Shopping Discussion

Amazon posts pics of package delivery - fraud prevention??

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2019 12:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11953 posts
1718 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Amazon posts pics of package delivery - fraud prevention??

Not sure if this is new... but just received an amazon prime delivery overnite - less than one day shipping (took 12hrs actually Smiling Face With Sunglasses) and in the tracking details it has a pic of the package right by the front door. I'm guessing for proof of delivery with all the fraud of "missing or delayed packages". Never had this in prior amzn purchases, whether delivered by amzn, CP, Fedex, or any1 else.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
32 replies
Mar 29, 2015
226 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
In Ottawa I've had this done for a while now when they use Intelcom. I'm sure it's for proof of delivery but they tend to leave it out in the open where anyone can pass by a swipe it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1389 posts
577 upvotes
London
its not amazon who is doing it. its Intelcom they been doing it for over a year now. when they delver they either get you to sign for the package or the take a picture showing ware they left the package.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1216 posts
935 upvotes
Maple Ridge
how does this prevention anything?
Dec 7, 2012
785 posts
318 upvotes
Ontario
Dreamrider wrote:
May 31st, 2019 2:03 am
Doesn't prevent anything but no doubt discourages 'item not received' friendly fraud. Legally though the picture proves nothing and they'd lose if you disputed the payment.
Lots of smaller couriers seem to do this (AMZN, Ziing, Loomis...) but I don't think any of the big guys do (UPS, Fedex, Canpost...)

At least in my area, a lot of the time the delivery guys don't even bother with the picture and just mark it as "Handed to resident" even though they threw it on the porch and didn't even ring the bell *shrug*
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9144 posts
6459 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya not going to prevent anything
Just proves that it was “technically” delivered / in place
(Lol if even just for a minute ... as per the above video)

We try to limit the pkgs in our life that are just “dropped / delivery”
Either by utilizing Canada Post Flex Delivery
Or using Courier Companies where a signature is required

Thinking tho with all the Doorstep Thefts that have come along with Online Shopping
(Plenty of news stories, on how these thieves just follow delivery trucks in residential areas)
I can see where the locked household parcel drop boxes are going to become more popular over time

Although if I ever did buy one, i’d be looking for a model that could be drilled / bolted in place thru the base into the floor .. preferably concrete stoop
(In the same way that household safes work)
The standard metal lock boxes, or DIY locked deck boxes ... just IMO invite thieves to carry off the whole shebang
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2364 posts
932 upvotes
Edmonton
Dreamrider wrote:
May 31st, 2019 2:03 am
Proves it was delivered to the right place.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2364 posts
932 upvotes
Edmonton
ironchefff wrote:
May 31st, 2019 8:45 am
Somebody's getting fired.

Pretty sure that you can't take a crap any more without the possibility that it will show up somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9144 posts
6459 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
starchoice wrote:
May 31st, 2019 9:05 am
Somebody's getting fired.

Pretty sure that you can't take a crap any more without the possibility that it will show up somewhere.
Oh the irony...
Caught on camera while trying to beat the game with a camera
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16619 posts
4294 upvotes
Toronto
They need to stop leaving packages outside the door. Simple as that. This does not prevent anyone walking by to take it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1541 posts
554 upvotes
London
An additional issue I have with it is that they tend to place the package so they can get a good photo.
That means placing it so it is more visible rather than hiding it the best they can, such as behind an object (planter, etc.)
The goal seems to be a good photo, rather than a good delivery.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1652 posts
343 upvotes
Montreal
it's just Amazon's excuse to use their S3 service.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15641 posts
5859 upvotes
I would be curious if the picture is sufficient proof for your credit card issuer to decline a chargeback if the item is subsequently stolen. That would be my concern.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4951 posts
4866 upvotes
Vancouver
carmaster wrote:
May 31st, 2019 9:14 am
They need to stop leaving packages outside the door. Simple as that. This does not prevent anyone walking by to take it.
I agree. I used to work as a courier years ago and hand delivering the item and obtaining a signature was mandatory. If the recipient wasn't home we had to get them on the phone and get their permission to push the item through the mail slot. Leaving the item on the doorstep or even in an unsecured mailbox was unthinkable. It's sad to see how this has changed. I made a thread complaining about this before and got more downvotes than upvotes. Many RFDers seem to love having packages left unattended on their doorsteps.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?