Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4269 posts
3125 upvotes
Edmonton

Amazon and Pre-releases

Amazon seems to do a pretty crappy job of pre-release orders. Ordered a book with a pre-release date of today. You would think that at minimum, the book would be shipped today. Amazon started their business with books. Chapters has it in-stock online. You would think that with pre-orders, they would know exactly how many to have on hand.

Checked today and the book has gone from Temporarily Out of Stock to Currently Unavailable.

Doesn’t even make sense that yesterday, it was available to pre-order and today, you can’t even order it.

Any item on pre-order should also state if it will be out-of-stock on release date given that Amazon has real-time stock numbers.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3657 posts
2335 upvotes
London
starchoice wrote: Amazon seems to do a pretty crappy job of pre-release orders. Ordered a book with a pre-release date of today. You would think that at minimum, the book would be shipped today. Amazon started their business with books. Chapters has it in-stock online. You would think that with pre-orders, they would know exactly how many to have on hand.

Checked today and the book has gone from Temporarily Out of Stock to Currently Unavailable.

Doesn’t even make sense that yesterday, it was available to pre-order and today, you can’t even order it.

Any item on pre-order should also state if it will be out-of-stock on release date given that Amazon has real-time stock numbers.
i've had movie and video game pre orders that they didn't ship out till 2 months after the release date because amazon never ordered any in to fill the pre orders. pre orders with amazon are pretty much pointless unless its a very popular item that alot of people are ordering they don't always bother to order it in to fill the pre orders.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12728 posts
7896 upvotes
Markham
starchoice wrote: Amazon seems to do a pretty crappy job of pre-release orders. Ordered a book with a pre-release date of today. You would think that at minimum, the book would be shipped today. Amazon started their business with books. Chapters has it in-stock online. You would think that with pre-orders, they would know exactly how many to have on hand.

You just make me curious which book is so popular?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4269 posts
3125 upvotes
Edmonton
smartie wrote: You just make me curious which book is so popular?
Ha, ha! Intentionally avoided mentioning particulars because 1) it’s not relevant to the topic, 2) it will create multiple downvotes & rude comments and 3) thread topic would be derailed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7100 posts
7596 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I'm pretty sure I 100% know what book it is >_>

Generally yes Amazon is terrible with release-date shipping but there could be other factors at play here. For example it looks like Barnes & Noble doesn't even have it at all their stores yet and I don't think Amazon.com actually has it in-stock either.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1309 posts
876 upvotes
London, On
Is it the niece's book? The uncle probably bought them all lol
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1221 upvotes
When you do a preorder on Amazon they tell you the ETA, I do find this ETA to be accurate. What did the ETA say for delivery? It will also tell you the shipping method needed to use to meet that ETA.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5219 posts
2481 upvotes
Winnipeg
I pre-order records and I still have some pre-orders outstanding from May. If it's not a popular item, they take their sweet time bringing them in. Sometimes, my records get shipped out of the Seattle warehouse because they don't order them for Canada at all.
This isn't a blog.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4269 posts
3125 upvotes
Edmonton
Ojam wrote: When you do a preorder on Amazon they tell you the ETA, I do find this ETA to be accurate. What did the ETA say for delivery? It will also tell you the shipping method needed to use to meet that ETA.
No, “delivery date pending”, “we’ll e-mail you when we have a delivery date”.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4269 posts
3125 upvotes
Edmonton
djeffery wrote: Is it the niece's book? The uncle probably bought them all lol
Some dumbass downvoted already because of your post, lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25711 posts
22523 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
starchoice wrote: Amazon seems to do a pretty crappy job of pre-release orders...
If the situation you relate happened to me then I'd (a) let the order stand AND (b) download a copy from a "pirate" site.

My conscience would remain clear since I'm paying for a copy regardless, thus no one is losing anything as a result of my "piracy."
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12728 posts
7896 upvotes
Markham
Why not just cancel it and get one from indigo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4269 posts
3125 upvotes
Edmonton
smartie wrote: Why not just cancel it and get one from indigo
Amazon price is way cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4269 posts
3125 upvotes
Edmonton
Update: item is now showing in stock on July 22nd but I still have not received a shipping/delivery date.
Feb 18, 2012
884 posts
522 upvotes
Victoria
Amazon is useless with preorders especially limited items, this has been well known for a long time. Part of the reason they don't charge you until they ship.
They just list everything even if they are 99% sure they will never get the item.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)