Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15634 posts
575 upvotes

Amazon refund taking way too long - terrible experience

I purchased a DSLR camera on March 29th and decided I wanted to upgrade it to a different camera on May 5th, just a few days outside the return window. I contacted Amazon support and they allowed me to do this return which is major kudos to them, but I'm still waiting for the refund to be credited and not sure why.

They received the camera back on May 9th, my refund entered processing on May 12th and was told I would have my refund in 2-3 business days. It is now June 8th and having contacted Amazon support seven additional times, I keep being told to wait an additional 1-2 business days and they have no idea why it's stuck in processing. It's been 19 business days and I have no idea what's going on with my refund.

Quick timeline of events:

* 3/29 - purchased camera
* 3/31 - was issued partial refund due to price changing shortly after purchasing ($11.27)
* 5/5 - contacted Amazon support to see if they'd allow a return a week after refund period is over, they said yes
* 5/7 - mailed camera back
* 5/9 - tracking shows Amazon received my camera
* 5/12 - I get an e-mail saying my refund is being processed and to wait 2-3 business days for it to be credited to my bank account
* 5/19 - don't have refund, contacted Amazon support who told me to contact my bank to see if it was an error on their end, I do so the same day and told no refund was posted
* 5/20 - contacted Amazon again, told me my issue was escalated and to wait 3-5 business days. They told me my refund was "stuck due to the tax services" (???)
* 5/25 - contacted Amazon again, told me it was resolved and I'll have my refund in 1-2 business days
* 5/27 - contacted Amazon again, told me my refund was cancelled on May 20th because "it was posted in error", they said my refund is reprocessed and to wait 1-2 business days
* 5/31 - contacted Amazon again, told me to wait an additional 2-3 business days
* 6/4 - contacted Amazon again, told me to wait an additional 1-2 business days
* 6/8 - contacted Amazon again, told me they've made a "trouble ticket" and it would be resolved in 2-3 business days. This is the first time I've received a ticket number and where to check its status. The CSR said my refund was again reprocessed

Each time I contacted support, I was told with absolute certainty I'd have my refund within the time window they gave and that they would follow up when the time frame they gave elapsed (they never did). I've kept chat transcripts for when/if I decide to dispute with my bank except the communication on 6/4 as I figured I'd try phoning to see if it'd get the job done.
28 replies
May 18, 2007
798 posts
1385 upvotes
Toronto
My last two experiences with Amazon customer support has been that they are very much useless... they offer endless platitudes and apologies for Amazon mistake - they'll even promise to personally look after the situation... but nothing is actually done.

My impression now is that Amazon cust service folks will *say anything* to get a satisfactory rating at the end of the session. It's a shame that what used to be stellar customer service has become a joke.
May 5, 2009
616 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow, you're very patient, I would've disputed the charge with the credit card company by now. Time to call the card issuer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15634 posts
575 upvotes
VancityAcura wrote: Wow, you're very patient, I would've disputed the charge with the credit card company by now. Time to call the card issuer.
The thing is that my bank gave me a 90 day time frame for when a dispute will see my refund in my hands. In the past, Amazon refunds have been 1-2 days, so I'm hoping to save time and have Amazon pull through. If Amazon did reprocess it today, I'd see it by end of week instead of 78 days from now (had I disputed when I could).
canada_dry wrote: My last two experiences with Amazon customer support has been that they are very much useless... they offer endless platitudes and apologies for Amazon mistake - they'll even promise to personally look after the situation... but nothing is actually done.

My impression now is that Amazon cust service folks will *say anything* to get a satisfactory rating at the end of the session. It's a shame that what used to be stellar customer service has become a joke.
I will say they are very convincing when it comes to their politeness. That's their training in work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5650 posts
3568 upvotes
I had an experience similar to yours, except my return was within the return period.

First 5-6 weeks, I talked to about 10-15 reps through chat, and twitter.
Their replies were: wait 1-2 business days, it will be refunded on Monday, wait 1-2 weeks, I opened an investigation and they will contact you etc. All BS.

I got tired of their crap, and filed a dispute with RBC.

A few weeks later, Amazon sends me an email asking me to give them information regarding this dispute. I explain the situation.
A few more weeks after that, they send the same freaking email again. I tell them to read my previous response. Someone replies saying they will look into it.

About a month later, they send another email, this time saying they put a hold on my account because of the dispute, and want me to pay them for the disputed amount. I reply to that email, explain the situation, they send the same *****ing email again.

Then I emailed Jeff Bezos, subject: "Incompetent Customer Service", at 1~ am, CC'd those *****ers. Issue resolved within 2 hours. :facepalm: 4~ months + 2 hours.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1023 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Then I emailed Jeff Bezos, subject: "Incompetent Customer Service", at 1~ am, CC'd those *****ers. Issue resolved within 2 hours. :facepalm: 4~ months + 2 hours.
This.

http://www.dallasnews.com/investigation ... a-boss.ece

http://gizmodo.com/jeff-bezos-if-you-ha ... 1724561248

He hasa team that responds directly to customer complaints, however it's a bandaid solution that doesn't replace good first tier support.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5061 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
I usually get my refunds within a week of sending it back but I'd escalate the issue with your credit card provider right away.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
hope you get your refund asap Setz
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15142 posts
6537 upvotes
Ottawa
that sounds pretty bad....good to know. I got my refund within a day after they received my camera. Go figure.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6422 posts
1083 upvotes
I sent back a router that wasn't working. I dropped it off at the Post Office and had my refund next day. Amazon was tracking the W/B number for the return and as soon as Canada Post logged the item as in their possession Amazon processed the credit to my card. I was surprised since they didn't even wait to actually get the item back.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5650 posts
3568 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: that sounds pretty bad....good to know. I got my refund within a day after they received my camera. Go figure.
woof wrote: I sent back a router that wasn't working. I dropped it off at the Post Office and had my refund next day. Amazon was tracking the W/B number for the return and as soon as Canada Post logged the item as in their possession Amazon processed the credit to my card. I was surprised since they didn't even wait to actually get the item back.
Yes, they are pretty quick to refund, and they refund some orders before they even receive the item back.
But when something doesn't work the way it's supposed to, like OP's and my return, they are even worse than Bhell customer service.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15634 posts
575 upvotes
I e-mailed Amazon CEO and 19 hours later my problem was resolved. :)
Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
woof wrote: I sent back a router that wasn't working. I dropped it off at the Post Office and had my refund next day. Amazon was tracking the W/B number for the return and as soon as Canada Post logged the item as in their possession Amazon processed the credit to my card. I was surprised since they didn't even wait to actually get the item back.
That has always been my experience. Except for one occasion when they waited until they received the item to refund, always been processed the day the item was scanned as mailed. At times they have even told me not to return the item at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5691 posts
7123 upvotes
Amazon CSRs used to be very good. However, it is not the case anymore. I'm not saying all CSRs are useless, but I can say at least 50% of the CSRs just verbally making up the excuse for the problem and want you to go away. Your problem is not actually resolved and it keeps bounce from one CSR to another CSR. If you get a good CSR, your problem will be revolved in the next day (maybe even within few hours).

In Op's case, most likely it is the technical glitches causing the hold of the refund process. I have similar experience, but not on the refund. It is on the status update of the orders. My order got stuck on the shipping process. The first CSR just helped me upgrade the shipping method and then the status got updated. However, it actually didn't work since my order had never dispatched. The second CSR knew the actual problem and helped me submit a TT to the IT department. Within few hours, my problem got resolved.

Btw, if you encounter this kind of problem and already chat with 2 or 3 CSRs, you should post the problem from Amazon Facebook and get additional help. It seems they are taking more serious from Facebook.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
Setz wrote: I e-mailed Amazon CEO and 19 hours later my problem was resolved. :)
What is his email?
Apr 18, 2008
353 posts
99 upvotes
I had a similar experience. I waited and waited. 2 months later, I filed for a chargeback with my credit card company.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5650 posts
3568 upvotes
lcmt wrote: In Op's case, most likely it is the technical glitches causing the hold of the refund process. I have similar experience, but not on the refund. It is on the status update of the orders. My order got stuck on the shipping process. The first CSR just helped me upgrade the shipping method and then the status got updated. However, it actually didn't work since my order had never dispatched. The second CSR knew the actual problem and helped me submit a TT to the IT department. Within few hours, my problem got resolved.

Btw, if you encounter this kind of problem and already chat with 2 or 3 CSRs, you should post the problem from Amazon Facebook and get additional help. It seems they are taking more serious from Facebook.
I had a similar issue two weeks ago. Order was shipped, delivered, and then I also returned the item but the order status was stuck in Preparing for Shipment. Since the order status was stuck, any kind of refund did not get processed. After waiting about a week or so, I finally got a rep who just made the refund on another order instead of claiming he/she "escalated the issue with high priority."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5691 posts
7123 upvotes
I have the same issue as you, but I don't need to return the item. However, since it stucks in "preparing for shipment" status, I wasn't able to receive the cash rebate value. After going through 1 supervisor and 2 CSRs, the third CSR finally compensated the amount of rebate directly via Amazon credit. The second CSR already filed TT to IT department. It seems there is no way for them manually move the status.

It seems Amazon has all sorts of problem. Last month, I order an item which should be 1 case (multiple of units). However, they sent me the wrong item at the first time in one order. For the 2nd to 7th orders, they sent me ONLY one unit. I got confirmation from at least 4 CSRs that I will receive one case of item in future and even they sent TT to different department and leave notes in orders. You know what !!!! I still received ONLY 1 unit in all my replacement. Don't know what Amazon's staff is doing. Are they day-dreaming ???? In this case, I cannot blame CSRs since they already did the best. However, I don't know if Amazon inventory and shipping staffs know their job responsibilities. Anyways, eventually the last CSR refund all money back to me. I think Amazon lost close to $100 with all 7 replacement orders + 7 original orders since I don't need to return all units from the original & replacement orders.
hvwozq wrote: I had a similar issue two weeks ago. Order was shipped, delivered, and then I also returned the item but the order status was stuck in Preparing for Shipment. Since the order status was stuck, any kind of refund did not get processed. After waiting about a week or so, I finally got a rep who just made the refund on another order instead of claiming he/she "escalated the issue with high priority."
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
my sister recently had an issue as well, made an order then cancelled it ten minutes later to add another item (CSR said that was the only way) when she checked her bank she had been charged for the cancelled order. Amazon claimed they never charged her despite her providing proof of two charges on her card. She waited a week to ensure that it wasn't stuck in processing by amazon or her bank and ended up opening a dispute with the bank, Amazon refunded her the next day.