokey wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 10:16 am
The losers who steal these packages are just pathetic. I don't know how anyone could go around doing stuff like this. Every Christmas there is a bunch of stories about people following delivery trucks and stealing. God it makes me mad. Wtf is wrong with these people?
Well, what do you expect? People put refundable bottles and cans outside on the curb for collection and then complain that homeless people push around noisy shopping carts collecting them. Of course that's gonna happen. If people made habits of leaving little piles of nickels and dimes on their doorsteps, people would start taking that too. I have even had pansies stolen from the front of my house. Not potted, but planted in the flowerbed. Planted 12 of them, over the course of 3 weeks I'd find 1 or 2 dug up and stolen, until all 12 had been taken.

Packages with valuable contents left on doorsteps in plain sight for anyone to steal? I mean DUH. Of course they're going to get stolen. Yeah the people who do this are scum. But it's a fact of life. In fact I'm surprised that thefts from doorsteps isn't much more common. It only makes sense that with a multi-million dollar drop-n-dash delivery industry so widespread, that a multi-million dollar follow-that-truck-and-swipe-it "industry" that is just as widespread can't be far behind.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3500 posts
1487 upvotes
Some people will look out their peephole/window and wait for the courier to leave before they even open their door after the driver knocks on it.
Nov 16, 2010
194 posts
101 upvotes
Kitchener
I would suggest anyone having issues to add a note to their delivery address "Do Not Safe Drop."
Dec 6, 2012
292 posts
118 upvotes
Montréal, QC
dztraw wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:57 am
I would suggest anyone having issues to add a note to their delivery address "Do Not Safe Drop."
They don't care, I had a big bluetooth speaker ordered from BestBuy, it was written in big bold letter everywhere on the box "DO NOT SAFE DROP", guess what I went home after work and the parcel what on my porch, 4 feet above ground, highly visible from the street.
Nov 16, 2010
194 posts
101 upvotes
Kitchener
Magister wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:29 pm
They don't care, I had a big bluetooth speaker ordered from BestBuy, it was written in big bold letter everywhere on the box "DO NOT SAFE DROP", guess what I went home after work and the parcel what on my porch, 4 feet above ground, highly visible from the street.
I know they'll still do it, but if they do and the item gets stolen you won't be held responsible.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13763 posts
3999 upvotes
Montreal
1) Companies can and will cut corners to make their delivery service cheaper and more attractive to large companies.

2) These large companies like Amazon make use of them to save money.

3) You are legally owed your product, so if it gets stolen before you accept possession, someone either owes you the product or a refund.

4) This "safe drop" process continues because companies like Amazon save enough by contracting low-cost shippers like Dynamex to more than pay their insurance policy on lost or stolen goods.

5) Again, you are legally owed your product, so if it gets stolen before you accept possession, someone either owes you the product or a refund. Dropping it on your doorstep (with or without photo) is NOT legal acceptance. Otherwise the Dynamex driver could "safe drop" all his packages, snap pictures, then immediately steal them himself. Hence, a big reason why dropping a package on your step does not constitute legal acceptance of goods.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
Jun 8, 2019
67 posts
12 upvotes
GTA
futurecs wrote:
May 31st, 2019 4:12 am
First of all, I was at home. Second of all, they broke their policy. They are not supposed to leave a package at the door.
Not true. They are allowed to "Driver Release" the package at your door. This is all due to the fact the shipper did not pay for and specify "Signature Required" on the electronic waybill.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3047 posts
1788 upvotes
Vancouver
TylerOakville wrote:
May 31st, 2019 8:50 pm
This is so stupid. I hate seeing these pointless threads of "why didn't they make me sign it"

I promise you, if you contact Amazon and tell them the story, they will refund you or send you a new one no questions asked.

For many companies, it is cheaper for them to just deliver it and risk it being stolen and paying you your money back, instead of having a location you have to pick it up at.
Actually it depends on how big of an order you make. There is a threshold as in if your order is above a certain value, amazon will actually do an investigation and it could be a pain. Of course for smaller orders (and $300 isn’t exact a big order), amazon generally will write it off unless you have a long history of missing packages.

Generally speaking, if I order anything above $500 online, I generally use a flex address if it’s canada post. For amazon I generally ask for pick up option or for them to ship via Canada post (again to use flex). This is despite having a security camera setup. Easier to pick up my packages from a local post office vs wasting time dealing with a stolen package even if it’s say one in 100.

The odd packages that get left at my door when no one is home, I generally call my neighbor (who is retired) to pick it up for me.
Aug 5, 2005
283 posts
165 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 12:43 am
I generally ask for pick up option or for them to ship via Canada post (again to use flex). This is despite having a security camera setup. Easier to pick up my packages from a local post office vs wasting time dealing with a stolen package even if it’s say one in 100.
That's what I just did. I bought some cameras were I'm having them ship to the post office easier and safer, though I am lucky I have never had any of my items stolen, knocking of wood
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28393 posts
1182 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
the last little while, I've been doing a fair bit of distance deals., all successful. my shipper never skipped a heart-beat.

I sent a guy some heavy auto parts into York. the tracking pops up, all good. The guy messages me saying his wife was home, didn't come to the door soon enough & the pkgs are nowhere to be seen. I'm like, Jesus, are you kidding me. what luck. thankfully I had included sufficient insurance, so this was going to be just a practice in administrative procedure, but annoyance just the same. I was at CT buying our youngest a bike, so told him I would get back, but this was what he had to do. Contact the shipper & initiate an investigation. Got home, looked at the scan of the signature & then messaged him saying who is 'so and so'? At the same time he called me and said, My NEIGHBOUR SIgned for it he had it! LOL. Really? I chuckled.

Secondly, my colleague has stuff dropped off on her doorstep routinely. Non issues. Additionally the couriers are now taking a photo of the box on her doorstep & sending it in an email. Very cool. I'm guessing not all couriers are that hip-to-the-game?

Good luck!
PayTM - $70
PC OPT: $3953 Ebates: $59.70
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day