• Mar 4th, 2019 9:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3954 posts
2246 upvotes
Ottawa

Amazon prime, do mom/dad need two subscriptions

If we want to order things without asking the other to order for us, and not share say my login.

Does my wife need her own amazon prime account? Even if we live in the same household? What do other people do. Just share their login?

I have a amazon USA prime membership as well, I can add her there to amazon family, but don't think that helps in terms of the Canadian membership.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1423 posts
1103 upvotes
British Columbia
Sometimes ask a family member to buy something for me, either get them to login and I take it from there or I send them a link and they do it themselves. I usually just wait for stuff to arrive with my regular Amazon account. Having two subscriptions in the same household is dumb.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3954 posts
2246 upvotes
Ottawa
Have a newborn so she's constantly ordering stuff.

Historically she emails me stuff to order, or orders herself. But for example her shipping today was 12 bucks on something she ordered.. Adds up. Not sure why she had a shipping fee.. Maybe ordered next day.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1409 posts
3229 upvotes
shylok wrote: If we want to order things without asking the other to order for us, and not share say my login.
What are you ordering you don't want your wife to see?
Promise I won't tell

No there is no way to share Amazon Prime - it's an individual subscription

Either share your login and add her credit card and she can use that when she's uses it or pay for 2
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2255 posts
1831 upvotes
Hamilton
shylok wrote: Have a newborn so she's constantly ordering stuff.

Historically she emails me stuff to order, or orders herself. But for example her shipping today was 12 bucks on something she ordered.. Adds up. Not sure why she had a shipping fee.. Maybe ordered next day.
Pretty impressive for a newborn.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3954 posts
2246 upvotes
Ottawa
CaptainCrash wrote: Pretty impressive for a newborn.
Lol. They start early these days. I walked into the living room just earlier, and mom had him sitting beside her and they were both attentively looking at the laptop screen, ordering away on amazon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3954 posts
2246 upvotes
Ottawa
FARMERBLANCHE wrote: What are you ordering you don't want your wife to see?
Promise I won't tell
Lol I thought about that. Nothing just occasional gifts for her would be compromised. But if she see's all that I buy when I do.. Pft it's like inviting a CRA audit.. I'll get shouted at for every shiny gizmo I order,before I get it. Heck she'll have cancel powers...

That's alot to give a woman...(mine anyways) It's almost worth the separate fee for me on that alone..
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18693 posts
21367 upvotes
GTA
Share the account. I don't need to justify my purchases to my wife, but I'm the one who's responsible with money.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Feb 8, 2014
934 posts
488 upvotes
YVR
shylok wrote: Lol I thought about that. Nothing just occasional gifts for her would be compromised. But if she see's all that I buy when I do.. Pft it's like inviting a CRA audit.. I'll get shouted at for every shiny gizmo I order,before I get it. Heck she'll have cancel powers...

That's alot to give a woman...(mine anyways) It's almost worth the separate fee for me on that alone..
Don't forget that women are on RFD as well. Having said that, I feel the same way about my hubby scrutinizing everything I buy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3954 posts
2246 upvotes
Ottawa
prmetime wrote: Don't forget that women are on RFD as well. Having said that, I feel the same way about my hubby scrutinizing everything I buy.
Yes you're right haha.. Giving that vision to any partner could be troublesome.

Annoyingly I can't find a way to gift her a membership..
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13970 upvotes
FARMERBLANCHE wrote: What are you ordering you don't want your wife to see?
There are adult things on Amazon....
CaptainCrash wrote: Pretty impressive for a newborn.
Just wait a few years. They'll be yelling at Alexa to send more toys.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1696 posts
1403 upvotes
Halifax
We have Amazon Prime - in my name but there are two University students in the family- so I think it is student prime rate.

So most of the textbooks etc go out from the mother ship ( Home address ) to one of two Universities ( different provinces ).
The prime has a discount on texts which is fantastic as many of them are in the $ 200 range and new editions.

If my husband needs something he just lets me know.

I see him looking but he usually finds it and just says " order two of these " ( these are mainly odd mechanical things, fans etc.. that he needs for projects ).

So there is one account and 5 addresses depending on who needs it. Home, Uni 1, Uni 2 and Summer work address (2) - for care packages etc...

It is sometimes cheaper to have free shipping from Amazon rather than send odds and ends from the house.

What I might do is give a budget - for example ... $ 200 a month on stuff.
A fan of RFD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)