• Sep 18th, 2021 12:14 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes

Amazon return deadline question

Hi all,

I had a question about Amazon return date for items.

I'm not able to return something as I won't be back home for over a week and I don't have the item on me currently.

On my amazon orders page it states "Return eligible through Sep. 4, 2021". Does that mean I have to start the return process on my amazon Orders page by that date OR does it mean I have to return it by that date?

Thank you.
34 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
You have to start the return process by that date & you have a bit of time to get it back to them. If they have not received after a while it they will send you an email with a new deadline to get it in the mail.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1619 upvotes
B.C.
Apparently the return labels expire - I've sent things back late and hoped for the best but the chat agent has said they expire and issued a new one.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
lecale wrote: You have to start the return process by that date & you have a bit of time to get it back to them. If they have not received after a while it they will send you an email with a new deadline to get it in the mail.
lennyandcarl wrote: Apparently the return labels expire - I've sent things back late and hoped for the best but the chat agent has said they expire and issued a new one.
I thought you had 30 days for things like electronics? So it doesn’t matter if I “Start a Return” even though the 30 day will be up before I send it?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
TheSlav wrote: I thought you had 30 days for things like electronics? So it doesn’t matter if I “Start a Return” even though the 30 day will be up before I send it?
I have started returns on the last day of the return window & not got the stuff back right away & they sent me an email saying if I did not get it in the mail by date x, they would keep the charge on my account. I cannot remember how many days grace I had, but you should be ok to start the return on the last day & have a little leeway about getting it in the mail.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3521 posts
1630 upvotes
Ottawa
You have to initiate it by Sept 4, and IIRC, hand it off to Canada Post by Sept 5.

This is based purely on what they post on their site. I don't know if they actually enforce that date strictly though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: You have to initiate it by Sept 4, and IIRC, hand it off to Canada Post by Sept 5.

This is based purely on what they post on their site. I don't know if they actually enforce that date strictly though.
You can also use UPS, I had both options always.

But I understand now what you mean. As long as the item is scanned with Canada Post/UPS and shows “accepted at post office” on Amazon. I will be okay.

Damn it’s so hard to articulate this lol.

Thanks for the clarification everyone! ❤️
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3521 posts
1630 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a FYI that Amazon re-uses tracking numbers (i.e. used again before Canada post clears it out of the system after 6 months of issue)

As a result, entering the tracking # on the CP site will show Multiple PIN - so make sure you keep the proof/receipt from the post office!

Not sure if they recycle tracking numbers with UPS
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI that Amazon re-uses tracking numbers (i.e. used again before Canada post clears it out of the system after 6 months of issue)

As a result, entering the tracking # on the CP site will show Multiple PIN - so make sure you keep the proof/receipt from the post office!

I didn’t know this! Good to know, thanks you!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
Hey guys!

Thanks for everyone that helped me answer my initial question about Amazon return dates.

My question now is, how long does it take for Amazon Canada website to update the UPS item accepted/shipped on their website?

I started the high value return yesterday and gave it to the UPS store, they scanned it and I made sure to get a receipt. Also, the UPS tracking shows enroute and estimated delivery September 7th. When I check Amazon, it still says “Return by September 5th” and it doesn’t show that UPS has it or anything.

Does it matter at this point what it says on the website as I have shipped the package on September 4th already?
Last edited by TheSlav on Sep 4th, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14999 posts
11511 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I've shipped back items at the very last date and still got my refund after the due date.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I've shipped back items at the very last date and still got my refund after the due date.
That’s good to know, thank you so much. My anxiety has dropped a bit lol. I’m always afraid when it doesn’t update on Amazon website that UPS has the package before that “ship by date”.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1227 upvotes
I shipped an item back last month and got a refund before the Amazon status ever changed. It was a day or two after it was handed to UPS.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17944 posts
12629 upvotes
Markham
Ojam wrote: I shipped an item back last month and got a refund before the Amazon status ever changed. It was a day or two after it was handed to UPS.
I believe Amazon gets some kind of notification that the return has been handed off to the courier and they just process the refund on a kind of honour basis. Probably also depends on the value.

On a separate note i missed the return period on an item once and i opened a chat and they let me return it by emailing me the shipping label. That's good customer service IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I believe Amazon gets some kind of notification that the return has been handed off to the courier and they just process the refund on a kind of honour basis. Probably also depends on the value.

On a separate note i missed the return period on an item once and i opened a chat and they let me return it by emailing me the shipping label. That's good customer service IMO.
So question.

My item was returned back to Amazon on September 7th via UPS. The UPS tracking shows delivered and released by the driver, etc.

It’s been 5 days, no refund yet. Is this normal?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17944 posts
12629 upvotes
Markham
TheSlav wrote: So question.

My item was returned back to Amazon on September 7th via UPS. The UPS tracking shows delivered and released by the driver, etc.

It’s been 5 days, no refund yet. Is this normal?
Open up a chat is my recommendation. I did that when i missed my return window and person sent me a return label via email no questions asked really.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2490 posts
1808 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI that Amazon re-uses tracking numbers (i.e. used again before Canada post clears it out of the system after 6 months of issue)

Yes. ALWAYS get the receipt. Too many shenanigans at CP.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Open up a chat is my recommendation. I did that when i missed my return window and person sent me a return label via email no questions asked really.
Just saw this.

Funny my first thought was go on the chat and talk to someone. I actually did that and the person requested a refund immediately. Thanks for the help!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21909 posts
34513 upvotes
ONTARIO
TheSlav wrote: You can also use UPS, I had both options always.

But I understand now what you mean. As long as the item is scanned with Canada Post/UPS and shows “accepted at post office” on Amazon. I will be okay.

Damn it’s so hard to articulate this lol.

Thanks for the clarification everyone! ❤️
I always have both options available as well, but always choose UPS since they will come pick it up for free. Very convenient to not have to go to one of those UPS drop-off locations.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)