Amazon Seller Doesn't refund return shipping cost

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 1:36 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2018
30 posts
1 upvote

Amazon Seller Doesn't refund return shipping cost

I have a problem with Amazon CA, as many might have had the same. I purchased an item on Amazon from a marketplace seller, not fulfilled by Amazon, the product was not as described (size discrepancy), and I had to return it. The seller's warehouse was so far across the border that it cost me an arm and a leg to send them back the item. Then I requested the seller to refund the cost of shipping the item back, but they refused. Amazon also claims that I can't claim A-Z guarantee because it's market place seller! I didn't know the seller will ask me to send the item far away if I decide to return it. Does anyone have a similar/same experience?! Thanks for your opinions
18 replies
May 2, 2013
275 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately you're not covered for shipping in any case, even if the item arrived damaged. Bank won't support you either.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2549 posts
1330 upvotes
London
bestmbamab wrote: I have a problem with Amazon CA, as many might have had the same. I purchased an item on Amazon from a marketplace seller, not fulfilled by Amazon, the product was not as described (size discrepancy), and I had to return it. The seller's warehouse was so far across the border that it cost me an arm and a leg to send them back the item. Then I requested the seller to refund the cost of shipping the item back, but they refused. Amazon also claims that I can't claim A-Z guarantee because it's market place seller! I didn't know the seller will ask me to send the item far away if I decide to return it. Does anyone have a similar/same experience?! Thanks for your opinions
when u buy 3rd party and its not shipped by amazon return shipping is on u. next time use netparcel for your shipping the discounts are good netparcel-shipping-rates-45-60-off-2296241/
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13776 posts
3786 upvotes
Scarberia
anyone else get amazon to put serial numbers on your electronic stuff when u order now? my yi cams have serial numbers on the order info now! not sure if its specific brands or all eletronic stuff? anyone confirm this or not tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Nov 5, 2018
322 posts
266 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: anyone else get amazon to put serial numbers on your electronic stuff when u order now? my yi cams have serial numbers on the order info now! not sure if its specific brands or all eletronic stuff? anyone confirm this or not tia
This is off topic, but anyways...

I don't buy a lot of electronics from Amazon (mostly accessories) but many retailers record serial numbers. If you go buy a TV at Wal-Mart, they're going to scan the UPC, and then scan the serial number too. Amazon has always done this for their own products (Echos etc).
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45056 posts
5603 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ptlr036615 wrote: Unfortunately you're not covered for shipping in any case, even if the item arrived damaged. Bank won't support you either.
I don't believe that's correct. The seller should have provided OP with a label based on the A-Z guarantee: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889410

OP, I don't understand why you were told it does not fall into A-Z, because it clearly should. A-Z is specifically for third-party sellers.
Last edited by Jon Lai on Feb 14th, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14952 posts
3328 upvotes
Toronto
@bestmbamab

I would email jeff@amazon.com and write a polite email about what you received and the problem you had. Also include this link to the A to Z policy https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889410 and as listed in part 2 and part 4, the return costs should be paid by the seller and the seller should refund the entire cost.

Note that this is an escalations email so be polite and specify exactly what you want i.e. full refund of all costs.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14952 posts
3328 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: I don't believe that's correct. The seller should have provided OP with a label based on the A-Z guarantee: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201889410

OP, I don't understand why you were told it does not fall into A-Z, because it clearly should. A-Z is specifically for third-party sellers.
You had quoted amazon.com which is the US policy. The Canadian one is https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889410

I'm sure they are similar but just wanted to post the correct one in case people need to refer to the Canadian Policies.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45056 posts
5603 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hightech wrote: You had quoted amazon.com which is the US policy. The Canadian one is https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889410

I'm sure they are similar but just wanted to post the correct one in case people need to refer to the Canadian Policies.
My apologies, thanks for the correction.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28361 posts
8806 upvotes
Well yeah it's a 3rd party seller, can't really expect Amazon to do much there with regards to shipping. Only items sold by Amazon themselves, or by third parties using Amazon fulfillment have the returns handled through Amazon. Even with fulfillment-by-Amazon orders though you should always check the return policy ahead of time as whether return shipping is free or not, is up to the seller.
Oct 9, 2011
614 posts
236 upvotes
return policy for market place seller should be the same as items sold directly from amazon.ca. if it's "item not desribed", seller should pay for return shipping

what do you mean by "size discrepancy"? They sent the wrong size or measurement is off?
Jul 20, 2017
143 posts
102 upvotes
Did you already ship the item back? You can't expect reimbursement if no one offered it to you before you shipped. You need to communicate with the seller before making a decision of shipping an expensive package.

Sellers have no way of refunding you more than the cost of the item you paid unless it is paid using a 3rd party site which is not allowed and would not advise.

I agree with you that the seller should provide the return label but I think you should contact Amazon if you feel a label should be provided and explain the situation.

Now, be honest, how bad is the difference in the product? What did you buy? What did you expect vs. What you received?
Feb 3, 2021
59 posts
10 upvotes
How'd this pan out? Also what was the the 3rd Party Merchant's Shipping/Return Policy? I've noticed it seems fairly common for merchants online generally to make consumer responsible for return shipping... is that not the case with Amazon ever? Granted this was an error I guess. Did they explicitly send the incorrect size or there was just confusion about the size of the product?
Oct 9, 2011
614 posts
236 upvotes
GloryFades wrote: How'd this pan out? Also what was the the 3rd Party Merchant's Shipping/Return Policy? I've noticed it seems fairly common for merchants online generally to make consumer responsible for return shipping... is that not the case with Amazon ever? Granted this was an error I guess. Did they explicitly send the incorrect size or there was just confusion about the size of the product?
If it's the seller's fault for sending wrong item or defective item, return policy for market place seller is the same as items purchased sold by amazon.ca, seller should cover return shipping.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28361 posts
8806 upvotes
jjesskaka wrote: return policy for market place seller should be the same as items sold directly from amazon.ca.
Negative Ghostrider, marketplace sellers are free to set their own return policy...including a "no returns" policy. Assuming these things is how people get into these situations.
Dec 8, 2009
569 posts
558 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Negative Ghostrider, marketplace sellers are free to set their own return policy...including a "no returns" policy. Assuming these things is how people get into these situations.
As already posted, this says otherwise:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889410
The Amazon A-to-z Guarantee protects you when you purchase items sold and fulfilled by a third-party seller. Our guarantee covers both the timely delivery and the condition of your items. If either are unsatisfactory, report the problem and our team determines whether you are eligible for a refund.
Oct 9, 2011
614 posts
236 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Negative Ghostrider, marketplace sellers are free to set their own return policy...including a "no returns" policy. Assuming these things is how people get into these situations.
not true... if there is something wrong with the product, seller cannot refuse return. Even if they do, you can easily contact amazon customer service, they can give you the refund. unlike ebay, money does not go directly to seller, money goes to amazon first. amazon will take money from seller's bank account/credit card if amazon end up refunding buyer
Nov 12, 2012
572 posts
261 upvotes
Port Moody
This is why it's better to buy on eBay, than it is any 3rd party seller on Amazon. Sellers on eBay have to pay return shipping if you file a SNAD. It's the best place to buy anything these days that isn't Amazon Prime (and as such, one of the worst places to sell... buyer scammers abound!).
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
3337 posts
6093 upvotes
Laval
mikka2017 wrote: anyone else get amazon to put serial numbers on your electronic stuff when u order now? my yi cams have serial numbers on the order info now! not sure if its specific brands or all eletronic stuff? anyone confirm this or not tia
Amazon and other retailers are now starting to track serial numbers to trace back if the item was switch or tapered when returned, also a lot of manufacturers require serial on receipt for warranties .