None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3054 posts
1657 upvotes
Edmonton

Amazon Pre-Order

Does anyone have any insight into the mechanics of pre-orders? I see two possible scenarios: 1) Amazon gets in a shipment, knows how many they have and then releases the units to purchasers on the release date or 2) they are just promised a shipment which should arrive by release date and just take orders based on the expected shipment to them. Either way, they should know in advance if they are able to fulfill an order for a pre-order when that item has been ordered two months in advance.

What is the purpose of doing a pre-order if you cannot get the item on release date?

This is the second time I have pre-ordered - pretty well same scenario both times. What happens is that on release date the item goes "not in stock" and temporarily unavailable and they need more time to provide an estimated date. Well, if I order in advance, either one should be reserved for me or the supplier would surely have advised Amazon when they will be getting additional stock.

The first time was weird because as I was checking stock, one somehow came available so I called them and they couldn't explain. They had me cancel the original order and create a new one.
7 replies
Nov 27, 2005
215 posts
2 upvotes
Don't forget if you are not prime or paying for same day delivery you won't get it on the release date (they tend to hold the item before they ship it out to promote that prime service) unless you complain to them about it.
Aug 16, 2006
605 posts
160 upvotes
Calgary
Amazon has been driving me nuts with this. For example, I pre-ordered Kingdom Hearts 2.5 months & months ago. I did not use any sort of promo, so I am paying the full price. The game was released on December 2, and there is still no sign of it shipping. I had the same happen with Smash Bros., but at least I got that one for $35, so I can't complain there.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14245 posts
1137 upvotes
When you pre-order there is a note about arrival date. For example lets look at the pre-order for "Fury"

http://www.amazon.ca/Fury-Bilingual-Blu ... words=fury

It's release date is January 27th. There is a note which reads "Want to receive this the day it comes out? Select Two-Day Shipping shipping at checkout."

So that means if you want to receive it on the release date, you will need to choose 2 day shipping, NOT free shipping.

When you order they give you an estimate date of arrival. There are lots of people here that will say "ohh they are holding free shipping to make you buy prime". They are not really doing that, they are simply shipping the ones that have a sooner ETA out before the later ones. Your estimate will be fairly accurate and they will ship it out in time to meet it.

This is assuming they are given accurate info from their supplier. If they get short changed on an item that really isn't their fault.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Nov 27, 2005
215 posts
2 upvotes
Ojam wrote: When you pre-order there is a note about arrival date. For example lets look at the pre-order for "Fury"

http://www.amazon.ca/Fury-Bilingual-Blu ... words=fury

It's release date is January 27th. There is a note which reads "Want to receive this the day it comes out? Select Two-Day Shipping shipping at checkout."

So that means if you want to receive it on the release date, you will need to choose 2 day shipping, NOT free shipping.

When you order they give you an estimate date of arrival. There are lots of people here that will say "ohh they are holding free shipping to make you buy prime". They are not really doing that, they are simply shipping the ones that have a sooner ETA out before the later ones. Your estimate will be fairly accurate and they will ship it out in time to meet it.

This is assuming they are given accurate info from their supplier. If they get short changed on an item that really isn't their fault.
What would be the reason for them shipping out the item to prime members who order the item on the release date before people who pre-order the item ?

Even instock item; I had amazon holding said item for about a week before they shipped it out which makes no sense. (and its not a credit card issue since it was paid by their gift card)
Two day shipping and Free Shipping in terms of traveling time is the same for me since I live close to their warehouse (its gets here the next day when they do ship it).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3054 posts
1657 upvotes
Edmonton
My pre-order released today now has an estimated delivery date in January (automated e-mail), contrary to what the rep told me when I e-mailed, I was told that I should have a ship notice by December 12th.

This is bad communication on Amazon's part and not what I consider a pre-order for getting a copy on release date. If the supplier short-changed them, they should say so in advance of the release date because they know how many orders they have and how many copies they need. Amazon.com has the item in stick, no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6309 posts
970 upvotes
You seem to have a problem with pre-orders so don't use them. Wait until Amazon or whoever actually has stock on hand. There, your problem is solved. You're welcome.
Banned
Dec 9, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Shipping pre-orders are definitely in the hands of amazon but it is not possible for them to ship the same until they get the delivery from the factory. My pre-order has also released but there is no sign of shipping as of today. So, wait for the optimum time.