Shopping Discussion

Was Amazon Prime Day worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2018 3:20 pm

Poll: Was Amazon Prime Day worth it?

• Total votes: 184. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

29%
No

40%
Don't Know

11%
Waste of time

19%
Best ever

0%
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
953 upvotes
YK

Was Amazon Prime Day worth it?

After Amazon Prime Day, did you get great deals? Was last year's Prime Day better? Can you find the same deals elsewhere?
50 replies
Jul 4, 2013
190 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Couldn't even get access to the site for the first few hours, by then anything I would have wanted was long gone. I'm not sure if they even mentioned or apologized for the technical issues.

Got pissed off and said the hell with them. Doesn't look like I missed much.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
it was garbage.

barely any good deals. lots of sale prices actually higher than average sale prices.

too many website glitches. heck the first 3 hours was filled with outages. even later in the night there was still issues.

rep had no idea how to handle the situation. they were all over the place.

lots of product issues with pricing.

some bait and switches such as the instant pot going down in price.

Overall, it was a very frustrating prime day this year. I am turned off of it for now...
Jun 6, 2013
302 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Best sale ever if you love buying Chinese alibaba junk or if Canadian Tire is your favorite store.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14169 posts
3208 upvotes
The loudest voices were those complaining about it in the thread.

Everyone else was buying stuff.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2622 posts
1116 upvotes
Right of the start some excellent prices on Dewalt and Makita products. Pair of Dewalt 205 amp batteries for 127 + 5x aeroplan miles, great deal!!

Might be an idea to set up the sale the same way as boxing day. This would limit the complaining, allow interested shoppers to focus on what they need instead of reading
Best sale ever if you love buying Chinese alibaba junk or if Canadian Tire is your favorite store.
:facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
JuniorMint wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 11:04 am
it is funny because one of the items i looked at was reg 20, on for 15 for prime day only. sells for $5 at Canadian Tire. lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
Over the course of few Prime Days from the past few years, this is not the best one, but not the worst one either. The first Prime day is still the worst one and the second Prime Day is still the best one. I guess the second Prime Day offers the best selection because they got too many complains from the first one. However, the selection keeps downgrade year by year now.

For this year, selection is just ok and discount is fair, but I believe Amazon can do better.
(1) Please do not keep repeating the same hot pick deal year by year. It is good to include them next year, but don't put them as hot pick again next year. I don't need to buy one Instant Pot every year.

(2) More generic discount deal from different categories to cover the taste of different customers. It is funny that Amazon does good on this in other festival days like fathers day, Christmas, etc ... but not doing this much during Prime Day. The generic discount should cover large group of products within the target category, not just few pages of old or obsolete items.

(3) The price from Prime Day shouldn't play with dynamic pricing. Offering the lowest price within the past year or beginning of the year is a "MUST". I have seen many marketplace sellers are selling higher price during the Prime day. Depending on the category, discount should be minimum of 25% (from a real regular price, not inflated price) unless the products have never offered discount anywhere else (I believe these type products may never exist). Discount less than 20% is meaningless to most of the products.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18913 posts
2221 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I would have voted yes had I not decided to sleep on my mattress one more night before deciding if I needed a new one or not. By the next morning the mattress I was going to purchase was out of stock. Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
This year is the first year Amazon is trying to start the Prime Day at the same time from different countries. However, it probably puts too much loads on the server. It didn't happen in the past few years because every countries starts the Prime Day on its own time which is spread the load much better this way.
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 11:01 am
it was garbage.

barely any good deals. lots of sale prices actually higher than average sale prices.

too many website glitches. heck the first 3 hours was filled with outages. even later in the night there was still issues.

rep had no idea how to handle the situation. they were all over the place.

lots of product issues with pricing.

some bait and switches such as the instant pot going down in price.

Overall, it was a very frustrating prime day this year. I am turned off of it for now...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
Evil Baby wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 12:40 pm
I would have voted yeshad I not decided to sleep on my mattress one more night before deciding if I needed a new one or not. By the next morning the mattress I was going to purchase was out of stock. Oh well.
ya snooze ya lose Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18913 posts
2221 upvotes
Niagara Falls
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 12:42 pm
ya snooze ya lose Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
sad thing is, it wasn't even a good snooze. :(
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 11:45 am
The loudest voices were those complaining about it in the thread.

Everyone else was buying stuff.
...and these same voices will be back to complain next year...and the one after....and the one after...etc... until Amazon sells $10 TV's and $20 Nintendos these people are clearly expecting and entitled to.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Dec 24, 2011
641 posts
216 upvotes
I don't know what people expect, Prime Day isn't new anymore where they need to have a bunch of 'doorbusters' to try and get traction and market Prime Day. It's an established event now, as we saw with Ebay and other companies releasing their own promos on the same day. I was happy with it, and i'm sure the majority of other people were as well.

No, it didn't have any 'buy now, think later' items', that for the majority of people would just resell for a profit because they wouldn't actually use it. IMO, it was a lot more practical than previous Prime Days with a larger selection of everyday items. My electric toothbrush died the day before Prime Day, so I was able to save ~$45 with the $25 amazon cash promo + $20 prime day savings on a new one.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
cstriker045 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 1:07 pm
I don't know what people expect, Prime Day isn't new anymore where they need to have a bunch of 'doorbusters' to try and get traction and market Prime Day. It's an established event now, as we saw with Ebay and other companies releasing their own promos on the same day. I was happy with it, and i'm sure the majority of other people were as well.

No, it didn't have any 'buy now, think later' items', that for the majority of people would just resell for a profit because they wouldn't actually use it. IMO, it was a lot more practical than previous Prime Days with a larger selection of everyday items. My electric toothbrush died the day before Prime Day, so I was able to save ~$45 with the $25 amazon cash promo + $20 prime day savings on a new one.
I feel like the deals were more individual than before. You're right, there wasn't really an amazing mass-market 50% off all video game consoles deal or something like that, but I found there were a few things that were worthwhile if you dug around. Picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue shoes for $140 - 30%, for example.